The Apple Thread
  • I'll have a look at that chum, cheers.  I'm using Majestic Media Server right now as it worked well with both the PS3 and Xbox, and so far it works perfectly coupled with AirAV for the iPhone.  

If it was a bit slicker with a nicer interface I'd change, so I'll look at Boxee.
  • Woah woah woah. There are loads of all-format video players for iOS, both universal and ipad optimised, free and costly.

See this list for the current recommended ones:

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/alternative-video-players

I use AVPlayerHD for my iPad and HD video is smooth as butter. For your DivX (you still use that???) or XVid files you'll have no problem at all, though high bitrate (quality) 1080p may stutter a bit. But then if you've found a torrent source for that, well done you.

Loading video files onto the iPad is easy. Simply plug it in, load up iTunes, go to the "Apps" tab, scroll down a bit, and you'll see a list of apps that can handle side-loading. Your video player will be there, simply click on add files, browse for the films you want, and add.

MUCH better than streaming.
  • NB - AFAIK DLNA streaming is shitty quality MPEG and comes out really blocky. The source transcodes to MPEG so that it can stream to really low-powered DLNA clients - it's not like DivX streaming where it streams the encoded file and decodes it on the device.

So if it's a DLNA app, I suggest try before you buy.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Woah woah woah. There are loads of all-format video players for iOS, both universal and ipad optimised, free and costly. See this list for the current recommended ones: http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/alternative-video-players I use AVPlayerHD for my iPad and HD video is smooth as butter. For your DivX (you still use that???) or XVid files you'll have no problem at all, though high bitrate (quality) 1080p may stutter a bit. But then if you've found a torrent source for that, well done you. Loading video files onto the iPad is easy. Simply plug it in, load up iTunes, go to the "Apps" tab, scroll down a bit, and you'll see a list of apps that can handle side-loading. Your video player will be there, simply click on add files, browse for the films you want, and add. MUCH better than streaming.

I use AVplayerHD.  It hasn't struggled with any file format I have tried and plays MKV files beautifully.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Loading video files onto the iPad is easy. Simply plug it in, load up iTunes, go to the "Apps" tab, scroll down a bit, and you'll see a list of apps that can handle side-loading. Your video player will be there, simply click on add files, browse for the films you want, and add. MUCH better than streaming.

... except that with streaming, I can finish watching something on my 360, streamed from the iMac, while curled up on the sofa with my wife, then hop into bed with her, tap a couple of icons, and continue streaming the same video from where we left off on the iPad/iPhone/etc.

It's the convenience I'm after; I'd probably like a cheap app that can handle playing DivX files as you mention, but your solution there isn't better than streaming for me.  I don't mind it being a little bit blocky if it avoids having to pre-load items onto the iPad and guess what we want to watch before we do it.

For when we're away, we'll probably do a split; I might put a couple of things on the iPad for the flight, but the MacBook comes everywhere with us, so it can hold the vast majority of video and we'll just stream it.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    For your DivX (you still use that???)

errrr, I just download the very occasional torrent.  I don't really mind what people use to encode it, tbh.  I'm evidently far from a compression snob!
  • Ah right, I get it, sorry.

Yeah Boxee is pretty great for that kind of thing. I was lucky enough to get hold of an app called AirView before it was taken off the app store, which uses Airplay in reverse: you set up your mac as an airplay server and your ipad becomes the client. Works really well (not for DRMed content though) and was free, but hasn't been in the store for a while.
  • I'm lucky in that I got an iPad at the original launch and basically downloaded anything and everything so I have all of the original iPad apps that have since been removed.

But Elm, Boxee is well supported, free, easy to use and easy to manage. Give it a shot - it's one of my most used apps.
  • That POS iCloud won't let me change the order of my bookmarks in iPhone Safari.  Anyone know how to fix that?

EDIT: okay, should have poked more before posting; I can reorder them, it's just a massive hassle now.
  • I'll try Boxee.  My current solution works but I'm always open to changes if it makes it a bit better.

The fact I can stream means that on long periods away from home we'll probably have the laptop with us too, so lots of media can stay on the laptop and be streamed, hence I don't think I need a 64Gb one.  

So I'm back to wondering if it's worth paying an extra $80 for the 3/4G functionality.  Even if I don't use it at first, it might be useful to have.  Does ANYONE actually have a cellular iPad?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Does ANYONE actually have a cellular iPad?

Yes. In the office we have them for our demo's.

What's the question?
  • google wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Does ANYONE actually have a cellular iPad?
    Yes. In the office we have them for our demo's. What's the question?

Are there different models for Verizon (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM)?  Am I right in thinking I can buy one, but not actually set up a data plan until I decide I want to? 

Is there any situation where it would be nice to have if a). you don't have a tether-capable phone and b). if you DO have a tether capable phone?

And if you didn't buy a cellular iPad, and you didn't have a phone that could tether, would you have bought the cellular one if it was just $80 more rather than $130?
  • There are different models in the US depending on the carrier you want to use the data plan with.

So you would want to purchase the AT&T version as it's GSM and If I remember correctly, the UK only works on GSM.

Honestly, I'm very rarely at any place where I don't have a Wifi connection and I cant do without not receiving my email for a few hours. So in the example you use, I would still only buy a WiFi capable model.
  • The only place I think I'd get some benefit from it is at work.  I can use a work PC to get on B&B, and tbh I guess I can use my phone to tweet etc, so there's no real necessity for it there.  

$80 is still $80, and then it's another $30 a month to activate it, so I guess it's not really required.  I think it's going to be a 32Gb wifi one, or possibly a 64Gb if I can think of any reason to get such a large one.
  • While I dont think you 'need' a 64GB iPad - I would certainlly recommend getting as much storage as you can afford.
  • Well, I can afford a 64Gb one, but the tight Scottish part of me would rather hide $100 under the pillow and put up with 32Gb.  With no music on it, no podcasts, and most movies being streamed, I wonder if I'd ever fill it up....?

What are your biggest apps?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Well, I can afford a 64Gb one, but the tight Scottish part of me would rather hide $100 under the pillow and put up with 32Gb.  With no music on it, no podcasts, and most movies being streamed, I wonder if I'd ever fill it up....? What are your biggest apps?

Biggest apps are games mostly:
    Monkey Island, Football Manager, Magic, etc - they're all around a GB.

Netflix and the like are around 10-20MB.
  • Think of it as $100 for an iPad that's essentially twice as good, Elm.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Think of it as $100 for an iPad that's essentially twice as good, Elm.

That's a pretty telling thing.  I know you said 16Gb was way small, but is 32Gb likely to be strained?
  • adkm1979 wrote:

I'm not sure why you've chosen this wordage. The functionality of the device stays the same.
  • I've got cellular iPad (bought from my brother). Don't need it, don't use it.

It's 64GB and even with big games and several movies and a fuckton of photos and music it's about 40% full. I would've bought 32GB wifi and, I suppose, eventually put up with space juggling.
  • But - what do you plan to do with the saved $100?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    But - what do you plan to do with the saved $100?

Dunno.  Does it matter?  Pay for a fortnight's worth of petrol.
  • There are some good suggestions in the lottery thread.

Get DS a vegas hooker.
  • google wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I'm not sure why you've chosen this wordage. The functionality of the device stays the same.
    Content is king.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'll be getting the most storage I can next time, and to think I nearly got a 16gb...
  • The price comparison's a little scary.

Wifi
    16Gb: UK £399, US £315
    32Gb: UK £479, US £377
    64Gb: UK £559, US £440

4G
    16Gb: UK £499, US £396
    32Gb: UK £579, US £460
    64Gb: UK £659, US £522

Even the iPad 2 is £329 in the UK, £250 in the US.
  • Yar,  I am fortunate that I travel stateside with some level of frequency due to work and I pick up all my gear in the US.  a couple of guys I work with who are based in the US buy it at places where there is no sales tax so it generally works out really well.

It is not uncommon for US based tech companies to do a 1:1 price comparison of dollars to pounds.....
  • Yeah, I don't have to pay sales tax either, which is handy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!