The Apple Thread
  • Elmlea wrote:
    It's not; if I buy a wi-fi one, I don't pay tax (because I can buy from the military BX on the local air force base); so the price I pay is $599 for 32Gb wifi and $699 for 64Gb wifi. Wal-Mart, however, are doing $100 off the 4G versions, so if I buy that it's just $29 more; but I then have to pay tax, which makes it $80 more expensive overall. Hence 32Gb wifi = $599, 32Gb 4G = $680, 64Gb wifi = $699, 64Gb 4G = $780. I was originally just going to for the 32Gb wifi, but it's tempting to spend the extra $80 on the 4G capability.  Even if I don't use it much, it's $30 a month for the data plan and you can cancel anytime with no penalties.  Plus, on trips back to the UK, I'd be able to pop a 3 SIM in it and get 3G access. Then I thought if I'm willing to spend $680 on the 4G version, it's only an extra $20 to get the 64Gb wifi one, which overall might be a better bet; especially as on trips back to the UK I can tether with my phone, and the only time I'd actually use 4G here is at work, and I could probably do without that.

You're confusing me.

What are your requirements?

What do you want to use the tablet for?
  • Mostly as an in-home netbook alternative.  Watching Netflix in bed, checking Facebook/Twitter/forums/etc while in front of the TV, showing off the iPhoto library to my parents when they come to visit without crowding round a computer.  Right now I'm using a MacBook, but considering I'm only typing a couple of paragraphs at a time I'd rather be using an iPad.

Out and about it'd take over "big iPhone duties."  So when my wife's at work and little one's at school, I can sit in Starbucks and browse the internet.  When I'm away for a couple of days it would come as well, loaded with a couple of movies.  It'd also come to work with me so I have something to use during breaks, because right now it tends to just be my Kindle, and sometimes you want something a little more casual than getting stuck into a book.

I'm leaning towards wi-fi only, but I'm unsure if it's worth another $100 for the 64Gb one.
  • OK then. From your post above I would recommend a 16-32GB WiFi. 

I have a 16GB WiFi that I use daily on my commutes and at home for 90% of my email/Facebook/twitter activities. 

I use it as my 'kindle', my magazine carrier, my mobile photo-book and a place to watch shows.

Having a larger hard drive would help me because some of the games I have are a couple of GBs - but when it comes to media I use my phone as my music/podcast/radio player and I use my iPad as my film/TV show viewer.

Films are around a GB - TV shows are anywhere between 200-400.

So on a 32GB device you could easily have a few movies and an entire TV show season without breaking sweat.
  • Worth noting HD films are more like 4-5gb, on a screen that size though I would just get SD films really.
  • google wrote:
    OK then. From your post above I would recommend a 16-32GB WiFi.  I have a 16GB WiFi that I use daily on my commutes and at home for 90% of my email/Facebook/twitter activities.  I use it as my 'kindle', my magazine carrier, my mobile photo-book and a place to watch shows. Having a larger hard drive would help me because some of the games I have are a couple of GBs - but when it comes to media I use my phone as my music/podcast/radio player and I use my iPad as my film/TV show viewer. Films are around a GB - TV shows are anywhere between 200-400. So on a 32GB device you could easily have a few movies and an entire TV show season without breaking sweat.

Ok, that's good to know; that's what I'd be using it for.  My phone's going to remain as my music/podcast player, and the iPad would just be used for movies/TV shows, so maybe I don't need to go as far as the 64Gb.  In addition, I've got a 3DS for games so I think the iPad will remain primarily a media device, so storage space might not be to necessary.

The only reason I can think of to increase the storage space is so my other half can use it when doing photography stuff.  If she's out and about, it might be nice for her to upload the photos to an iPad to proof without coming home, but on the other hand a laptop might be better for that as it's more fully-featured.
  • Worth noting HD films are more like 4-5gb, on a screen that size though I would just get SD films really.

Are the ones you'll download from iTunes that size though?
  • Yeah, Im sure they will be, anything HD 2 hours long will be a minimum of 3gb
  • MOAR QUESTION.

Airplay mirroring; is there any way to push my iMac or MacBook screen to an iPad, or can I only send things out to an Apple TV?

Basically I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to watch DIVX files on an iPad, without going through the hassle of converting them to .MP4, adding to iTunes, and synching with iPad.
  • What is your work flow for watching media Elm?
    From gaining the media, to players etc.

Divx and Apple just rings alarm bells to me.
  • What is your work flow for watching media Elm?From gaining the media, to players etc. Divx and Apple just rings alarm bells to me.

Find item not on Netflix or iTunes.  Torrent said item in DIVX.  Normally, watch via streaming to TV or Xbox from external HD plugged into iMac.

Now I'd like to finish watching on Xbox, go to bed, continue watching on iPad.  The only way I can figure it out is to convert it to .mp4, add to iTunes, sync, watch, delete, which isn't too simple.

Any way to stream?
  • Also, I keep thinking that actually, a 4G wouldn't be so bad.  Weather's here's constantly perfect, I can use Starbucks' wifi then go and sit in a park with a coffee on days off and gently browse the internet.  Googs' post has pretty much convinced me I don't need a 64Gb one, so I'm back to the quandry that it's only and extra £50/$80 for the 4G capability, and I don't even need to activate it at first if I'm not sure....
  • Ok Im sure another forumite is going to correct me so dont take this as gospel.

As far as I know divx isnt compatible on any ios even with that 'playable' app I suggested.
    Im not sure there is a way around this other than the mirroring you suggested before, which is beyond me as I dont have the tech to trial anything.
    My only suggestion would be to DL stuff in MP4, AVi or MKV formats in the future as they are pretty universal.

Hopefully someone else will come up with something better than that.
  • AFAIK, iOS doesn't like any .avi file and probably not .mkv either.
  • That playable app will sort it. I have VLC on my iphone which will play anything vlc will play on any other os, but the app ahs been pulled.

Playable seems to be a re-skin of the same thing.
  • Double check, it plays mov, avi, mp4, mkv, xvid without convertion on ipad, iphone and ipod touch.
  • Double check, it plays mov, avi, mp4, mkv, xvid without convertion on ipad, iphone and ipod touch.

Sounds good; but how do you get the files onto it, or can it stream?
  • Ive not used that app specificaly.
    VLC picks up any of those file types than you have dragged and dropped onto the device via a desktop/laptop.
    So you launch the app and it comes up with a list.

Streaming is a whole other avenue that I havent gone down, sorry.
  • Drag and drop into the app files bit of iTunes if it works like anything else.

Does it play them full screen? Last time I tried VLC, it didn't.
  • On iphone im pretty sure it did.

Did you try multiple files, it could have been the convertion?
  • Tried a couple, everything was played in a box taking up around 2/3 of the screen. Guess they've either changed it or I was unlucky.
  • Yeah tbh Im no expert on it, it's not really what I use my iphone for. Im sure I had some decent videos running at some point though.
  • Dragging and dropping into the what now?  The app files bit?  This is some witchcraft I haven't seen.
  • Ah, tbh I cant remember, I think I just dragged and dropped onto the iphone icon in finder. But finder on Lion has been retarded up a bit.

I can do some experimenting tomorrow if you can wait til then.
  • iPhone icon in finder?????????
  • Ignore what i said before!

I just downloaded 'playable' search for it on the app store, and it should come up straight away, or search vlc and it is a few apps down.

As soon as you launch there is an icon which will play a how to video on adding media.
    It is the same as vlc (note i was way off before) in the apps tab of iTunes a new section will appear where you an add files, apparently they are then scalable during playback.

The video explains it really and there seems to be a streaming function too although I havent tested it. The app seems well supported so I would suggest dling it and just experimenting
  • Also it is free but appears to have adverts, I didnt check how much the full app is.
  • I found something called AcePlayer, which apparently will even let me stream from a UPnP/DNLA media server?

If I could stream using the same OSX app I use to stream to the 360, that's precisely what I want...
  • Should work, I've seen a few apps that claim to. I believe that if you use Plex at both ends, you can stream over the 'net, too.
  • AHA!

I found something called AcePlayer, which might do it, but when I searched for it the same company have something called AirAV, which is free, and is exactly what I want; direct streaming from OSX DNLA servers to iPhone/iPad!
  • Elm, to assist with your media while you're in your house you can use any manner of media streaming software to sit on your laptop/desktop and stream to your pad.

I use http://www.boxee.tv/ 

I have the software sitting on my PC with access to my video and music collection and I have the Boxee app on my iPad which does a perfect job of streaming ANY video I have on my computer.

So if you just want to watch stuff in bed or while you around the house within your wifi catchment, this is a really great way to go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!