Friends Helping Friends (Our Boy Tempy)
  • What is the job your going for temps?
    Is that piccie from the place?

Good luck bro.
  • You'll be fine Tempy old bean. You are simply too smart not to do quite well, at the very least. I think quite well - as I see it the worst possible scenario, is good enough, at first, for an arts grad, but I suspect you'll do better much than that. You just need to go through this horrible stage of insecurity to get there that many do, but get there you will.
  • Tempy wrote:
    They have told me I am still in the running and how long to expect to wait.

@dino, I generally have no issues with interviews, I often do quite well in them. Getting them is the chore, and I've had about 20 people look at my CV and it's about as tweaked as it can be. Stuff is just stacked and I have unfortunate experience that doesn't often lend itself to the jobs I am going for.

Well that's good to here your covering all your bases. Hopefully your luck will turn.
  • Vere wants rid of his Switch - let's buy it off him and send it to Jon
  • If Muzzy doesn't want it, I guess so?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This sounds like a far worthier cause than me adding to my PoS!
  • I think we risk going a little bit crazy with fundraisers. A worthy cause - Davie needing a flat to rent after his dad died; you needing to pay rent and get transport to a job interview, sure. Getting people consoles is a bit ridiculous, though, particularly when others might be financially struggling but either are not part of a clique/ don't have people like Shabs ready to start a fund.

I'll give you an example. Two years ago or more I gave some money to get Dan, djr, to London. Nickfullspec was running that. We went way over target for the train ticket, by over a hundred quid at least. When blueswirl, who had been having a bad time getting a job after his PhD, expressed an interest in coming to the London stock, I tentatively suggested using the excess to pay for his travel. No, it was spent on booze and chili and whatnot.

I thought that was thoroughly rum at the time, but old swirly quickly said he wasn't coming, so I didn't push it. I chose not to turn up at that stock.

Now, a month ago, the same Dan (djr) posted on the destiny thread that he was struggling to pay bills, and would do runs or account recoveries for ppl for money. AFAIK he is still struggling, since destiny kind of died and stream revenue with it.

I think he would rightly be upset to see us raise money for someone to get a console, all because he is to proud to ask for help and doesn't have a bunch of (nice) people like Shabs looking out for him. Instead he has unpopular grumpy old cunts like me putting a mirror to all you's

This is not a personal attack on anyone. I like 10p, I like Jon, I like Shabs. But we have to be aware that plenty of people see this kind of fund raising as a but cliquey, unwieldy and perhaps unfair. That's the last I'll say on the topic.
  • I fully understand that, I would hate for the idea it's a clique thing to be the case, although I can see why people would think that. There's nothing going on behind the scenes here either, it was just an offhand thought because of Vere's offer in the Switch thread.

I'd say that although their are cliques at times, visibility of issues is generally more the motivator. I spend a lot of time on here and that has coincided with a lot of my griefs at my current situation being aired. That visibility breeds a response. I don't talk to Dan half as often as I should but I know he's going through a rough patch. I also know it's unrealistic to expect everyone to chip in every month. I've never asked for help and I have expressed being uncomfortable with it - such is the nature of charity . Of the money I got given I have only spent £25 so far, I don't really know what to do with it other than keep it in case things go shite.

I agree with you on the whole though, I get the idea of it being unweildy. In the end if people want to do stuff privately then that's up to them I suppose, and that's fairer than anything else.
  • Totally agree with Gonz. I have no problem contributing towards things I perceive as needs rather than wants, but I do think buying people consoles over helping folks survive isn't something that sits well with me. I get that it isn't an either/or but hope you get my drift. Ultimately though, if people want to do lovely gestures like purchasing consoles then it's their money to do with as they see fit. 

I have previously mooted that I've got a bit uncomfortable when I've seen targets smashed and that money has then gone to the same person. Rather, why not use some of that to help another badger in need? When I mentioned this before, Paul and Andy were having a rum old time and I thought they would have been blown away by an altruistic gesture out of the blue, a la Reg's card. 

I'd be more than happy to put money into a Badger in Need slush fund. I'm also happy to contribute to 'life support' initiatives. But contributing to helping someone get another console doesn't sit well with me. I do try and pass on as much help and freebies as I can and hope I don't come out of this looking like a tight arse, but I'd rather put £20 towards a Badger's rough patch than towards being able to play platform exclusives.

Edit - reading that back I didn't want it to seem like I'm criticising what an amazing sense of community there is and how great it is that there is such caring to our fellow forumites. Just wanted to justify my position.
  • I agree too, I only mentioned what I mentioned as part of the tail of the previous gesture. It's easy enough to miss everyone's situation.
  • Gonz, you want some dough?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For whatever it's worth, when Billy raised that money that bought me a Bone, I was in dire financial straits. My incomings weren't covering my outgoings, I was surviving on a credit card and I was falling further into debt every day.

It's entirely arguable that in that situation, focusing on needs and handing me some cash would have been a better move, but the truth is, I doubt that it would have been. That X hundred pounds would have been swallowed up by the situation I was in within moments. Instead, I got something which gave me a bit of a respite from the situation I was in, that allowed me to join you lovely badgers for games and which frankly blew me away by showing me how much people cared. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from the idea of direct help for those that need it, I'm certainly happy to contribute now that my situation has improved, but I don't agree that buying someone a console is entirely frivolous. It may be a want rather than a need, but if your situation is such that you are unable to fulfil any of your wants because you are struggling to cover your needs, having people step in and help you out with something nice for you is a wonderful thing.
  • Fuck you Griff, I'll suck cock before I accept ur ill gotten gains!
  • Said caveat can be facilitated.
  • Just sidling in to say I'm on the same page as Gonz hence being happy to help out Gav and Temps for actual real world financial issues but have quite deliberately ignored the buy X a console fundraisers.  Then of course between the time I started writing this, got distracted by bedtime routine and came back to it Yoss had posted and goddammit Yoss for pointing out that it's not quite that binary.

I'm still not contributing to console funds though.  Bunch of arse.
  • @Yoss, it was funding people multiple consoles which I had an issue with, not their first next gen console. I could fully get behind your XB1. 
    Stopharage wrote:
    I'd be more than happy to put money into a Badger in Need slush fund. I'm also happy to contribute to 'life support' initiatives. But contributing to helping someone get another console doesn't sit well with me. I do try and pass on as much help and freebies as I can and hope I don't come out of this looking like a tight arse, but I'd rather put £20 towards a Badger's rough patch than towards being able to play platform exclusives.
  • Well now I feel bad and don't really have anything else to contribute apart from that I wouldn't have expected such a generous thing to happen to me, it was incredibly kind-hearted, and in no way would I begrudge anyone thinking it was a mad thing to do. 

This could all get very uncomfortable though, chaps. Tread kindly.
  • Nobody needs to feel awkward or uncomfortable for either giving or receiving, regardless of the reason.  If I had infinite money I'd buy you ALL some ham. 

Then eat it.
  • This could all get very uncomfortable though, chaps. Tread kindly.

I think it's great that these acts of kindness happen. No-one need feel uncomfortable for receiving anything and no-one has ever been made to feel uncomfortable for not contributing. There's never any point-scoring in theses initiatives and just a wholesome sense of community.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Fuck you Griff, I'll suck cock before I accept ur ill gotten gains!

I think I’d want to know whose cock it is. If it’s the girl I posted in the sins thread last night, I’d suck that before I took money. If it was Griff’s cock, I’d consider taking the cash, as it would feel less sordid.
  • <3 Stoph & Unlikely. Not the mention of Griff's cock.
  • If I could help out more, I would. Guess with finite disposable income there needs to be some criteria. If I could get you a book deal Tigro, I would. (Meant to give you feedback on your recent effort, will pop there now..)
  • Right, so I've ordered my copy of Zelda. When's this Switch coming?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Unfortunately for you that's been grandfathered
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • What if it's an emotional support Switch?
    With a little yellow jacket and it's own passport?
  • If I may throw in my tuppence-worth.

I understand that at times, a luxury item is better than cash. At other times, cash might be better. Sometimes a gesture is better, or more appropriate, than either of those.

There is the potential for ill-feeling, though. Whether it’s someone feeling that their dire-straits are considered less worthy, or they are a less valued member of the community, or guilt. We all know that none of these are things people should feel, but they are understandable, human responses.

I fully understand Tempy’s urge/desire to pay something back/forward.

I think the main thing to bear in mind is what Stoph said above; nobody should feel bad for receiving (or not), nobody should feel bad for contributing (or not). But, I can see why it would be easy to feel bad falling into any category, in these sensitive circumstances.

None of this is really heading towards any particular point. I agreed with Gonzo’s initial reaction, although I don’t know enough (read: anything, sorry) about Jon’s current circumstances to fairly comment on a Switch purchase.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Agreed with a lot of the recent posts. I'll always love you guys for buying me an Xbox One, and Yoss for starting it, but I have to be honest its rarely played, hence my protests at the time. Now I've got a good income coming in its genuinely just sat there, and I feel a bit of a cunt for not playing it. Putting money towards those who actually need it is an awesome thing and God bless yous all.
  • I suppose I should write a proper post, although it's a bit of an odd position to be in. I did see this a couple of hours ago, just decided to leave it for a while before responding.

First, there's no need for a Switch. I'm kind of set on getting one at some point now and tend to consider the possibility whenever a decent sale pops up, but always know in the end I really can't do it yet. It's fine, it can wait. I have a PS4.

Second, I think we started doing this because certain groups wanted to buy someone a console but it's developed into bigger things. This thread in particular, but also Davie's fund, were far more worthwhile and necessary, so perhaps this wasn't the right place for it.

Third, it's also probably too soon to have another whip round when there've been quite a few of these more worthwhile ones in the last year.

On the other hand, no matter how reasonable it all is, it doesn't feel great being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyway, positive note to end - it was a nice thought, Tempy. Thanks.
  • I intend to keep all my Switch games, even though I doubt I'll replay any.  Not sure why I'm doing that, but that's the way it's going this time.  Grab the console when you can and I'd be happy to lend you the software.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!