The Last Jedi & Episode 9 - Discussion and SPOILERS (that means stay out if you have not seen it)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Han Solo movie does seem to have the odds stacked against it. The biggest hurdle will surely be 'that's not Harrison Ford', but even just what story they tell and how is riddled with potential issues. I'd hope it's a completely separate story that doesn't touch on the mainline films at all...but my guess/fear would be that the film will condense everything we know about Han into the few hours just before a new hope: get falcon, dump Jabba's shipment, do the kessel run, turn up at Tattooine as the star destroyer chasing Leia flies past. All done in a 'Guardians of the Galaxy-lite' style. But then not addressing those things we know about Han would cause just as big an issue for fans that want to see those stories told.

Actually - if done right with the right actor and they keep it under 2 hours - could be splendid.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • How can they fit it all into 2 hours though? They're going to have the same problems R1 and TLJ have with jumping around from thing to the next too quickly.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I would love to see it done as a space western. Go full Sergio Leone on it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Don't forget the tie-in Solo books and comics (now totally canon!!!11) that will strip away any last vestiges of mystique surrounding the proceedings. I predict a 400 page-ish YA novel that chronicles Solo's life from the cradle to the opening sequence of the film, including how he loses his virginity because it's really important to the people writing these things that we knowwwww.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Where he made the Linda run in ten seconds.
    Things can only get better.
  • Last Crusade is only 2 hours.
    It could easily match the pace of that.

Rogue One and TLJ had too many characters hence being choppy.

On that note, I wonder how they will shoe horn in an Asian this time.
  • I would like them to just do the event leading up to Han and chewie being on Mos Eisley but they were just kind of chilling waiting for work so ehhhh probably not going to work.

Anyway fuck this film and definitely the obiwan surprise I wasn't just crying in the desert for 40 years movie. Fuck the Vader film when we get that as well. The characters and events are just never going to be that well done in today's format of 2.5 hours with or orchestral scores and huge set pieces.

A Han Solo film that was like the first 5 minutes of R1 where it's all backstreets and grimy could be good, and they really play up the moral ambiguity of things, have him running jobs for the imperial or something. I doubt that's happening though. Hope you all like yung jabba, yung cute version Salacious Crumb for the merch, a joke cameo of sebulba AGAIN, yung lando and yung nien nunb or whatever the of pilot guy of the falcon is called. Don't forget yung boba cameo and yung someone else getting their own movie later for the tie in.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • A Big Lewbowski rehash I could get on board with.
    Chewie as Goodman, Han is the dude, Lando as Jesus,.
  • Wouldn't a young Han Solo film just be Firefly?

Young Lando is Donald Glover, so I hold out some hope for that.
  • No Firefly is shit

Actually, yes

Also I can't read Donald Glover without thinking an old black man really is poor casting.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    A Han Solo film that was like the first 5 minutes of R1 where it's all backstreets and grimy could be good, and they really play up the moral ambiguity of things, have him running jobs for the imperial or something. I doubt that's happening though.

The Del Toro guy and his whole philosophy, playing both side to scrape a living while not siding with anyone etc. feeds directly into what they should be doing with the Solo film.

He should definitely be doing some shady turn a blind eye stuff for the Empire, maybe even some not so indirect stuff like what matey boy got up to at the start of R1, so that moment where he's fucked off and left the rebels to it in ANH is still believable. He should be out for himself, no matter who he's taking the money off as long as it's rolling in.

They won't though, and he'll probably have the same am I a good guy/do I care/do I believe in something decision to make in this as he did in ANH, rendering his whole arc redundant.
  • They won't though, and he'll probably have the same am I a good guy/do I care/do I believe in something decision to make in this as he did in ANH, rendering his whole arc redundant.
    Jesuz that makes it sounds like a Will Smith role.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • No Firefly is shit

Actually, yes

Also I can't read Donald Glover without thinking an old black man really is poor casting.

Firefly was great, apart from the film.
  • The (expected) problem for me will be if they try to tie it too tightly into A New Hope and the mainline films, such that it becomes part of it. This was an issue for me with Rogue One, with the way the ending pulled in Leia and how she got the plans...up until then, it was a separate thing, if it was good or bad it didn't really matter. but that ending effectively made it 'episode 3.9'...it affects the story because when Darth gets Leia in a new hope and she's like "I don't know what you're talking about", Darth should be "i just chased and murdered the fuckers that carried the plan onto your ship and just watched it fly away, I know full well you have it".

So if 'Han Solo' ends with him sat in Mos Eisley saying "what's that Chewie, some old dude and his grandson want a lift to Alderaan? Maybe we can fleece them to pay Jabba back" that will bother me because it's crossing paths with the 'other Han'. if they can keep it separate from the events of the main movies then I'll be much more 'accepting' of it.

I appreciate though that it may only be me that will get this caught up on such minor points.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • You call it a minor point ram but continuity is actually a pretty basic part of filmmaking, so youre right to be irked when such things are either ignored imho.
  • I thought continuity was only for nerds?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I believe Rogue One had alternative endings considered that were more true to the letter of the dialogue at the beginning of A New Hope but they were slightly more faffy and seemed to be refined down to what we ended up with.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    How can they fit it all into 2 hours though? They're going to have the same problems R1 and TLJ have with jumping around from thing to the next too quickly.

Dunno - ep 4 was just on 2 hours and had a fair old bit going on in it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    But then not addressing those things we know about Han would cause just as big an issue for fans fools that want to see those stories told.

No good can come of it, I tells ya. Those fans are the problem with Star Wars.

Roujin wrote:
    The characters and events are just never going to be that well done in today's format of 2.5 hours with orchestral scores and huge set pieces.

Kasparov
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Agreed, I'm not going.

Just like you're not buying Destiny 2 aayyyyy
  • I still want the Obi-Wan standalone with Ewan McGregor, when do you set it though? I suppose it would have to be between Sith and ANH.
  • Yeah thats when it's set and that's why it'll probably suck ass since ANH seemed to imply he was a crazy hermit. 

BUT NUUU HE WAS ACTUALLY TALKNG TO QUI GON AND DOING SUDOKUS AND HAVING ADVENTURES AND SHIT THE WHOLE TIME. MOTHERFUCKER PROBABLY LIKE WHERE'S WALLY IN LUKES FAMILY PHOTO ALBUM.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I still want the Obi-Wan standalone with Ewan McGregor, when do you set it though? I suppose it would have to be between Sith and ANH.

Sith's an odd name for a woman. I don't remember him dating her.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I would love to see it done as a space western. Go full Sergio Leone on it.

Yes. But I'd have thought that a 'Hans' movie would need at least a cert 15...
    The dude's a reformed degenerate. In the Star Wars films, you're the witness to his redemption...

His life before that should be Tarrantino fare.

That's not going to happen in a Disney movie, I'm sure.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm sure it's going to be an utter ripsnorter of an adventure which will make everything he gets up to in the original trilogy seem tame by comparison. A bit like how R1 Vader makes ANH Vader look like a pensioner with arthritis in his fight scene.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    A bit like how R1 Vader makes ANH Vader look like a pensioner with arthritis in his fight scene.

https://www.rxwiki.com/slideshow/famous-people-arthritis/david-prowse
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The official synopsis for Solo has been released:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I still want the Obi-Wan standalone with Ewan McGregor, when do you set it though? I suppose it would have to be between Sith and ANH.

I liked McGregor's Obi-Wan sequences in The Clone Was - his little detective bit and the fight with Jango Fett was excellent.
  • It looks like someone  fixed the film in the edit

Some guy uploaded a cut without any women, it's 46 mins long.
    If you’re wondering what sort of stuff was cut, here are some examples:

“Cut out most shots showing female fighters/pilots and female officers commanding people around/having ideas.“
    “NO HALDO (sic)! She simply doesn’t exist. Her whole subplot doesn’t exist. The Kamikaze is carried out by Poe. ( = Poe dies.)“
    “Leia never scolds, questions nor demotes Poe. He is a respected and very skilled high-ranking member of the resistance.“
    “When there’s a scene where a woman is cut in making some important statement that can be substituted by another statement by a guy, then she gets cut out. Works pretty well actually.“
    “Wookie eats the Porg, or at least isn’t interrupted in trying to do so.“
    “No green milk.” (What the fuck)
    Obviously it’s far from perfect. The source is not even on DVD-level. Some of the technical edits were slacked because why not, it’s a CAM source (e.g. some masks and Snoke disappearing). Sometimes there’s an extreme zoom despite the mediocre quality. There are plotholes and continuity errors and some cuts are not as smooth as they should be, especially audio transition-wise.

But for what it’s worth, it can now at least be viewed without feeling nauseaus about most of the terrible big and small decisions they made in this film. Also, at least the intro sequence is now very watchable and actually much cooler without all of Leia’s nitpicking. Now it’s all one united Resistance fighting without inner conflict and that’s much more satisfying to watch. Due to the extreme shortening, the whole movie is much more fast-paced now, at times unfortuantely also rushed due to a lack of usable filler footage.

I like that these things can get uploaded onto the internet, it's great fun.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!