Friends Helping Friends (Our Boy Tempy)
  • Just to come to the defense of Nick somewhat here.
    I have gotten on with Nick well since very early on posting here and meeting him in London. I can't imagine him deliberately ignoring attempts to get Swirl to a meet, I have only ever found him to be extremely accommodating, he just isn't that guy. I seem to remember at the time Nick changed to Fullspectrum and was having some issues at work that meant he wasn't on here much.

I was at a meet when Dan came down (we chatted about Zlatan ALOT), if that is the meet being discussed Nick was generous in hosting us at his place, I wasn't there the whole time so don't know about who spent what on what but generally rounds, beers and food were being shared freely.

If that was the meet it is a shame Swirly didn't make it, would have liked to have met him, but I dont believe there was anything malicious going on. Nick was wrangling about 15-20 people at the time.

He is nice to his friends, sure.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    I think I'm going to have to duck out. Probably won't be able to stretch to the train ticket, and my brother is out of town then so I won't have anywhere to stay, either.

If I had my old place, and living arrangements without 1 year old, in Mordor/Streatham I'd have offered to put you up straight away, sorry to hear that.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    Boooo. Where would you be travelling from?

Shropshire.
    You're in the UK Swirl!!? You have GOT TO come!

If I can magic up some money in the interim, I'll be there.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    Well, in the next few days I'll be rooting through the loft to dig out my old consoles. They'll go in the second hand thread before eBay. Maybe I'll find a rare gem. :)
    Good luck.

12 days till this goes down

Source http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/2077/friends-helping-friends-our-boy-tempy#Item_473

This never sat well with me. I didn't go. I could be wrong, but here we were, we raised more than the target amount, Dan had his ticket, and here was another guy - long term poater, and we were telling him, sorry no room and sure luv let us know if you can afford a ticket. If it were me who had raised this sum, I'd have offered the excess towards swirly's ticket. Maybe that's just me, I'm terminally unselfish and others are more well adjusted: I like Dan, let's spend the money on Dan and others getting booze.

We tried to raise the money by pm, but swirly in the end didn't have a place to stay. All I'm saying is, making a big fuss about these kind of fundraisers risks putting some people's noses out of joints. It can feel cliquey.

Here we are, raised all this money to help 10p... And Dan, the djr, is struggling. And the next thing is to buy Vere's switch and send it to Jon B? Fucking love JB, biillut jeez, let's have some self-awarwness here.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    I have no idea about the Nick situation, but he’s always struck me as one of the most genuine chaps on here. He was also having a rum time of it when you all met up. The lack of comms seems likely to have been due to this rather than skullduggery. Also, I’m always wary of discussions about forumites when they’re not around to speak up.

Also, the guy isn’t a charity and has a young family to provide for. If he fed and watered loads of you, we should expect some cash should go his way( if any did), no? Not disregarding whether that would have been the intentions of donators, obvs.

Again, we just need to keep in mind that not one recipient asked for the help they received, no pressure was put on people to participate and we all had the choice on whether to participate.

Apologies to Jon, who seems to have had an unfair crack of the whip here.

Same to JB. I can't remember how much I have, let's say 20 quid. I gave it so Dan could get his ticket. I didn't give it so LivDiv could have a free meal. He makes a living and I'm sure could have contributed to the catering. Anyhoo, I feel like I'm detracting from the central point: I was just using that as an example.

• TBF, no room to accom seems legit.
    We were stacked in that place. Wall to wall people from the living room, through kitchen and a bunch in the garden, iirc he was already putting Dan up and that really would have been it for space. Nick's way is that he really hosts people, there is only so much a man can do with that even if there is space, everyone has their standards. I'm the opposite, I'm a "heres the floor hope you brought a sleeping bag, kettle is in the kitchen, help yourself" kind of person.

I had no idea on the space thing, I would have offered otherwise, I had Beano stay and offered space to Temps as well.

Edit: I got no free meal either. Nick catered early in the day before I arrived, later we all chipped in for takeaway which Nick then smoked, grilled and generally laboured over. Push come to shove I would say I spent more than I consumed that day, but whatevs for those from outside London it was expensive. You are barking up the wrong tree here Gonzo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    We offered you that you bloody wally, remember, Yoss had an anal prolapse because I said I was going.

Yes but I was fucked up way back. I'll be meeting you, nick, rouj and other London mans before year's end. ozno too if he pipes down
    We were stacked in that place. Wall to wall people from the living room, through kitchen and a bunch in the garden, iirc he was already putting Dan up and that really would have been it for space. Nick's way is that he really hosts people, there is only so much a man can do with that even if there is space, everyone has their standards. I'm the opposite, I'm a "heres the floor hope you brought a sleeping bag, kettle is in the kitchen, help yourself" kind of person.

I had no idea on the space thing, I would have offered otherwise, I had Beano stay and offered space to Temps as well.

I'm not talking about the room. I'm talking about the train ticket. Nick's house is his place, his room his to give.

• I'd had a shitty day st my contracted 4 hours each day of the weekend shift as the heating was busted and I couldn't feel my fingers at the end of the shift. I grabbed a coffee to walk home with, and, reading the Switch thread I made the suggestion here to pass it forward, because I was grateful for the fact I didn't have to think twice about turning the heating on when I got in. I didn't expect things to take this turn. I understand everyone's perspective but I am sorry for essentially throwing Jon under the bus for not really thinking it through. I had no idea about Dan's sitch right now, I don't voraciously read threads like I used to, there are more than a few in the triple/quadruple undress figures at the moment.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've PMed Jon about the switch, I'll cover postage. Done, chill lads.
  • Not your fault bud, it's very hard to see it from the outside. I didn't until yesterday, just a heartwarming story etc. I gave a fair amount to Davie, I'm just as guilty as everyone of selective and unsystematic generosity
  • Don't stress yourself Temps, this isnt on you.

Is but our nature on here to analyse everything.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We offered you that you bloody wally, remember, Yoss had an anal prolapse because I said I was going.

I just said that I wasn’t going to drink with you. I stand by that decision.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Next Gen thread 2 by tomorrow's end

Edit: I got no free meal either. Nick catered early in the day before I arrived, later we all chipped in for takeaway which Nick then smoked, grilled and generally laboured over. Push come to shove I would say I spent more than I consumed that day, but whatevs for those from outside London it was expensive. You are barking up the wrong tree here Gonzo.

I was just using you as an example : in rebuttal to Stoph's pointb that hosting isn't free, there are costs. Well, I just thought those hosted could be asked to contribute to the kitty. Which you did! So what's the issue?
    Also, the guy isn’t a charity and has a young family to provide for. If he fed and watered loads of you, we should expect some cash should go his way( if any did), no? Not disregarding whether that would have been the intentions of donators, obvs.

• No issue I just think you have gotten the wrong end of the stick about what happened. I don't believe you thought hosting was free, was pointing out that Nick bent over backwards to accommodate and it seems unlikely (not him) that Nick would have deliberately left someone out.
  • Next Gen thread 2 by tomorrow's end

Wasn't my intention to get sour, it's late and im posting quickly, which I guess means ppl apt to misinterpret.

PS- for the record, this has nothing to do with the fact that I am tens of thousands of pounds in debt because of my compulsive camwhore addiction.
  • No issue I just think you have gotten the wrong end of the stick about what happened. I don't believe you thought hosting was free, was pointing out that Nick bent over backwards to accommodate and it seems unlikely (not him) that Nick would have deliberately left someone out.

I'm not talking about hosting, I'm talking about the fundraiser. Which was for a train ticket. And nick ignoring the fact that blue swirl couldn't afford one. It's right there in the posts I quoted. "I'm gonna sell my old consoles and games."

"Good luck"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• If you want us to raise money to pay the cam whores then just ask man.

Edit: Still missing my point. Call me a character witness and your link posts etc are very, very open to interpretation.
    To me it looks like Nick has already put a lot on himself, others have said they will help to get Swirl there and he has said "Good Luck".
  • They banned me from most of these sites now
  • Stop posting "SHOW PUSSY" without tipping then.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I had Beano stay and offered space to Temps as well.

Beano's cheating! Let's see you put up Unlikely. Or Skerret.

I only mentioned the Jon Thing with a mind to him paying £100 or so for a Switch, if a few of us wanted to subsidise that with short-term loans. SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA A FEW HOURS AGO
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I vote for DS to send his Switch to Jon, before our charity well's dry.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE FAM SUCK IT
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hello I need a new pair of everything
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • We only have GM produce here now, sorry.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    shit

can anyone spare an artisinal pastry hutch
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    i will send you some daim bars mate
  • We have the bigliest pastry
    "Big" is our new reference of quality.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd buy Skez a Bounty, but he'd probably enjoy it.

Let's crowdfund him a crate of American chocolate.
  • Nick put himself out a lot for me the first day I met him. One of the kindest and most generous guys I've ever met.

Um.

I said to fucking tread kindly, guys.
  • It's fucking simple. Someone needs assistance, an individual asks if anyone wants to help. Help is provided. If the recipient doesn't want help or funds raised are excessive (determined by contributors) then contributors vote on what happens collectively (UK trustee rules).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!