Friends Helping Friends (Our Boy Tempy)
  • legaldinho wrote:
    No dig at Jon was intended. It's just, we raise money, self congratulate, but there is no system for inclusiveness or fairness. It means that the quieter people who are struggling financially watch this and are, well, bitter and disillusioned. Or think they aren't liked. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.
    The problem is that because there hasn't been a system of inclusiveness or fairness, bringing it up now, when someone's just been 'nominated' for this thing can't help but feel unfair and exclusive. Not that I want to moan or generate pity, but maybe you want to consider the impact of your good intentions as well.

To put it in perspective, I was originally in two minds about the whole buy someone a console thing for the same reason. It generally just took one person to mention it and that was that, regardless of who the recipient was. I wondered whether it was fair, or whether the inevitable extra money that was collected might have gone to someone else, rather than to get extra games/peripherals. 

But I always also thought it was just a really nice thing to do, and it was great that someone who couldn't afford something suddenly got this great surprise, and in fact ended up with a really great package of console + games etc. And the more times it happened the more I found myself leaning towards this interpretation - just pleased for the person receiving, without any bitterness, disillusionment or sense that it reflected badly on my status on the forum in any way.

So, what I want to say is that everyone should buy me a Switch and all the games. No, just kidding. What I want to say is that, even though I absolutely do not want you guys to buy me a Switch, I feel like this really nice thing that people do here has been poisoned now. I guess no one will feel comfortable suggesting that someone should be bought a console anymore, which I think is a bit shit. There are of course more important causes, and even I've donated small amounts to those, but I think those should be considered separately from these other drives which are more for fun, and I hope the latter can continue in some way.
  • In the meantime, DS, in all his glory, has offered a lend of his Switch, which is a fantastic gesture.

If a few people are going to borrow it, I think it would be nice for each of us to buy an extra game or two for it, so when it gets back to him he's got a good bunch of extra stuff to play. Although I have a feeling he hates Bayonetta...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Only chatted to Nick over Destiny and he seems like a top guy. Most people on this forum and certainly with things like this thread, secret Santa etc are all top folks. 

I’ll give to whatever I personally think is worthy and that can vary for no apparent reason (top tip though, start these things late on a Friday night when I’m pissed and feeling even more altruistic) and the cause could be as serious as someone needing a leg up when the shit it’s to fan to Skerret needing new $10,000 headphones (sorry Skez had to go cheap there). 

One general thought that may or may not work is someone creating a thread to take unwanted gaming gear and sell it on eBay. I invariably end up with stuff that doesn’t get picked up in the swap thread and as I hate eBay I never sell it. If stuff like that could be sold by someone who can be arsed to I’d pass it on.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good post there Jon and DS is a star for lending out his Switch. But none of the preceding posts have made me think buying someone else a console is a bad idea and, as I said above, I will contribute when I feel like it. I hope others will too.
  • I should add, actually, before I start to sound too pitiful, that I have often been the recipient of people's generosity here in the past. Whether just posting stuff all the way here to Cyprus with the costs that entails, prizes for my questionable input in competitions (Shinobi rhymes with hobby, OK?), offers to send me new headphones that turn into biscuit tins full of games, lending me games that they haven't even played themselves yet, or remarkably large Secret Santa gifts.

So I have had my fair share already and totally appreciate it. You guys and girl(s?) are just super.
  • I've caught up with everything and I now feel quite shit.

Gonz, let me try to explain. 

The issue seems to be that once we were over target for Dan's ticket, that I didn't then start planning to pay for Swirl to come to London. I have no PMs about driving donations for that, so I'm not sure what you're referencing there, but in the thread I had addressed his interest in coming by unfortunately saying there was no room to stay at my tiny flat where I already had Dan. I did not ignore it, but hoped for the best that he was going to be able to attend. That felt like the most I could do. To me, starting another donation drive during the one I was nervously trying to make good on was outside the scope of what had started to come together. 

That scope, having started the whole thing with no real plan, had begun growing. I felt that by promising things like good-quality food on arrival, some drinks, and BBQ sauce to take home, that it was becoming a better value thing to spend money on. Side note, @spacegazelle, I still owe you a sauce, I am sorry for the delay. 

For the record, having gone over the numbers this morning, I spent the extra ~£80 on making that BBQ sauce, the food I spent ages sourcing and cooking and providing decent booze for those that came to my house first. Probably a bit more than that, considering where I shopped for the stuff. The point is to then take that stuff away from people would have been rum as fuck. Quick shout to the resurgence of the word rum on this fo-rum btw, that's my only positive of all this. 

Looking at it now, 2.5 years later, I think if I had had more of a sense that my approach at the time was alienating people (or maybe just person, I dunno), I'd have rather just put out some lunchables, a couple of carrot sticks, some mighty-white dippers, a juicebox or two and spent the rest on Swirly's ticket. Sounds like I'm being silly but I do take the point that not everyone contributing cared about what type of provisions were being provided to those that came to my house.

In essence, I'd support what Griff is saying here:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    It's fucking simple. Someone needs assistance, an individual asks if anyone wants to help. Help is provided. If the recipient doesn't want help or funds raised are excessive (determined by contributors) then contributors vote on what happens collectively (UK trustee rules).
    Gonz, I'd be more than happy to paypal your score back or make a charitable donation somewhere of your choice, let me know.

The same goes for anyone else that might have been feeling the same, I'm very open to criticism or feedback on how I went about things.

Thanks to those that have shown support.
  • Everyone needs to dial back on the guilt. Everyone is ridiculously generous with time, money and sourcing shitty gifs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True story: I missed the stock in question as I realised at the point that I left the house that I couldn’t even afford to pay to travel three stops on the Overground. Lolme.
  • We're up to 12 now.  I've been keeping a rum diary.
  • JonB wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    No dig at Jon was intended. It's just, we raise money, self congratulate, but there is no system for inclusiveness or fairness. It means that the quieter people who are struggling financially watch this and are, well, bitter and disillusioned. Or think they aren't liked. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.
    The problem is that because there hasn't been a system of inclusiveness or fairness, bringing it up now, when someone's just been 'nominated' for this thing can't help but feel unfair and exclusive. Not that I want to moan or generate pity, but maybe you want to consider the impact of your good intentions as well.

To put it in perspective, I was originally in two minds about the whole buy someone a console thing for the same reason. It generally just took one person to mention it and that was that, regardless of who the recipient was. I wondered whether it was fair, or whether the inevitable extra money that was collected might have gone to someone else, rather than to get extra games/peripherals. 

But I always also thought it was just a really nice thing to do, and it was great that someone who couldn't afford something suddenly got this great surprise, and in fact ended up with a really great package of console + games etc. And the more times it happened the more I found myself leaning towards this interpretation - just pleased for the person receiving, without any bitterness, disillusionment or sense that it reflected badly on my status on the forum in any way.

So, what I want to say is that everyone should buy me a Switch and all the games. No, just kidding. What I want to say is that, even though I absolutely do not want you guys to buy me a Switch, I feel like this really nice thing that people do here has been poisoned now. I guess no one will feel comfortable suggesting that someone should be bought a console anymore, which I think is a bit shit. There are of course more important causes, and even I've donated small amounts to those, but I think those should be considered separately from these other drives which are more for fun, and I hope the latter can continue in some way.

I can well see why you feel burned, but really, I just had the say something. It's descended into farce a bit with discussion of a 2.5 year old use of a 100 quid overspend. Either we just keep going as we do, but maybe keep an eye out on those who might be missing out, or we have a target system - we need to raise X to cover Y; overspend can go to a stretch goal agreed or voted on, or can go to a hardship fund for those who need it, etc etc

All I wanted is to promote a discussion of an issue I know is rubbing people the wrong way.

• We can start a hardship fund but will need trustees and a trust account etc. Not proper formal and legal obviously, but just a trustworthy badger holding the funds and a few (5 or 6 say) badgers who vote on use and other stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've caught up with everything and I now feel quite shit.

Gonz, let me try to explain. 

The issue seems to be that once we were over target for Dan's ticket, that I didn't then start planning to pay for Swirl to come to London. I have no PMs about driving donations for that, so I'm not sure what you're referencing there, but in the thread I had addressed his interest in coming by unfortunately saying there was no room to stay at my tiny flat where I already had Dan. I did not ignore it, but hoped for the best that he was going to be able to attend. That felt like the most I could do. To me, starting another donation drive during the one I was nervously trying to make good on was outside the scope of what had started to come together. 

That scope, having started the whole thing with no real plan, had begun growing. I felt that by promising things like good-quality food on arrival, some drinks, and BBQ sauce to take home, that it was becoming a better value thing to spend money on. Side note, @spacegazelle, I still owe you a sauce, I am sorry for the delay. 

For the record, having gone over the numbers this morning, I spent the extra ~£80 on making that BBQ sauce, the food I spent ages sourcing and cooking and providing decent booze for those that came to my house first. Probably a bit more than that, considering where I shopped for the stuff. The point is to then take that stuff away from people would have been rum as fuck. Quick shout to the resurgence of the word rum on this fo-rum btw, that's my only positive of all this. 

Looking at it now, 2.5 years later, I think if I had had more of a sense that my approach at the time was alienating people (or maybe just person, I dunno), I'd have rather just put out some lunchables, a couple of carrot sticks, some mighty-white dippers, a juicebox or two and spent the rest on Swirly's ticket. Sounds like I'm being silly but I do take the point that not everyone contributing cared about what type of provisions were being provided to those that came to my house.

In essence, I'd support what Griff is saying here:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    It's fucking simple. Someone needs assistance, an individual asks if anyone wants to help. Help is provided. If the recipient doesn't want help or funds raised are excessive (determined by contributors) then contributors vote on what happens collectively (UK trustee rules).
    Gonz, I'd be more than happy to paypal your score back or make a charitable donation somewhere of your choice, let me know.

The same goes for anyone else that might have been feeling the same, I'm very open to criticism or feedback on how I went about things.

Thanks to those that have shown support.

Thanks, but I don't want that money back. I just want more sensitivity, going forward, to inclusiveness and non-cliqueyness. It's a difficult issue: do we make it really awesome for X, or do we spread the joy a bit. At the time, you and Dan were right, you chose the former. I chose that as an example because I think now, Dan might rightly be aggrieved that we raised money for tempy but not him. And doubly so if the follow up on that is to get someone a console. Anyway, that is the end of that for me.

• Well, catching up  on this thread has been quite a ride.

I think we’re all grown-ups here and appreciate Gonz making us stop and think a bit. 

Personally, I’d like to carry on with things as they are, but I’ll be that little bit more mindful of what we’re actually doing from now on, especially with regard to how things might feel to any other badgers going through hard times. 

For me, bringing a bit of wider empathy to bear in future is a positive outcome from all this chat.
  • One thing that occurs to me is that financial aid during times of hardship and buying gifts for pals (consoles, games, etc) are two different things. Both are bloody beautiful things to do for a person, but they’re very different.

Also, buying a badger a console feels like a very B&B thing to do. Watching everyone rally round and buy DS a Bone, simply because some Badgers wanted him to be able to join in their online sessions (and in thanks for his near-constant assistance to anyone navigating the high seas) was a genuinely affecting thing. It warmed my cockles. And it was very different to helping out someone with a genuine need. Both are valid and lovely things to do.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    All I wanted is to promote a discussion of an issue I know is rubbing people the wrong way.
    I get that (although it's not clear whether anyone actually is being rubbed the wrong way), but you could've chosen a time in between funding drives to do it, so as not to leave someone caught in the middle.

As for a hardship fund, I don't think anyone really wants to ask for money, because you always feel like someone is more worthy, or perhaps think you're not central enough to the community to warrant it. I think this stuff has to be offered, and it will tend to go towards people who post more, or are more connected outside the forum, simply because their situation is more widely known. You can ask everyone to be more vigilant, but if someone who doesn't post much is having a tough time and no one really knows about it, then there's a limit to that. However, it does make sense IMO that if funds are raised for someone well over an initial target we might consider passing on the excess elsewhere.
  • poprock wrote:
    One thing that occurs to me is that financial aid during times of hardship and buying gifts for pals (consoles, games, etc) are two different things. Both are bloody beautiful things to do for a person, but they’re very different.
    I also think this is a very important point.
  • Edit: Deleting that one. PM seems better for it.
  • As long as we all understand what we have here, and that everyone is a dick, and everyone can be misconstrued and the majority of all the friction here is down to Hanlon's Razor then we'll be alright. Also accept that nobody will ever buy Griff anything.
  • I had to Google Hanlon’s Razor, but that’s a good ’un. Yep.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do just want to say that while a formalised hardship fund sounds nice in theory, I cannot help but feel that it’s going to cause problems. I mean, who becomes the arbiter of when these payments should be made? And how will people who are turned down for payments supposed to feel? Surely that’s going to cause a ton of bad feeling anyway?

I take on board Gonzo’s points around fairness here, but I feel like a hardship fund may well bring issues of its own.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    As long as we all understand what we have here, and that everyone is a dick, and everyone can be misconstrued and the majority of all the friction here is down to Hanlon's Razor then we'll be alright. Also accept that nobody will ever buy Griff anything.

Haven't I bought you a pint?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Haven't I bought you a Pimms?
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I've caught up with everything and I now feel quite shit. Gonz, let me try to explain.  The issue seems to be that once we were over target for Dan's ticket, that I didn't then start planning to pay for Swirl to come to London. I have no PMs about driving donations for that, so I'm not sure what you're referencing there, but in the thread I had addressed his interest in coming by unfortunately saying there was no room to stay at my tiny flat where I already had Dan. I did not ignore it, but hoped for the best that he was going to be able to attend. That felt like the most I could do. To me, starting another donation drive during the one I was nervously trying to make good on was outside the scope of what had started to come together.  That scope, having started the whole thing with no real plan, had begun growing. I felt that by promising things like good-quality food on arrival, some drinks, and BBQ sauce to take home, that it was becoming a better value thing to spend money on. Side note, @spacegazelle, I still owe you a sauce, I am sorry for the delay.  For the record, having gone over the numbers this morning, I spent the extra ~£80 on making that BBQ sauce, the food I spent ages sourcing and cooking and providing decent booze for those that came to my house first. Probably a bit more than that, considering where I shopped for the stuff. The point is to then take that stuff away from people would have been rum as fuck. Quick shout to the resurgence of the word rum on this fo-rum btw, that's my only positive of all this.  Looking at it now, 2.5 years later, I think if I had had more of a sense that my approach at the time was alienating people (or maybe just person, I dunno), I'd have rather just put out some lunchables, a couple of carrot sticks, some mighty-white dippers, a juicebox or two and spent the rest on Swirly's ticket. Sounds like I'm being silly but I do take the point that not everyone contributing cared about what type of provisions were being provided to those that came to my house. In essence, I'd support what Griff is saying here:
    Gonz, I'd be more than happy to paypal your score back or make a charitable donation somewhere of your choice, let me know. The same goes for anyone else that might have been feeling the same, I'm very open to criticism or feedback on how I went about things. Thanks to those that have shown support.
    Thanks, but I don't want that money back. I just want more sensitivity, going forward, to inclusiveness and non-cliqueyness. It's a difficult issue: do we make it really awesome for X, or do we spread the joy a bit. At the time, you and Dan were right, you chose the former. I chose that as an example because I think now, Dan might rightly be aggrieved that we raised money for tempy but not him. And doubly so if the follow up on that is to get someone a console. Anyway, that is the end of that for me.

All good with me, wider inclusion and empathy as a result of this can only be a good thing. 

If Swirl's reading, I want to apologise if the fundraiser I ran had a side-effect of making you feel shunned. It wasn't a deliberate thing. As I mentioned I was surprised we even hit target and when we went over, I wanted to try and make those that donated feel like they had got value. I completely see the argument for cutting it off at target and channeling the funds towards someone else. 

A clearer stretch goal, as we are saying we should have for the future, would have prevented this. It was an impulsive decision to see if we could get Dan down and by its nature, lacking in the planning department.
  • Swirl probably hates me if he is reading. My read is he just doesn't want the fuss. Dan probably neither.

Making a lot of friends ITT, go ozno.
  • Not to speak for him but I think Dan's on a break so probably not read anything here for a while. I'll probably spare him the details for now.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I suspect Gonzo is operating under the misapprehension that he is some kind of benevolent god, so if you're reading this Ozno wherever you are bless me with children to serve and obey me
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How about if people do these drives, they set a target for whatever the objective is and then don't go over it? Then there's no argument. Everybody agrees to chip in whatever they want and if it goes over the set limit then actual donations are adjusted accordingly. Target is achieved, everybody probably pays less in the end, and there no ill will.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I suspect Gonzo is operating under the misapprehension that he is some kind of benevolent god, so if you're reading this Ozno wherever you are bless me with children to serve and obey me
    It shall be so
  • I've PMed Jon about the switch, I'll cover postage. Done, chill lads.

I had Jon in the secret Santa. He lives in fucking Cyprus so you might wanna think twice about the postage covering offer. Fuck me, it cost me £54 to send some mince pies and a few prezzies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!