Once More Into The Breach Poor Yorick Out Now on Switch and RISC OS
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only permanent upgrades are the perks that are unlocked on pilots, and you can only carry one pilot through to another game assuming they don’t die.
  • I wouldn’t really bother with easy. It’s almost a different game because the interesting stuff is unecessary.

The sense I get is that the diffirence is how well you can manage damage to the buildings (ie expect and account for damage to resource in harder levels)
  • I stuck with normal and got hang of it after a while. Initial few tries were hard but then it clicks.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I stuck with normal and got hang of it after a while. Initial few tries were hard but then it clicks.
    Yeah, same. It's not a difficult game on Normal once the ropes are learned.
  • If you switch difficulties do you lose everything, or can you chop and change?  I'll stick with normal for now, it's not like I'm not progressing.     

I've had trouble settling on a difficulty setting in a couple of grid tactics games.  Obviously this is a different beast, but still.  In Fire Emblem I would've liked a setting between normal and hard, but ended up settling on (depending on version) normal with permadeath or hard with character resurrections.  The default setting on Banner Saga was brutal from the off, but dropping it to easy turned the whole thing into a cakewalk only worth playing for the story & choices.  I ditched XCOM2 because of the load times, but that struck me as extremely hard too.

I'm probably a just below average player when it comes to these types of strategy game.
  • Just stick it on Easy and don’t worry about progression, it’s virtually non-existent beyond your own improvement. I’ve lost runs with fully upgraded pilots and won runs without them.
  • JonB wrote:
    Both this time and the other time I got close was with the Zenith Guard. Definitely seem to have the best balance of damage, defence and shifting enemies around.

I don't really get these mechs, care to explain their benefits please?  It seems to be a heavy hitter, a heavy hitter's assistant/building goalkeeper, then a kamikaze unit that becomes useless after it's doled out two sets of damage (three health units, every hit depletes its own health). 

I'm messing around on easy now.  Does what it says on the tin, so I've got a decision to make in the next couple of days.
  • I found Rusting Hulks easiest to use.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Both this time and the other time I got close was with the Zenith Guard. Definitely seem to have the best balance of damage, defence and shifting enemies around.
    I don't really get these mechs, care to explain their benefits please?  It seems to be a heavy hitter, a heavy hitter's assistant/building goalkeeper, then a kamikaze unit that becomes useless after it's doled out two sets of damage (three health units, every hit depletes its own health).
    Your science mech can shield the ramming unit as well. Plus pull things into holes for instant kills IIRC.

A health upgrade on the rammer is still priority though. It becomes much more useful after that.
  • Sometimes you get powers between levels. Each team of mechs is a special set created which has those abilities by default. So you might get a a power that fires in two directions. One of the mech teams has a mech that fires in two directions by default.

Each of the mech teams has a style which nudges a certain type of play - for example an ice team may focus on limiting damage rather than killing vek, while a fire team will create a lot of burning vek.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    JonB wrote:

I'm messing around on easy now.  Does what it says on the tin, so I've got a decision to make in the next couple of days.

Just checking, but you know about the repair button right?
  • I realised shortly after I posted that, I initially thought it was just for units on fire etc.
  • 95 hours in and finally beat it on hard with rusting hulks. Biggest helping strategies were the smoke bomb (5 tiles with smoke) and movement upgrades. In the end got to the final move of the last map and had 1 bar of grid left. I had to place my pilot between the vek boss and the pylons, since I couldnt smoke it. And I had to hope that the other vek didnt do damage either.

Squeaky bum time but it worked.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Running through easy gives you a good idea of the basics. You'll encounter the odd tricky bit but it allows you to understand what works quicker than normal.
    SFV - reddave360
  • There's a repair button!?
  • There's a repair button!?

Yes. You can also move the mechs around the grid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s a move button!?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's a repair button!?

Your mechs would have to take some damage for you to notice it Tigro.
  • I've settled on Easy difficulty, thanks Tempy.  It's not a guaranteed win by any means, and I'd rather play this for 10-15hrs and move on to something else than sink days into it.  Glad it's catering for that approach as it's an excellent game.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've settled on Easy difficulty, thanks Tempy.  It's not a guaranteed win by any means, and I'd rather play this for 10-15hrs and move on to something else than sink days into it.  Glad it's catering for that approach as it's an excellent game.

Once you have gotten comfy on easy do give it a try on normal. You appreciate it just a bit more.

SFV - reddave360
  • Some of the better game design is lost on easy mode.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I bet you're both right.  I'll see how it goes, but I'm happy for now.
  • Don’t let them bully you
  • Easy difficulty and Rusting Hulks ftw.
  • Moan: I just accidentally donated my main range weapon after blitzing two islands and upgrading pretty well. Most annoying moment so far and I can't fathom why I did it.
  • I've got 6 medals now, I doubt I'll switch to another team now that I'm used to the rusting hulks, but any tips from the rest? I've already got the zenith guard.
  • Easy seems to be the right call btw, I haven't come close to finishing this yet.
  • The Zenith Guard were the first ones I finished it with and I found it easier with them.

I've since done it with a couple of other teams but can't remember their names. One that involved a lot of pushing and pulling enemies around was fun.
  • I'll give them another go. Really didn't get on with having (what felt like) only one real damage unit but it was pretty early days when I tried so I didn't really get the upgrades thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!