FIFA 13
  • google wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    I have played this all weekend and it's just not for me.  I loved FIFA 08 - FIFA 12 but this just feels far too fast and frantic. The visuals are really ugly and EA have fucked up the camera angles (i.e. even on fully zoomed out the action is still too close to the pitch, hence making the game feel ridiculously fast). It's a shame because I love the depth of the game and Career Mode feels like loadsa fun this year.  I just don't like how much of an arcade fest it feels.  And the first touch bullshit happens far too much. For example, me and a mate we playing as Barcelona last night and Iniesta took 4 dodgy touches in the 90 minutes.  When do we see that happen in real footy? Another major gripe for me is the frequency of night matches when I play online.  And in the fucking rain.  I wouldn't mind if EA could get the light shading and textures right but the games in the evening look so ugly. Maybe I'm just getting fed up with FIFA though and need a change.  In the latter months playing FIFA 12 I was fed up with the thing and this is already starting to grate and I only bought it on Friday. Gonna give PES 2013 a rent I think. [/moan]
    Matey, all of your complaints are completely fixable in the sliders menu of the options. Go in their, slow the game down, make it more sim like.

Cheers Google, I completely forgot about the sliders to be honest.  Will give it a try :)
  • Also, your dodgy touch complaint is valid, but I'm not sure if you're aware that L2 traps the ball. So if you're passing to Iniesta, moving him towards the ball and pressing L2 as the ball touches his foot will allow him to control it much better/easier/quicker.
  • Yeah I've been doing the trap thing.  It just annoys me that the I see it all the time, especially when playing against the CPU.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    The thing that bugs me was on UT against the CPU is I'd be using bronze team against a team of equal skill and they'd be taking touches like fucking Messi!
  • So I finally got my 20quid from amazon for the fifa 12 trade-in, is this version worth having a dabble with?  I enjoyed '12, but only played until Skyrim came out, it never got a look in after that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Managed to get a 1 all draw against CPU in the first real attempt at manual-ing myself into playable. 11 shots on, 1 (successful!) on target. That's a 100% hit rate in my book. If I can get them anywhere within the posts I now understand I will score goals with this manual thing. Possibly 

Getting them anywhere near the posts is proving trickiest so far however… passing when not under pressure seems fine, similar-ish with the through balls, defending a total liability as per. As soon as it gets a bit sticky then any faint progress evaporates and balls and legs start flying any which way. 

I definitely like how the manual touch leaves you though. Supremely satisfying feeling as some low end (semi pro maybe??) cpu keeper fluffs the one mercurially decent paced blast at his head.

I'm sure this is all well raked ground here but so far but, in the short time I've had to try, this seems a fine shot at the feetballs. Takig it into seasons and human opponents will be… punishing…
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Anyone want a quick couple of matches on 360 in next 10 mins ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    Don't know if anyone has realised but there are some issues with the trade pile on UT. I had about 7 items up for auction and all of them sold but I only got money for 2 of them and the rest just disappeared. Importantly, I got the coins for the most expensive ones but still a bit shit.

I got a chiellini in one of the pre-order packs which goes for over 40k, gonna hold out til the patch which is apparently this morning.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Anyone want a quick couple of matches on 360 in next 10 mins ?

Have just added you (for sometime in the future).
  • Olimite wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Anyone want a quick couple of matches on 360 in next 10 mins ?
    Have just added you (for sometime in the future).

I'll be easy pickings ! As im a Ultimate team virgin , got any advice or know of any decent guides ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Make sure you stick to one formation/theme and go for as high a chemistry rating as possible. Keep to the cheap players with ideally one or two quickish players up top.
  • This is going back to GAME tomorrow.  They offering £33 trade in for a week or so apparently.  Just don't like it - too fast, kits still look wrong, player models too fat, players feel like they're ice skating rather than running around a pitch.  First touch thing is dodgy as hell etc etc etc.

H2H seasons or whatever it's called is a mess.  Tactical defending is horrible (they should steal the new PES mechanic for defending it's perfect).  Player models look like wrestlers still (since when did Michael Carrick weigh 18 stone?!)

Every other match online is a night game in the rain.  I wouldn't mind but the visuals are so god damn ugly at night games, especially when it's pissing down.

Same goals scored over and over again.  The trick stick is over used and looks ridiculous (since when did Carlos Puyol do Zidane esque roulettes?!).

Meh.  EA can suck my balls.
  • Plan M wrote:
    This is going back to GAME tomorrow.  They offering £33 trade in for a week or so apparently.  Just don't like it - too fast, kits still look wrong, player models too fat, players feel like they're ice skating rather than running around a pitch.  First touch thing is dodgy as hell etc etc etc.

That's a shame but at least you can make most of your money back.

I didn't enjoy PES at all when I played it - but it might be worth a go?
  • Yeah I've been playing PES this morning mate.  For the first time in years I'm loving Konami's release.  It just doesn't have all the cool game modes that FIFA does.
  • Plan M wrote:
    Yeah I've been playing PES this morning mate.  For the first time in years I'm loving Konami's release.  It just doesn't have all the cool game modes that FIFA does.

Maybe I'm just too entrenched in FIFA to enjoy the differences? I really enjoy FIFA so I'm not really in a position to start looking elsewhere so PES is just too different for me to want to spend the time learning the system.

Maybe next year?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It'll probably be level with Fifa 13 in a couple of years if development improvements continue at current level.

Still feels like I don't really control the players, but whatever floats your boat.
  • Yeah if you love FIFA stick with it I say.  I enjoyed FIFA 08, 09, 10, 11 and 12 but it never 'wowed' me the same as PES 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 did back in the day.  I dunno, maybe nostalgia clouds my judgment or the fact that I was much younger then and enjoyed/played video games a lot more than I do today.

Don't get me wrong, I can see WHY people love FIFA 13.  It's just not for me.
  • The thing that brings me back to FIFA time and time again is that familiar repetition. The instant gratification from the controller to what is happening on the screen. 

Until PES is able to capture that in any form I'll be sticking with this.

But, horses for course and I hope you find time to play PES before FM2013 comes out.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    The 'too arcadey' tag has always irked though. Pre Fifa 09 (ie when Fifa was shite), absolutely, yes, but PES this generation has always been a more arcadey experience. The amount of variety and playstyles you can use in Fifa are far and wide.

Granted you will get more skill moves, etc, in the purposely arcade game mode that is FUT.

Well, if anyone else fancies PES, I have a copy that I need to get shot of.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I must get around to pre-ordering FM though. Some of the old skool game modes sound right up my street.
  • I'm on a terrible run online. Went cruising through the first two online seasons, winning both title and promotion twice without alot of hassle. Now, in the third season, I am six games in and have a 0-2-4 record. Aaaargh!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I managed to get to div one with my Palace team on FUT Seasons, but got relegated in the last game. Every match I've come against a stronger team.

Enjoying the challenge though.
  • Olimite wrote:
    I must get around to pre-ordering FM though. Some of the old skool game modes sound right up my street.

Yeah, I preordered last night for $40 (bargain) so I'll get that early access towards the mid month mark hopefully.

The old skool mode seems perfect for the laptop.
  • So online on this still isn't working properly right? Just had the game freeze on 'opponent found' and then freeze another time on the pre game shooting practice screen.
    GT: Knight640
  • Plan M wrote:
    ...players feel like they're ice skating rather than running around a pitch...
    I'm amazed anyone with this kind of complaint goes anywhere near PES.  I was astonished when I played it that the series has lasted this long.  The movement has little to do with either what your thumb s doing, or how things move in real life.
  • I agree PES has been awful for years. This is the first one I have bought in a very long time.

Really enjoying it too, I love the slower pace compared to FIFA.
  • i think the expression "a change is as good as a rest" works here.  i think most would agree that FIFA has been better than PES in recent years, but if FIFA had started to feel a bit 'samey' to you (as it had for me) then PES this year is good enough and different enough to be an enjoyable alternative.  if you're still in love with FIFA though then PES certainly isn't all round better to convince you need to change.
    i also think it has a lot to do with how much you like to play online versus solo play offline.  While FIFA obviously wins in terms of online options, I never enjoyed playing against the AI, whereas Master League in PES, for all it's faults, i'm really enjoying.  for me, with my limited gaming time, it's much more convenient to have an enjoyable solo mode i can turn on anytime for a couple of quick games, rather than trying to find friends or suitable opponents online etc...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Have never seen the appeal of playing offline. Maybe the PES AI is better than Fifa's.
  • 'better' is probably more of an opinion depending on how you want your opponent to play.  I'm going to make a massive over-simplification that those with more experience of the FIFA singleplayer modes might take exception to, but in my experience, FIFA AI plays not to lose, PES AI goes for it a bit more.  I would hate it in FIFA when I lost the ball, cos it felt like it would take forever to get it back as the AI would just pass it around keeping the ball and you'd be chasing shadows, especially towards the end of a match.  In PES the AI plays forward more, makes runs with the ball, generally being a bit more attacking but in the process giving you more chances to win the ball back.  i also think PES has more 'entertainment scripts', where things are engineered a bit more to keep it interesting - whether that's the AI fucking you over in the last minute, or fluffing an open goal, or someone scoring a raker with their weak foot....they may not be for everyone, but i think things happen 'out of the blue' more in PES, whereas FIFA the AI players stick more rigidly to their stats and play along to those numbers each time.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Anyone want a few games this afternoon?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!