The Last Jedi & Episode 9 - Discussion and SPOILERS (that means stay out if you have not seen it)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Me too. But I'll no doubt end up going along to see it and that fact that I'm expecting disaster might mean I'm pleasantly surprised. Mayber.
  • In some ways it'd be hard to not make an interesting exciting film starring a young Han and featuring the Falcon doing the kessel run.

Anyway it brings this with it so I'm happy.

u7o424e6rl801.jpg
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I think it’s a bad idea.

Presumably you also have a bad feeling about it?

Assuming that the date doesn't slip then the Han Solo film will be coming out on my 40th birthday.

• WorKid wrote:
    In some ways it'd be hard to not make an interesting exciting film starring a young Han and featuring the Falcon doing the kessel run.

I feel the total opposite. Near impossible to get it right, imho. Obviously, I hope they do get it right, but...
  • I'm not saying it will please everyone, but given the characters, the setting, the budget and the actors, I think it'd take some incompetence not to make it interesting and exciting.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    However if I knew what I know now pre pre-Ep. 7 I probably wouldn't have bothered as this extension isn't adding anything worthwhile to the original 6.

Other than a veneer of shit, what did the prequels add to the original trilogy?
    Things can only get better.
  • The entire story of how Anakin became Vader.
  • WorKid wrote:
    A shit version of The entire story of how Anakin became Vader.

FTFY
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The prequels aren't great. I'm one of those weird people who thought they were OK - and I found something in them all to like. (ep.1 is a stretch though it probably has the best light sabre fight).

It completed the Vader arc for me which I enjoyed and they looked pretty good too.

The one thing that grates with me in the first trilogy is the low tech of the Ewoks. Make them cute sure, but overcoming stormtroopers with rocks and spears was a step too far. They were smart - so even if they had got into an armoury and won that way - that would have made the original trilogy's finish far better.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    If you find something to enjoy in the prequels, I find it hard to understand why you can’t find the sequels somewhat enjoyable too.

Opinions eh?
    Things can only get better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    But the prequels are filling in gaps ; being an origins story.

These later additions aren't really adding anything. I've no desire to see them again which surprises me.

But opinions. Aye.
  • The new Han solo movie runs a very high risk (though I'll never tell you the odds) of fucking up the kessel run.some things are better left to the imagination.

Is there any background stuff out there now about the Knights of Ren?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I imagine it's going to be really exciting seeing the nav computer doing the calculations required for that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. That Kessel run thing.And it being measured in parsecs. Something to do with navigating an arc around a black hole? The faster you go the shorter the distance?  Bollocks I say. A misuse of a word in 1976.

No doubt someone will post to correct me on that Kessel run thing.
  • A parsec is a unit of distance. So he did it in a very short distance. Skilled pilot. Probably took a shortcut through an asteroid field like.
  • davyK wrote:
    But the prequels are filling in gaps ; being an origins story.

These later additions aren't really adding anything. I've no desire to see them again which surprises me.

But opinions. Aye.

I’d argue that this doesn’t make much sense. The prequels fleshed out things that had been alluded to or outright explained in full. The only things they ‘added’ were ret-con nonsense and confusion. They barely even look like they belong to the same universe. Conversely, everything in VII and VIII is new story, and clearly set in the same universe.
  • No Andy, it finally let us deep dive on trade deals, the real reason we watch these films.
  • Trade deals are a funnier character than we've had before though guys.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Both the prequels and sequels undermine the original trilogy. The prequels by rendering the origins of the story ridiculous. The sequels by undoing the victory, which is / was pretty much the ultimate movie good guy epic victory over bad guys against impossible odds. You can choose how much attention you pay to that of course. But you’re intentionally disregarding things the creators have told you to pay attention to.

There’s no ‘adding’ to the story now though. The more they do, the worse the overall thing becomes. It’s the nature of the thing. There was once a golden period where Star Wars was magical because a) childhood and b) they only cashed in on it in superficial ways (‘member pogs?) But then the 90s special editions happened and it’s been a steady slide to ruin ever since.
  • "be careful what you wish for"
  • monkey wrote:
    b) they only cashed in on it in superficial ways (‘member pogs?)

Bollocks, mate.
  • Alright, ways I didn’t care about or approved of. Toys, books, video games. I think the pogs were to promote the special editions. They hadn’t messed around with the films.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree the original trilogy should have been left alone. But that's with hindsight. I was keen to see the prequels.

I enjoyed the sights of the prequels. And the set pieces made them worth the watch for me.

While eps 7 & 8 look great they just haven't held me. As I say I'll see it out but I'm going through the motions.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    There was once a golden period where Star Wars was magical because a) childhood and b) they only cashed in on it in superficial ways (‘member pogs?) But then the 90s special editions happened and it’s been a steady slide to ruin ever since.

I think the interesting thing is that even if you just consider the films and the contemporary tie-in stuff from the OT days, you're still left with films that imply in the title sequence that three other episodes should exist so it's difficult to just mentally go 'Star Wars ended in 1991*'.

* The release year of Heir to the Empire, which I think in terms of the wider franchise marks the end of the OT era and the beginning of the era that contained the Special Editions and the prequels.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The new Han solo movie runs a very high risk (though I'll never tell you the odds) of fucking up the kessel run.some things are better left to the imagination. Is there any background stuff out there now about the Knights of Ren?

This is my fear. 

Bill Watterson always avoided from showing The Noodle Incident in Calvin and Hobbes because he said it would be better in the reader's imagination.

The kessel run is probably just a standard trade route with some rocks to dodge along the way. Best left undescribed like all the story in halo post 2001.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Never tell us the odds of actualising the Kessel Run in a satisfactory manner. I'd campaign hard to avoid it if it were up to me. They can do plenty of other stuff that doesn't pour fresh piss on our imaginations.

Han was Ford so much more than the other way around. Might as well remake Die Hard without Bochner. Doomed project.
  • Han Solo movie does seem to have the odds stacked against it. The biggest hurdle will surely be 'that's not Harrison Ford', but even just what story they tell and how is riddled with potential issues.
    I'd hope it's a completely separate story that doesn't touch on the mainline films at all...but my guess/fear would be that the film will condense everything we know about Han into the few hours just before a new hope: get falcon, dump Jabba's shipment, do the kessel run, turn up at Tattooine as the star destroyer chasing Leia flies past. All done in a 'Guardians of the Galaxy-lite' style.

But then not addressing those things we know about Han would cause just as big an issue for fans that want to see those stories told.
  • It's gonna have Han meets Chewie, Lando and the Falcon wager, probably Jabba's debt.
    Go in expecting all the Han cliches, expect the actor to be close but not quite Ford.

If you pay 15 quid to go and see it at the cinema then moan about those things you are a bit of a mug for going in the first place. If those things turn you off wait for the DS release.
  • Agreed, I'm not going.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!