The Apple Thread
  • Ive switched it off again now coz it was getting pretty hot and was obviously not going anywhere.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Anybody know if you can get earbud 'covers' for iphone headphones? By covers, I mean bits of different sized plastic that fit over the ends to actually make them stay in my ears.
  • The best cover for iPod headphones is a bin bag.
  • Mother told me never to play with bin bags.
  • Dear pabloamigo,

You are now old enough to play with bin bags.

Love,

pabloamigo's Mum
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    pabloamigo wrote:
    Anybody know if you can get earbud 'covers' for iphone headphones? By covers, I mean bits of different sized plastic that fit over the ends to actually make them stay in my ears.

You can get foam pads but they'll only add the smallest of widths.

As suggested, chuck them in the bin and get some isolating ones that smush into your ear canal. They won't go anywhere. Though are incredibly painful when you catch the cord on a door knob and they yank out of your ears.
  • JRPC wrote:
    So i turned on my macbook pro this morning and its stuck on the grey loading screen with the apple logo and loading gear spinning.  Any ideas?

That sounds worryingly like the trick my iMac pulled when the hard disk died.  Try holding down command R during startup.  (Assuming you're in Lion).  This should take you to the recovery screen.  From here you can run disk utility to see if the disk is borked.  If it's fine, and you have a backup, you can also restore the backup from here.  (If it's not fine, and you have a backup, repeat the same process to restore onto your new hard-drive.)
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Dear pabloamigo, You are now old enough to play with bin bags. Love, pabloamigo's Mum

Dear Mother

Your correspondence is both unexpected and most welcome.

However, scaremongers in the local tavern suggest you are in fact a Scotsman of approximate age to myself. This would go some way to explaining our highly unusual domestic situation.

I hope your next letter can offer both clarity and peace of mind.

Love

Your son
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You can get foam pads but they'll only add the smallest of widths. As suggested, chuck them in the bin and get some isolating ones that smush into your ear canal. They won't go anywhere. Though are incredibly painful when you catch the cord on a door knob and they yank out of your ears.

Just a stop gap really. This was the sort of thing I had in mind.
  • pabloamigo wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Dear pabloamigo, You are now old enough to play with bin bags. Love, pabloamigo's Mum
    Dear Mother Your correspondence is both unexpected and most welcome. However, scaremongers in the local tavern suggest you are in fact a Scotsman of approximate age to myself. This would go some way to explaining our highly unusual domestic situation. I hope your next letter can offer both clarity and peace of mind. Love Your son

Dear pabloamigo,

I'm having sex with ur dad lol

Love,

Pabloamigo's Mum
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Anyone know if it's possible to still get Lion? It's disappeared from the App Store. My Mum's running Snow Leopard on her Mac Mini, but I don't think she'll be able to run Mountain Lion*. If she's got Lion she'll at least get security updates.

*According to MacUser your Mac Mini needs to be 2009 or newer, she got one of the last revisions from 2008. Would it be able to run Mountain Lion anyway?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    So i turned on my macbook pro this morning and its stuck on the grey loading screen with the apple logo and loading gear spinning.  Any ideas?
    That sounds worryingly like the trick my iMac pulled when the hard disk died.  Try holding down command R during startup.  (Assuming you're in Lion).  This should take you to the recovery screen.  From here you can run disk utility to see if the disk is borked.  If it's fine, and you have a backup, you can also restore the backup from here.  (If it's not fine, and you have a backup, repeat the same process to restore onto your new hard-drive.)
    If you're not on Lion, or that doesn't work, booting off the OS X install disc offers similar options.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot you don't get a Lion install disc.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Dear Mother Your correspondence is both unexpected and most welcome. However, scaremongers in the local tavern suggest you are in fact a Scotsman of approximate age to myself. This would go some way to explaining our highly unusual domestic situation. I hope your next letter can offer both clarity and peace of mind. Love Your son
    Dear pabloamigo, I'm having sex with ur dad lol Love, Pabloamigo's Mum

Dear Mother

That explains why I could hear Ride of the Valkyries from your chamber. 

Please put him back in plot 165 once you're through.

Love

Your son

edit: I'm going to stop this now as I have to go for a meeting. But look forward to my anthology - Letters to Unlikely - Tales of Love, Bin Bags and Ham.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    If you're not on Lion, or that doesn't work, booting off the OS X install disc offers similar options. EDIT: Whoops, forgot you don't get a Lion install disc.

I am Lion. Utility is saying th hd is fine (if im using it correctly) but i dont really know where to go from there.
    Well im going to take it in to the genius bar tomorrow, see what they say.
  • Should be a restore while keeping user data option, or something.  At least, I'm pretty sure there used to be.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Should be a restore while keeping user data option, or something.  At least, I'm pretty sure there used to be.

Went to the Apple Store today.

Hd's not knackered as such, but I lost everything.

Totally gutted - haven't backed up in so long. 

:(
  • JRPC wrote:
    AJ_ wrote:
    Should be a restore while keeping user data option, or something.  At least, I'm pretty sure there used to be.
    Went to the Apple Store today. Hd's not knackered as such, but I lost everything. Totally gutted - haven't backed up in so long.  :(

Really?
    What did you do? Re-install the OS without telling it to keep existing user? Or format then install or something?
    Because those are the only ways you will lose all your data.
    Worst comes to worse you can pull the drive out and stick it into a caddy and drag and drop your files off it.
    I have done that in the past.

Cant say I have ever lost any data since the OS9 days due to a OS problem, plenty of re-installs but not a wipe.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just another quick shout out for Apple TV, it is fucking excellent, so much so that I will be ordering a 2nd one when I get a new TV for the bedroom. I may also have to bite the bullet and get a Macbook...
  • We have three, can't say they're used constantly because we have PlayTV on a lot, but what they do they do really well. Well worth setting up your film/music/photos etc. library to stream to it.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Just another quick shout out for Apple TV, it is fucking excellent, so much so that I will be ordering a 2nd one when I get a new TV for the bedroom. I may also have to bite the bullet and get a Macbook...

Do it!!!   AirPlay from my MacBook to the tv is awesome!
  • Am I right in thinking that airplay with ML is limited to newer macbooks at the moment?
  • It's limited to Mountain Lion, I believe.

I've gone off the idea of an Apple TV, now isanbard has introduced me to Plex and I've discovered the joys of DLNA.  Not much point if you've got a console attached to the TV, IMO.

EDIT: I can't read.
  • pabloamigo wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that airplay with ML is limited to newer macbooks at the moment?

Not specifically macbooks, but there are limits on the machines; my iMac will do it but not my 2010 Macbook Air - and I'm talking mirroring, obviously they'll do the app-specific Airplay, from iTunes and so on.
  • Anyone have experience of Apple's "Joint Venture" business support?  It looks pretty cheap, which could be good or bad.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Right, I got a new iPhone and don't fancy losing all my highscores and saves and shit.

Is there any way to get them across without using a backup or iPhone explorer? Explorer doesn't load for some reason and I really did put in a lot of time with some of those games.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Isn't everything centralised through Game Centre now?  I'm sure if you backup your iPhone to iTunes, then start up the new one and tell it to restore from the existing backup, that should copy everything over?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    It's cool, iphone explorer is working after a restart so I'll see how it works. Thanks anyway but I didn't want to copy everything over, just a couple of games I still play.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Game Centre doesn't really store much, Elm; just games you've played and your friends, really.  I think it keeps some high scores, but they don't sync back down to the phone.

If iPhone Explorer doesn't work, Sub, can't you just delete all things you don't want off your old phone (using iTunes, so it doesn't take forever) and then transfer the rest with a backup?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I wouldn't trust a back-up/restore to anything other than iTunes...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!