Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Not the big bridge. The little one later. After the spear mid-boss.
    So I have to beat spear man after you meet the
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, just keep going straight along the main path and you'll eventually get there.
  • Enjoyed this much more again today. Made progress, got the hang of the combat a little and spent time exploring earlier areas again. It's easy to miss stuff. Now it's opened out much more where I am and I've got at least 3 routes to try. It's always good in these games when you feel like you've got plenty of options, before you inevitably get stuck on a couple of bosses again.

It is damn hard, and still punishes you the moment you think you've got it sussed. But there always seems to be a way. And it's only From games that are able to completely grab my attention like this, even sometimes when I'm not playing. Not since the original Dark Souls have I felt this wrapped up in a game.
  • +1
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Busy yesterday and today. Day off work tomorrow so I can sink another mammoth session into this.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Got Lady Butterfly figured out, I'll have her next go. Damn it's hard but I'm getting the swing of it now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Started my save again as prob wasn't in the most complete frame of mind yesterday. What took me six hours yesterday just took me a little over an hour. Clicked last night that panic isn't the best option. Patience, picking openings, not being afraid to block and learning when to deflect are key.

Farmed a little and unlocked some skills, got a nice little early game farming run going, five minutes to get a skill point.

Outstanding game.
  • Yeah today it really clicked for me too. Realising that I didn’t need to deflect every hit made me a lot more consistent against the big guys.
    The bosses are fun but it’s the mini-bosses that are really getting the blood pumping. No gimmicks, level playing field, excellent
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • There be big enemy spoilers here I dare say, so watch at your peril, but you gotta love some prime Dunkey...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Mmm. I enjoyed that earlier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Lady Butterfly - fucking seriously?
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    This thread is saving me money. Looks great but I know its not for me.
    Yep.
    Yup
    Yes.

Nope.  See this is what I thought, but I decided to buy it anyway, and it's FUCKING AMAZEBALLS.

Dextrous Souls basically.  Like you got all the stamina from the get go.
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    muzzy donning it, ignoring all the fannies and getting in deep

top man
  • Kow wrote:
    Spoiler:

Heh as soon as it happened, i thought fuck it, I’ll be back later.
  • I dunno how I feel about
    Spoiler:
  • They wouldn’t think twice about doing it to you, show no mercy

• Kow wrote:
    Spoiler:
    You don't need one.
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought I had her, fuck sake.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm optimistic I'll beat her first time.

Whoever "she" is.
  • Chaps, there's nothing scary in this that would upset a toddler or mrs dino for playing it in front of him? My ps4 is in the living room. I only play res evil when hes upstairs asleep.
  • Ermmmmm is the toddler ok with ninjas decapitating people?
  • Depends on their exposure to lego minifigs
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow wrote:
    Spoiler:
    There’s more near
    Spoiler:
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ermmmmm is the toddler ok with ninjas decapitating people?

Good point. Might be one of those games I get told by mrs dino to turn off.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a lot of blood but I think you can turn it off in the options.
  • You can or you can have it on mild, ease them in gently to a life of desensitisation to graphic violence.

• Some of those grab/special kanji moves are just so damn quick.
  • I'm okay with them unless the the camera fucks me over and puts them offscreen cos we're in the ruddy corner.
    They really could've made it an HUD effect or summat, bit more graceful.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ermmmmm is the toddler ok with ninjas decapitating people?

Good point. Might be one of those games I get told by mrs dino to turn off.
    It is clearly not OK to play in front of a toddler.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Patience, picking openings, not being afraid to block and learning when to deflect are key.

Remembering I could block was the most beneficial adjustment for me.  Your posture recovers fastest while blocking and most regular enemies give you a big enough window to do so.  Another helpful nugget from the loading screen said that posture recovers more slowly when health is lower.  So I think it's often best to start off defensive, learning the moves and getting clean charged hits in to lower HP, then start parrying and smothering to break posture. 

It took a while for me to adjust to this game's particular style but I'm enjoying it a lot now I've got more of a handle on the combat and unlocked more crowd-control tools.  I just wish they didn't require currency to unlock because I never have any.  I eventually did some grinding and unlocked most of the stuff in one go.  Luckily, there are lots of spots with enemies next to bonfires, facing the other way.  Hardly ideal though.  Likewise, charging for Spirit Emblems repeats the failings of Bloodborne's finite vials and bullets when they could easily just recharge for free at bonfires.

But enough moaning, last night I did a fantastic area which encapsulated all the reasons why these games are great, with a boss which it would be a crime to spoil.  It's stunning to look at in parts as well.
  • I am slow, I have only just beaten my first trophy-unlocking boss. Was rather easy, but fun.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!