Destiny 2 - Developed by Bungie
  • Attempting to grapple with the horrible new horrible of PvP now, it's not so much the getting-killed-all-the-time as the sheer amount of time sitting around to get in a position to get killed all the time - the load-ins, the respawning, the fact it's all over in 10 minutes. How a noob is supposed to go from zero to competent in that context is beyond me. Demoralising AND a logistical ballache.
    You wanna go no-limits on participation - particularly after a period where the best have been ONLY playing the best and getting crazy good thanks to some implementation of SBMM now for a while! - you need to provide proper gym equipment, and this platform seems to have no ambition in that direction. It will probably die on that basis, and that's a shame because there is a way outta this shit if they take it srsly. They're so concerned about difficulty settings for several chunks of PvE content, but not for the one where getting the difficulty level right is actually the most pertinent longer term.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Well Iron Banner is the wrong place to start my man. It's always been a cluster fuck of sweats and try-hards colliding with shitty servers and questionable hit box detection. Drives me mad at the best of times.

I had about five good games last night then all of a sudden boom! Every game was a nightmare. Getting steam rolled every game while being paired with goons.
  • Banner was my favourite thing about Destiny...sad face.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Well Iron Banner is the wrong place to start my man. It's always been a cluster fuck of sweats and try-hards colliding with shitty servers and questionable hit box detection. Drives me mad at the best of times. I had about five good games last night then all of a sudden boom! Every game was a nightmare. Getting steam rolled every game while being paired with goons.

I was pissing around in a fireteam of 5 mostly just chatting shit; similar experience - maybe a couple genuinely close games in a heap of one-sided drubbings or beastings. I had minimal impact on any of them and maybe went 1.x thrice by mostly accident. 
    Teamstacking and banter is the only way to offset the impact of basically wretched conditions, got all the questy/bounty things done in 3/4 hours. It's a poor solution.

You look at some third-party pieces of software for aimtraining or maybe space control or whatever and it's like, why aren't these mechanisms in the damn game already. Mutter.
  • On yesterday's upside, "jet epbeams didn't melt himself" is the best username I've seen in a bit.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    You just gotta take Destiny's PvP with a pinch of salt. It's so chock full of bullshit and "what the fuck?" moments that you can't take it too serious. It's always been the same though, since back in Destiny 1.

There were a few times last night when I face-melted some one point black with my Blasphemer only to be one-punch ko'd and see them run off without so much as a pixel of health missing.

Also, I've noticed since I came back that cheating is rife at the moment.
  • Cheating ! That's atrocious. . . How does one cheat at Destiny?
  • Usual PvP shit - aimbots, infinite revives, wallhacking, lag switches. All the fun of the fair.
  • Ah, all things I have heard of and understand comprehensively.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's never been this rampant though.
  • Brief thoughts after some time with the new season;

Positives - The new weapons and catalyst are cool. I'm loving the Cold Denial pulse and both of the new swords for their Dark Drinker and Bolt Caster-alike heavy attacks. The seasonal exotic, Witherhoard, is just fantastic and has become a regular in my loadouts, duelling for a spot with the utterly bonkers catalyst-equipped Trinity Ghoul. Srsly, that bow is something else right now, and especially if you're running an arc subclass. 

Big fan of the new weapon perks, Unrelenting and Killing Wind. Top tier stuff. 

I don't mind the seasonal public event at all, always liked the mechanics of Gambit and yeah this doesn't give you the same satisfaction of a win but at the same time a single clueless teammate ain't gonna fuck it for everyone else. Anyway, it's about 10,000 times better than the last one, and I've had zero trouble getting people involved. With last season's Seraph Towers, half the time you started one every nearby player would jump on their sparrow and fuck off at warp speed.  

Really enjoying the weekly Interference mission, but I'm a total sucker for anything Hive and Ascendant Realm related. Love that shit. 

I'm also digging getting the seasonal Umbral engrams from so many different sources, and I really, really hope they keep this idea going forward.  

This season's artefact is much better than the last one for me, and the return of Oppressive Darkness for void grenades is most welcome. 

Negatives - Fuck the power grind. I know it's not specifically a This Season thing, but I've grown to hate it, and it's without a doubt my least favourite thing about the game. 

Really annoyed at having to grind out new versions of the exact same god rolls I had on weapons like Breach Light, Martyr's Retribution, lonesome, and Nightwatch, for them to avoid sunsetting a little longer. Maybe I wouldn't mind as much if they'd added a few new perks to the pool, but unless I'm missing something they're the exact same guns I've already grinded for just a few seasons ago? Nah mate. 

The ditching of SBMM in regular PvP modes is a shame, but typical of Bungie's clueless approach to the Crucible during D2's life. An absolute shitshow of a multiplayer when compared to almost every other MP out there. 

And while I actually like the season pass (or whatever it's called), I do think the XP requirements to level up are far too high. 

Overall - Yeah it's a decent enough Y3 season so far. It's a far cry from Y2 seasons, however, and at this point I'm actually looking back on Y1's DLC model with fondness. But hey, the gunplay, world-building, and art direction are as good as it gets and it's still my favourite game to sink all my free time into. 

I mean, besides Minecraft of course.
  • Agreed on the ghoul, easy catalyst to get and activate also.

Is breachlight in the weapons pool?
    Can-of-sprite
  • You can get an Arrival's version from the Umbral engrams. Dawn focusing lets you go for either that or Martyr's, both of which I need new versions of due to Sunsetting.
  • Cheers, need to clean out my bloody vault again....
    Can-of-sprite
  • Aye, spent two hours on mine the other Saturday morning. I'm full again. Obvs.
  • Been having a lot of fun with Sturm and Drang lately. Had no idea Sturm's Overcharge rounds got such a big PvE buff last year, it makes a noticeable difference in general play. The lil no-reload minigame you play between the two is good fun, but so is clearing a lost sector with Drang then switching to Sturm and having like 87 Overcharge rounds in the mag!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Negatives - Fuck the power grind. I know it's not specifically a This Season thing, but I've grown to hate it, and it's without a doubt my least favourite thing about the game.

Absolutely. Pure monotony at this stage. Same thing every single season. Grind another 50 odd power levels. Such a shitty, artificial way to extent time investment. At this stage I think there should be only one power cap increase per year and that's with the September expansion. Seasons after this should have new activities, gear and quests but there should be no reset with each one. I'm just beyond bored with it. I wouldn't mind playing my Warlock but I just can't be arsed with the grind and I ain't paying Bungie for a power level boost.

The ditching of SBMM in regular PvP modes is a shame, but typical of Bungie's clueless approach to the Crucible during D2's life. An absolute shitshow of a multiplayer when compared to almost every other MP out there.

Yeah, been playing Iron Banner all week and the PvP really has sunk to a new low level. I can't get over the amount of cheating in it and or server abuse. I dunno how many times I've face-blasted someone in recent days only to be one-punched and see them run off without so much as a pixel of health missing. Power level discrepancy or otherwise, there is still something fishy going on there.

I'm convinced now more than ever that no one at Bungie really plays their game. At least to the level of being a committed hobbyist player. I mean all you have to do is look at how overwhelmingly OP Titans are in PvP.

You know there is a probably when you get spawn-killed by the same super...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Arc bottom tree I think? Seems to last forever.
  • Aye, that's the one. I've abused it myself, but fuck me what a mess. That kinda thing just shouldn't exist in a competitive MP game. Get killed by a super, respawn after a short delay half a map away and insta-die to the same bloody super! 

So stupid.
  • That got nerfed a while back, have they made some changes that have strengthened it again?

Will have to try it out.
  • I don't think it's been buffed, just that the nerfs haven't stopped it from being crazy strong.
  • True story; I did that exact thing myself. Popped my super on a couple of hunters in the middle of the map, shoulder charged them into oblivion then ran to where I thought they'd be spawning and got 'em again. 

They proceeded to brutalise me for the rest of the match, tea-bagging so hard there were points I thought they were gonna go through the floor. One of them was "tactically crouching" over my death spot for so long that I respawned and ran over there to find him STILL TEA-BAGGING! 

I looked at him, he looked at me. He didn't shoot. Just carried on tea-bagging.

What a fucking legend.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Get killed by a super, respawn after a short delay half a map away and insta-die to the same bloody super!  So stupid.

Yeah I've played my fair share of Titan and Warlock over the years and I am adamant that their supers piss all over Hunters.
  • When I started this I picked Juggernaut on a pure whim and naturally I have picked nothing else since lol.
  • Supers basically shoudn't exist in PvP, is pure Mario Kart blue shell rubberband bollocks.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    For Titans and Warlocks yes. At least with Hunters (bar Blade Barrage) you actually have to aim and you don't get insane armour and mobility bonuses.

Think I'll switch back to Titan :P

Can't beat 'em, join 'em ect...
  • I die to more Hunter supers I think. Fuck knows why.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Probably Russians. It's always the Russians.
  • Oh, those Russians.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!