The Apple Thread
  • The current edition of Wired magazine is free via their Wired UK app. They have a multi page special on Apple. Its a very interesting read.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    The keyboard is very nice but is heavy enough that I think I’ll keep my previous one too for going out and about with.

I had the gen 1 Pro and keyboard and I rarely used it as I couldn’t get on with the feel of the keyboard. This I’ve used constantly. It’s all far note portable than my MacBook and with the pencil more flexible. Expensive, but worthwhile purchase imo.
  • Oooh my new 12.9 Pro comes tomorrow. The keyboard folio (not the magic one), pad and pencil came to around £1,200 - so I’ve saved you £500 there. If you want the magic keyboard, that’s another £150 on top.

Monthly finance through Barclays is free right now, so I’m paying around £50 a month for 2 years for the lot.
  • The keyboard for the New pro is great actually. Totally changes how you can use the iPad. They’ve really nailed this iteration of it.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Oooh my new 12.9 Pro comes tomorrow. The keyboard folio (not the magic one), pad and pencil came to around £1,200 - so I’ve saved you £500 there. If you want the magic keyboard, that’s another £150 on top.

Monthly finance through Barclays is free right now, so I’m paying around £50 a month for 2 years for the lot.

What Hd size is that?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • b0r1s wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    hi, i'm planning on getting the new 12.9 ipad pro, the new keyboard, pen and also some of the in ear headphones. So i'm going to be dropping about £1700, is there anywhere where i could get a discount for buying so much?

Not a discount, but get yourself a membership to BA Store. If you shop through their affiliate link to the Apple store you’ll get 7 points for every 1 you spend, so you are gonna get about 10,000 (it’s the pre-VAT price), which will get you a return flight to Europe (once Lockdown is over). If you also sign up to the BA Amex card and spend on that as well, you’ll get even more, around 7,000.

The keyboard is great btw. Yes, it’s heavy (more than the iPad) but best thing Apple have done in a while and I’m one or two apps away from not needing a MacBook Pro for the first time in years. I’ve now got a computer that does last more than all day, no fans and faster than my work machine.

Are the prices inflated to cover the reward?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No you just buy from Apple.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Re: storage bear in mind you can plug USB-C drives and offload files now. Something to consider.
  • Is that the avios estore?
  • mk64 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Oooh my new 12.9 Pro comes tomorrow. The keyboard folio (not the magic one), pad and pencil came to around £1,200 - so I’ve saved you £500 there. If you want the magic keyboard, that’s another £150 on top.

What Hd size is that?

128gb. Had that with my old Pro and didn’t come anyway close to filling it.
  • It’s here. Very nice.
  • Finally convinced wife to move to iphone. Is there any way to transfer whatsapp chats across? The android backed up to google drive, but the iphone uses icloud.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • There’s no way to do it. They’re encrypted and the option to export/import doesn’t work across Android/iOS - or at least there wasn’t when I switched around 12 months ago.
  • Balls. That's not gonna go down well. Cheers.
  • I’d be interested to know how you are going to transfer general photos (not whatsapp). Thinking of moving my wife to iphone as well.
  • Yeah, google photos plus the transfer to iOS app transfers a lot across I think.
  • I was sure WhatsApp, being owned by fb n that, had its own backup servers for chats that restores once you log in? Did it with my gf's new phone but that was android to android tbf.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    It’s here. Very nice.

Impressions? You hooked up a mouse or trackpad?
  • I was sure WhatsApp, being owned by fb n that, had its own backup servers for chats that restores once you log in? Did it with my gf's new phone but that was android to android tbf.

Within ecosystems it's fine. It's going between the two.

Although lets be honest, how much are you actually going back and reading those chats?
  • Found some slightly iffy software called backuptrans that claims to do the job. $20 but looks like I can test it before I part with any cash.
  • Great, thanks for Google Photos link.

Don't have any photos on google drive and they will be above the Google free allowance. However, might look into selective photo backing up and restoring, 5GB at a time. Will be awkward though.
  • There’s no limit if you use their compression, which is pretty good for casual use. Could you backup more important photos to a pc or something?
  • It's all on PC already. But, I think I need use itunes and sync to get them on to the iphone - and life is too short to use sync.

Another option is to see if I can upload photos to icloud, download to phone, delete from icloud, repeat. However, I expect the deletion from icloud will also delete them from the phone.
  • If all of your pictures are on PC, surely the easiest way to do this is through iTunes?

Google Photos should give you 15GB, not 5. Are you referring to the space you get for an iCloud backup?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Apple moving to Arm (possibly) - I called this a while back. Intel double screwed? Pressure on the PC side from AMD, now Apple possibly (probably) moving away from them. 

• If all of your pictures are on PC, surely the easiest way to do this is through iTunes? Google Photos should give you 15GB, not 5. Are you referring to the space you get for an iCloud backup?

Probably getting mixed up. 15GB still not enough but will make the chunks smaller.

itunes sync is a pain - unless you can directly copy photos to an iphone now (like you can with music files)
  • Id ask the question then, how much of the photos are actually needed on the phone, and at full resolution? Because thats like, a lot.

Transferring is a good tine to ask how much of your stuff is crap, and how much you actually want.
  • Transferring is a good time to ask how much of your stuff is crap, and how much you actually want.

Yep. Just like moving house. Have a clearout.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!