The Last Jedi & Episode 9 - Discussion and SPOILERS (that means stay out if you have not seen it)
  • Boolitt wrote:
    I took my 8 year old son to see this on Saturday. He thought it was the most awesome thing he'd ever seen. I think that's kinda the point with star wars tbh. I thought it had some good scenes, some funny bits, and some stupid stuff. But most importantly, my kid loved it which kinda made me love it, a wee bit.

I took my 12yr old nephew, he gave it a [10] and said it's the best one.  Then he said Episode II is the second best, so I made a mental note to ignore all his opinions forever.
  • That's the target market. Kids and next generation of star wars fans. Not us old peeps.
  • See, I could believe that, were it not for the many many many U and PG and 12 rated films I've watched that were intended for kids but can be enjoyed by anyone. 

I feel like that's kind of a cop out that has started being used about shit films, when they happen to be both shitty but also have a child friendly rating.

A good film is a good film. Oh hi Indiana Jones, ET, Goonies, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Muppets Christmas Carol, The Lion King, Toy Story, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Boolitt wrote:
    I took my 8 year old son to see this on Saturday. He thought it was the most awesome thing he'd ever seen. I think that's kinda the point with star wars tbh. I thought it had some good scenes, somek funny bits, and some stupid stuff. But most importantly, my kid loved it which kinda made me love it, a wee bit.

I took my 12yr old nephew, he gave it a [10] and said it's the best one.  Then he said Episode II is the second best, so I made a mental note to ignore all his opinions forever.

Aye yer right. It was shit
  • Roujin wrote:
    A good film is a good film. Oh hi Indiana Jones, ET, Goonies, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Muppets Christmas Carol, The Lion King, Toy Story, etc.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No Goonies, yer wot m8
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    He's not dead, he's immortal now.

Deployed for platitudes in two scenes in next film, huzzah
    Roujin wrote:
    I woukd have liked to see just one single, colossal, demonstration of his power that kills him in the process. No saber fighting. Just nothing the whole film other than doing his best to carefully pass on what he can to Rey with memories of Kylo on his mind and then just one fucking huge redemptive spectacle witnessed by many that turns the tide of an impossible situation for the resistance.

Would have been fucking mint.

Fuck I'm almost tearing up at the thought of it if they did it right.

But no. Dead in a cave innit.

Would have been nice if he smashed up walkers. At least then I'd understand the strain. As it is, he demonstrated that force mastery means you still make a meeting if the RMT strikes, but it'll cost ya
    Mm he essentially VMPd in cos he was pinned down for the day and couldn't be arsed managing face time with the management
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Rian basically chucked out every thing the fans had spent years on forums speculating about.
    Got to admire him having the guts to do that.
    It leaves the story wide open for anything now, which I guess is what it needed after complaints that TFA was essentially a remastered ANH.

Snoke dead,
    Kylo confused
    Rey still not a Jedi or Sith or a skywalker/Kenobi /solo
    Luke dead
    Leia will be dead.
    Force open to anyone
    Rebellion reduced to nothing
    No big planet destroyer.
    No Han solo character
    Chewie sidelined to f.

Episode 9 is relatively a clean slate tbh.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Does anyone here know what kylo's motivations are? Why does he want to be supreme leader?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    He wants to be the very best
    Like no-one ever was
    To capture Rey is his real test
    To train her is his cause
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I watched TFA tonight up until Rey using  a mind trick to escape.blimey it's so much better than TLJ and sets up so much. And some stunning  images and sequences.what in TLJ tops the xwings skimming over the surface of the lake or the falcon jakku escape?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The lightspeed smash up was pretty good
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    The lightspeed smash up was pretty good

+1

@superflyninja from TFA I thought the sunbacked shot of the tie fighters was top too.

• The snoke fight was fantastic. A good kinetic saber fight without all the silly flipping and spinning of the prequels.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/the-24-biggest-questions-we-have-after-seeingstar-wars-the-last-jedi/

Some good stuff there. I don't remember her taking the books though, when did that happen?

I feel like the more I read about it the more I see the stuff they managed to explain and interesting themes they put in. I just feel like the film didn't do the best job of presenting them to the audience. Makes me wish for a Villeneuve version.
  • I watched TFA tonight up until Rey using  a mind trick to escape.blimey it's so much better than TLJ and sets up so much. And some stunning  images and sequences.what in TLJ tops the xwings skimming over the surface of the lake or the falcon jakku escape?

The image of Luke facing a group of AT-ATS was pretty stunning. The Rey/Ren fight against the Red Guard.
  • I don't remember her taking the books though, when did that happen?
    I don't think she did, my guess is Luke left them there. You see them briefly at the very end when Finn gets the blanket out of a drawer on the Falcon to put on yer woman.
  • Boolitt wrote:
    I took my 8 year old son to see this on Saturday. He thought it was the most awesome thing he'd ever seen. I think that's kinda the point with star wars tbh. I thought it had some good scenes, somek funny bits, and some stupid stuff. But most importantly, my kid loved it which kinda made me love it, a wee bit.
    Aye yer right. It was shit

Oh no it wasn't (I really enjoyed it).

Episode II was though, it's the only one I couldn't finish.
  • Yeah those images/sequences were good for sure. But in TFA that X-Wing battle at maz's castle with that single tracking shot of Po always gets me whooping and hollering like a pissed redneck when I watch it.
    Ah I just think that Rhian threw the baby out with the bathwater in this.

Edit regarding that shot of Luke in front of the atats,great image but then I was totally left down by what followed
  • I don't remember her taking the books though, when did that happen?

You don't see her do it, but she presumably takes them when she leaves Luke.  Which means, of course, that Yoda is massively trolling Luke when he tells him that she already has all the information they could give her - because she literally does.  (Then he blows up the tree, preventing Luke from finding out, and pisses himself laughing.)
    legaldinho wrote:
    Does anyone here know what kylo's motivations are? Why does he want to be supreme leader?

I don't think even he knows anymore.  His motivations were largely attributable to being manipulated by others - he was a confused, petulant kid who was being groomed by Snoke.  Post Snoke murder - he was partly just obsessed with revenge on those who rejected him, Luke and to a lesser degree Rey.  I think his main motivation though seems to be to no longer be answerable to anyone, not Luke, not Snoke, and certainly not Hux.  He's a teenager setting fire to everything, because every role model he had was an arsehole.

But yeah, his motivations by the end of the movie, other than incoherent rage are, at best, up for debate
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah that tracking shot was cool AF.

Original trilogy best of for me has to be; first seeing the AT-ATs, RoTJ final duel with Luke and Vader and when the Millennium Falcon first enters the Death Star.

Oh crap and when all the ships of the fleet realise it’s a trap, the incoming tie fighters, slowly turning cruisers etc. Amazing scene.
  • as much as salt-hoth was such a clear copy, and regardless of what happened there...the way the salt turned red was a cool visual.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It was, the kamikaze light speed scene also
  • b0r1s wrote:

Original trilogy best of for me has to bsewe; first seeing the AT-ATs, RoTJ final duel with Luke and Vader and when the Millennium Falcon first enters the Death Star.

Oh crap and when all the ships of the fleet realise it’s a trap, the incoming tie fighters, slowly turning cruisers etc. Amazing scene.

I found much of empire looks great. Particularly like the sabre battle between Luke and vadar - short brutal and more effective than most of the other stuff.

SFV - reddave360
  • as much as salt-hoth was such a clear copy, and regardless of what happened there...the way the salt turned red was a cool visual.

You see when I saw that in the trailer my immediate thought was 'why are the alliance craft letting off red flares behind their exhaust pipes?'  And when I saw it in the film I was like ' it's nice that the rebels are putting in a red arrows performance, but surely they've got more important things to worry about right now?'
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

Original trilogy best of for me has to be; first seeing the AT-ATs, RoTJ final duel with Luke and Vader and when the Millennium Falcon first enters the Death Star.

"Yeah well we can still outmanoeuvre em" cue best shots
  • Stopharage wrote:
    As much as anything else, I see Luke sacrificing himself in order to harness Rey’s true power under his ghostly tutelage in the next film. The living Luke couldn’t shape and control Ren’s use of the Force, so by elevating to the eternal plane, he’s hoping he can help mound Rey.

Read as ‘mount Rey.’
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

"Yeah well we can still outmanoeuvre em" cue best shots

I’ve made myself want to watch Jedi again now. May have to be donethus weekend.

It is still the consensus that Jedi is short for Return of The Jedi and we aren’t going to start using it for Last Jedi?
  • Oh Jedi is definitely still short for Return of the Jedi.
  • We could have done with a new ship to replace the millennium falcon. Bet that model would have sold shit loads of toys and Lego.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    We could have done with a new ship to replace the millennium falcon. Bet that model would have sold shit loads of toys and Lego.
    Get out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!