The Apple Thread
  • You could turn this into a business opportunity young sir...   for a small mark up you could get stuff for fellow forum peeps and still supply quality goods for a lower price than is available in the UK.   I could be your tech mule picking up from blind drops when I come to the US and then pass on when I get back.   Obviously I want a small cut of the action.
  • You could turn this into a business opportunity young sir...   for a small mark up you could get stuff for fellow forum peeps and still supply quality goods for a lower price than is available in the UK.   I could be your tech mule picking up from blind drops when I come to the US and then pass on when I get back.   Obviously I want a small cut of the action.

I'm in.

I will forward you cases of Molson Canadian and you can sell to the locals.
  • If only the profit was large enough to sustain that.
  • I may want an iPad on my return from nuptial holiday. srsly
  • Well I am certain that the B&B tech trafficking plc can sort you out with the technology...  the nuptials, that is entirely your own problem.
  • pabloamigo wrote:
    I may want an iPad on my return from nuptial holiday. srsly

Well, in all seriousness, for a small bank transfer and a little fee to cover the petrol for the trip to the tax free military place and the postage, I'll happily pick you one up.  Looking at those prices you'd easily save £50 over the UK even after greasing my palms.
  • google wrote:
    You could turn this into a business opportunity young sir...   for a small mark up you could get stuff for fellow forum peeps and still supply quality goods for a lower price than is available in the UK.   I could be your tech mule picking up from blind drops when I come to the US and then pass on when I get back.   Obviously I want a small cut of the action.
    I'm in. I will forward you cases of Molson Canadian and you can sell to the locals.

not sure how many would survive the stringent QA process that I have developed with alcoholic beverages.
  • not sure how many would survive the stringent QA process that I have developed with alcoholic beverages.

Ah - fair point. You obviously would need to injest a good 75% of each container to make sure it was safe for Reg and co. to injest.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    pabloamigo wrote:
    I may want an iPad on my return from nuptial holiday. srsly
    Well, in all seriousness, for a small bank transfer and a little fee to cover the petrol for the trip to the tax free military place and the postage, I'll happily pick you one up.  Looking at those prices you'd easily save £50 over the UK even after greasing my palms.

cheers Elm, will resume this conversation in 4 weeks time.
  • New Retina MacBook: £1800 UK, £1350 US.  There's mileage in this...!
  • This could be the way I buy my iPhone 5 you know. What's the price difference for prepaid 4Ss?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    New Retina MacBook: £1800 UK, £1350 US.  There's mileage in this...!

See,  jimmy isn't so stupid.  Be careful if you don't use a mule that customs don't hammer the shipping cost in the uk.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Even the iPad 2 is £329 in the UK, £250 in the US.
    They want £200 to fix the crack on my iPad 2.  Arseholes.
  • do it yourself?  I am pretty certain you can buy the replacement glass and a repair kit online.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Even the iPad 2 is £329 in the UK, £250 in the US.
    They want £200 to fix the crack on my iPad 2.  Arseholes.

If you want to throw some money my way, you can be the first recipient of an item from the B&B Dodgy Tech Export LLC?
  • In other news, I'm off to buy an iPad.  Can someone just finally tell me if I need 64Gb or if 32Gb would be fine?

32Gb is £410 with a Smart Case, and 64Gb is £473.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Anyone know how I sync a folder with Dropbox? I.e., I don't want the folder just in Dropbox, but basically copying any changes I make on my Mac.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Why don't you just put the folder in Dropbox and stick an alias to it on the desktop?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    In other news, I'm off to buy an iPad.  Can someone just finally tell me if I need 64Gb or if 32Gb would be fine? 32Gb is £410 with a Smart Case, and 64Gb is £473.

If you can afford it, get the larger one.

If you feel that $100 is best spent elsewhere get the 32GB.

Easy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Why don't you just put the folder in Dropbox and stick an alias to it on the desktop?

Because I want access to my files when I'm not online? Or does the Dropbox folder just act like a normal folder unless you have a connection?

I'm pretty sure I've been able in the past to point Dropbox at a folder and say "make sure you copy anything that changes in this to the website" without having to explicitly drag and drop it into the Dropbox folder on my Mac.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    In case anyone cares, jury is giving verdict on Apple vs Samsung right now: http://live.theverge.com/apple-samsung-verdict-live/
    The janitor.
  • Dropbox does exactly that; it's always available and syncs when you're online, but if not you still have access, it's like any other folder. 

Also this is my first post from my iPad! Woo!
  • Elmlea wrote:
    If you want to throw some money my way...
    Thanks for the offer, but you've identified the key issue.
  • Petey wrote:
    In case anyone cares, jury is giving verdict on Apple vs Samsung right now: http://live.theverge.com/apple-samsung-verdict-live/
    650million payout in favour of apple!

Also don't go for a CDMA phone. Not with LTE around the corner/being rolled out.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Petey wrote:
    Jesus. $1 bn in damages to Apple.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Not digested the whole thing but it was always going to go that way, Apple winning the software look and feel patents but not the 'black rectangle' ones for the iPad. Which for me, assuming it has gone that way, make perfect common sense.

I'm surprised in a way they sought to challenge that one in court, it was always an extremely dodgy one to be granted and is now in tatters. Thankfully.
  • Only issue with the iPad so far is that half my old iPhone apps were bought when my iTunes account was a UK one; so when I log into my now-US iTunes account on the iPad, there's only the last year's worth of download history. Plugging it into the iMac and transferring directly from iTunes solved that though.

There must be some iPad-specific apps I've missed though. And is there an easy way to check if an app I'm using has an iPad version rather than the iPhone version, other than manually searching for all of them?

Everything looks absolutely glorious on it. The screen's incredible.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Did you go for a 2 or a 3?

I was all set to buy a 3 to replace the missus' 1 for her birthday but Apple shot themselves in the foot somewhat by having the display version always on/charging in the store and it burning my hand when I picked it up.
  • I'm surprised that so many of Apple's claims were upheld. The trade dress thing in particular struck me as fairly spurious. 

There's no doubt in my mind that Samsung copied a lot from the iphone but given that similar features are adopted pretty readily throughout the tech industry, it's never struck me as anything particularly bad.  It's like Nintendo suing Sony for Move - a blatant rip off but well in the realms of standard iterative development practices.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Did you go for a 2 or a 3?

A 64Gb 3. It hasn't set me on fire yet, but I did buy a nice Smart Case for it which covers its back as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!