The Apple Thread
  • All my saves copied over from my iPhone to my iPad from an icloud backup.
    Just set that, do a manual backup to it and you'll be golden.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The iCloud is good but nowhere near as good as a simple back-up/restore...
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    My old phone was jailbroken and I can't undo it for some odd reason. I'll have another go at it sometime but it's only a few saves I'm really bothered about.

Explorer worked but crashes when I plug my phone in.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • iPad owners, I think I'm going to cave and get one this weekend.  Next easter still seems like a long time until the next one, and the current iPad appears to be like the iPhone 4 in terms of generations, with the screen being the big USP.  I'm happy with my iPhone 4 and not tempted to upgrade hence I think it's safe to buy an iPad.

Does anyone struggle with the 16Gb model?  And does anyone bother with the 3/4G one?  What case/stand/etc is considered the best; I'd probably just get an Apple SmartCover for it unless someone tells me it's much better in something else?
  • I'm pretty sure I saw a deal in Wal-Mart yesterday where the 32Gb 4G iPad had $100 off, which makes it just $29 more than the wi-fi one.  But it obviously needs $30 a month thrown at it to get 3Gb of usage from AT&T.

Of course, I have to factor in stupid, unlisted 8.1% sales tax, so if I'm just going for wi-fi I can get it tax free through the military.  But I think the 4G one would still just be $680 with tax, which seems pretty good....?

Anyone got a 4G one?
  • What, no-one has iPads?  HELP ME PICK.

Turns out they might be doing $100 off the 4G ones at Wal-Mart, which is good, because they're only $130 more than the wi-fi ones to start with.  I can get the wi-fi one without tax, but even with tax, the difference is just $80.

2 questions though; will I actually ever use the 4G one, enough to justify $80 + $30 per month?  And secondly, considering I won't put any music on it but might watch a couple of movies/TV shows (then delete afterwards), is 16Gb enough?  Anyone with a 16Gb one wishing they had bought larger (only an extra $100 for 32Gb but I'd rather not if I don't have to)?
  • personally I have a 2 and couldn't justify the upgrade to a 3,  get a 32GB model if you can and also splash out on scrabble, monopoly and zen pinball.  Mine has 3G but I rarely use it as I am always within touching distance of a wifi zone that I can use as either a part of my Vodafone sub or my BT sub for free.

also, I have the apple black leather smart cover with a seperate rubberised cover protecting the rear of the ipad.
  • My iPad 2 is 16gig.  Daftest decision I ever made.  It's practically a waste of time.  I'm sorely tempted to get a 64gig, but I'm willing to wait a bit in the hope that they do 128gig in the spring.

Do not, under any circumstances, get a 16gig.  32 bare minimum, but almost certainly 64.  Don't bother with 3/4G: for 3G you can just use your phone as a hotspot, why bother having to pay more on both the hardware and data?  As for 4G, the technology is different everywhere; it might work over there, but not here.  You'd be wasting your money.

Btw, do you still use your me.com email address?
  • Elm, I have a wifi only, and I can't say I miss the 3G (if you're that desperate to go out, tether it to your iPhone?). I did go for the 32g one though, as I travel a bit, so carry a couple of HD movies, some podcasts, etc. The Sunday times app also eats memory (I know, I should prune back issues).

I've also got an apple smart case (the smart cover doesn't cover the back, so why bother?), it's ok. Looks nice, fits perfectly and switches off the iPad. It's a bit crap at standing up though, unless it's a perfectly flat surface, the folds could do with being a bit bigger IMO. I gave my mum my old belkin case for hers which was much much better at standing (had a series of notches in the front cover, so you could choose the angle), however, it was a bit more folio like and was a few mm out in terms of size, so the power opening, etc wouldn't line up without moving the iPad around. I suppose my advice with that would be try to see what you prefer.
  • Oh, and the new smart case is the aces.  The smart cover offers very little protection, and detaches so easily you could be watching the screen crack on your bathroom tiles before long.
  • Cheers team,

I think I can probably get away with 32Gb.  I have about 10Gb of music on my 32Gb phone and still have space, and I can't see what else I'd put on an iPad that I wouldn't put on my phone other than the odd movie or something, and it'd be a temporary "on, watch, delete" thing.  What have you got on yours that has you bouncing off the 16Gb limit?

The phone contract I have here doesn't support iPhones (but is half the price of networks that do, and includes free international calls), so I'm limited to EDGE speeds and no tethering here, hence the hotspot idea's out.  I'm sure the 4G LTE model here can accept a 3G microSIM back in the UK though so I think it's transferable enough.

It's more whether it's worth and extra £50 to get a 3/4G one, seeing as they're heavily discounted.  If that discount's stopped by the time I go shopping at the weekend then I won't bother.  On the other hand, rather than spending $680 on a 32Gb 3G one, I could spend $699 on a wi-fi only 64Gb.

That's why picking is tricky.  I've got the choice of:

16Gb wi-fi: $499
    32Gb wi-fi: $599
    32Gb 4G  : $680
    64Gb wi-fi: $699
  • bear in mind that all ipad apps now that they are retina ipad ready are a lot bigger than they used to be.  hence the 32GB as a minimum.
  • I've got wifi only,16GB ipad 2. 

Absolutely fine. Space has never been an issue. I don't really put films or music on it though. Not sure how everyone else is managing to fill theirs. On the rare times a wifi network isn't around, tethering to a phone works well enough. 

If you're carrying it about, you need more than a smart case.
  • Are you really going to wander out and about with it?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    What have you got on yours that has you bouncing off the 16Gb limit?
    Plenty of apps are up around the 1gig mark, especially those looking to make that retina display on the new iPad really zing.  It doesn't take many of them to really fill things up.  It sucks when you have to start deleting apps to make room for others.  Movies take up a fair amount of room.  No, you won't walk about with movies on there long term, but next time you go on holiday and find you've got room for maybe one movie and two albums, you'll bitterly regret not getting as much storage as you can.  I was like you when I bought mine, looked at my phone and thought, "Why would I ever need more," but it's not a phone you're buying, you use it differently, the apps are bigger.  Trust me on this one.
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Btw, do you still use your me.com email address?
  • Hmmm... actually, I suppose I could bring the MacBook on holiday and transfer stuff!

Looks like the 64Gb wifi one is possibly the smartest bet, but I can't help but think I'd secretly like a 4G one.  And I don't want to end up with the most expensive model...!

And yes, I've just checked it; cheers!
  • Elm, just in case you do decide to get a 4g version, after a quick search I found this thread on the apple support forum..you want to buy the AT&T version, not the Verizon. Different versions apparently (and neither will probably work with 4g outside the US)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3787986?start=0&tstart=0
  • Elm, just in case you do decide to get a 4g version, after a quick search I found this thread on the apple support forum..you want to buy the AT&T version, not the Verizon. Different versions apparently (and neither will probably work with 4g outside the US) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3787986?start=0&tstart=0

Barely understood that, but I assumed the Verizon model would be CDMA like their phones and the AT&T one would be GSM.  

From what I get with that, I can use a 4G LTE one for 4G in the US and 3G in the UK (with an appropriate UK SIM); but I'd need to upgrade to use 4G in the UK when it becomes available.

To be honest, as I'd be getting more than a year's use before coming back to the UK, it's probably not worth worrying about that much.  I guess I'd be happy with 3G speeds back home until I upgrade it!
  • Right, I reckon it's probably going to be either a wi-fi 64Gb one or a GSM 3/4G 32Gb one.

I think I'd probably be more likely to use the 3G functionality back in the UK though, which is a pain as it needs another SIM.  Maybe I should stick with a wifi only one here, and then swap for a UK 4G one when the 2014 edition's released....?

The only time I'd use cellular stuff out here is at work, where there's no 4G coverage anyway and I can still see most normal websites (including here) on my work PC.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Right, I reckon it's probably going to be either a wi-fi 64Gb one or a GSM 3/4G 32Gb one. I think I'd probably be more likely to use the 3G functionality back in the UK though, which is a pain as it needs another SIM.  Maybe I should stick with a wifi only one here, and then swap for a UK 4G one when the 2014 edition's released....? The only time I'd use cellular stuff out here is at work, where there's no 4G coverage anyway and I can still see most normal websites (including here) on my work PC.

As I said on Twitter, I have no idea why you're bothering with a GSM version of an iPad.

Not only does it cost more up front, but you will need to purchase a separate data plan.

Can I ask why you are not bothering to simply sync your phone's data to the iPad?

Also, where are you needing your iPad and a data connection for any amount of time where you dont have WiFi?
  • google wrote:
    Can I ask why you are not bothering to simply sync your phone's data to the iPad? Also, where are you needing your iPad and a data connection for any amount of time where you dont have WiFi?

My plan here doesn't include tethering or 3G.  I could have gone with AT&T and paid about $80-90 a month for an unlimited plan, but T-Mobile give me a completely unlimited plan for $60, but as they don't support the iPhone, all you get is EDGE.  Crucially, that $60 includes unlimited SMS to foreign mobiles and unlimited calls to European landlines, which we really need out here.

I can tether when back home, my UK 3 account allows that, but no such option here.  The only place I think I'd use it is at work; I often work for 2-3 hours then have 1.5-2 hours to rest before flying again, and curling up on one of the sofas at work with my own iPad seems like a pleasant way to pass the time.  Otherwise, it's only going to get used here and when I go out for coffee etc.
  • OK.

So you have T-Mobile and you'd go Verizon with the iPad?
  • Nope, I'd go AT&T; I presumed the Verizon one would be CDMA so going for a GSM one (no idea if they all have the same slots or not) would make it easier to flip to a UK SIM when back home.  AT&T are cheaper anyway.

It's just a matter of figuring out whether I'd like the extra space or the ability to use it at work.  With the complexity of the apps, is it even sensible to use it under 2G/EDGE with no 3/4G available?
  • Elm, am I right in saying the difference between the wifi and the 3G is $29?

If so I would definately go for the 3G even if you don't use the service straight away or when you come over here, $29 is very little money.

Or am I missing Googles point?
  • Elm, am I right in saying the difference between the wifi and the 3G is $29? If so I would definately go for the 3G even if you don't use the service straight away or when you come over here, $29 is very little money. Or am I missing Googles point?

The difference is $129 + tax for the device and then an additional data plan to your phone.

So, if like me, you're running an Android/iPhone with 6GB of monthly data and you can easily tether I see no reason to spend the additional $130 on the iPad and then an additional $25+ a month on an additional data plan.

But Elm is not in the same position as me unfortunately.
  • I got the data plan thing, just thought if it is only thirty dollars then he may as well have it as an option in the future.
    At 130 dollars its a bit different
  • Also welcome back Google, noticed you around recently, hope everything is going well.
  • It's not; if I buy a wi-fi one, I don't pay tax (because I can buy from the military BX on the local air force base); so the price I pay is $599 for 32Gb wifi and $699 for 64Gb wifi.

Wal-Mart, however, are doing $100 off the 4G versions, so if I buy that it's just $29 more; but I then have to pay tax, which makes it $80 more expensive overall.

Hence 32Gb wifi = $599, 32Gb 4G = $680, 64Gb wifi = $699, 64Gb 4G = $780.

I was originally just going to for the 32Gb wifi, but it's tempting to spend the extra $80 on the 4G capability.  Even if I don't use it much, it's $30 a month for the data plan and you can cancel anytime with no penalties.  Plus, on trips back to the UK, I'd be able to pop a 3 SIM in it and get 3G access.

Then I thought if I'm willing to spend $680 on the 4G version, it's only an extra $20 to get the 64Gb wifi one, which overall might be a better bet; especially as on trips back to the UK I can tether with my phone, and the only time I'd actually use 4G here is at work, and I could probably do without that.
  • Also, how do I get... err, slightly less legitimate films and TV shows onto it?  What's the method of adding a random DIVX file to iTunes?
  • Ah ok, in that case I would try and weigh up if it is HD space or 3g you want. Can it be tethered to a phone?

Vlc doesnt seem to be available anymore but there is an app called 'playable' that looks like it does the same thing. So it should play any media type a movie is likely to come on.
    iTunes is terrible for movies unless you buy them directly from their store.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!