The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • I watched the stream repeat. I imagine that's been ripped and upped somewhere.
  • Olimite wrote:
    @moot, is this your sort of thing? Stumbled upon it yesterday. https://open.spotify.com/track/1YHcldMQte5JOWneD0Rd6A?si=IgqDYLMTSVaJGxmuZhA4Fw

I've got a couple of his old albums, both had a couple of tracks that were very good.  Not heard him for years, so I'll stick this on now, ta.
  • Oh, it's just one track.  Very much so though, RE: keenness.  It's less skifflejangle than his earlier stuff but I liked it a lot.  

These are the two that stood out from a while ago:

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Cool. Glad you like.
  • Some music I've been enjoying lately:

FKA twigs - LP1

RkWxR0w.jpg

FKA twigs has one of the best sounds right now. I love Video Girl and Lights On.

FKA twigs - M3LL155X

Judm3NI.png

Just finished listening to this now. Again, great sound and I particularly enjoy the closing Mothercreep.

The Weeknd - My Dear Melancholy,

fzFj6K5.jpg

His best work since 2013's Kiss Land, and in my opinion as urgent and compelling a work of Noir R&B as has ever been recorded. Personal, staggering production and performance, with an emotional wallop that floors me. Try Me might just be the best song he's ever recorded. What a chorus! Check out that sneaky synth that comes in on the final chorus.

Tinashe - Joyride

vmGCXom.jpg

Tinashe is one of the most impressive new R&B stars, and this album follows up very nicely on her last two LPs. Top tier production throughout. Check out Me So Bad.

Kelela - Take Me Apart

jhtCQ2W.jpg

One of my favourite albums of last year. Kelela may just be the best new R&B talent since The Weeknd. Has something of Janet in her vocals. Sublime production, writing and performance. Onandon is a favourite.

Drake - Nice For What (single)

gBEZJSS.jpg

A devastating production, that nearly cuts the flesh, so hard and driving is it. Drake's trademark singing rapping style is as potent as ever. Great hook/sample. Very excited for the new album coming in June.

George Michael - Older

VCmenz6.jpg

My favourite George Michael album by far. A real masterpiece of atmosphere and introspection. The title track is amazing, as are Fast Love and Star People.

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1

uQigtVm.jpg

A similar project to Mark Ronson's last one, lining up an A list collaborators and working in a production environment that is at the front of the game. Feels featuring Pharrell is the top track here, but I also love Nuh Ready Nuh Ready featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR, who sings in a beautiful Jamaican patois. This was released as a single and is unfortunately not on the album.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • HE'S BACK
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Awesome to have you back Muggs. Will definitely check some of them out.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Muggins so best. Welcome back Paul.
  • Glad to be here. Back for some Music Chat goodness.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Listening to this at the moment.

Jhene Aiko - Trip

7pO40hN.png

Decent but no fireworks really, except Sativa.

I do however prefer it to her first album. Some cool stuff going on, even while it is a bit too dreary for my tastes.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Notes of Yello with a R.S.F. aroma

Batshit  - Sofi Tukker

Oh...yeah.

Video
    Spoiler:
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I really shouldn't but I do like that Calvin Harris x Dua Lipa tune.

Also I'm in love with Dua Lipa ok bye x
  • Listening to this now:

6lack - Free 6lack

4z22Tgy.jpg

Nice sound so far. So glad we're into a time where one doesn't have to choose whether to be a rapper or an R&B guy. Both at the same time is my favourite musical development of recent times.
  • This is lovely.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Record store Day pick ups (thanks to my wife) were the Twin Peaks double vinyl soundtrack (not score) and Prince single vinyl of 1999
  • I AM THE FBI
  • Listening to this now, one of the new UK Afrobeat artists, which is set to become one of the hottest things in music. It's basically Dancehall but with a UK flavour. Love it. Bouff Daddy is an hilarious and killer track.

J Hus - Common Sense

VDVRNxc.jpg
  • Listened to this last night. Overall quite good. Nice sound, some top melodies.

H.E.R

msitbnq.jpg
  • There's a J Hus track which really reminded me of a Jay-Z style track... But can't remember the name
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I definitely hear some Jay-Z influence for sure.
  • Now listening to:

Wiz Khalifa - Laugh Now, Fly Later

Ho86asW.jpg

I am a pretty big fan of Wiz Khalifa. Loved ONIFC and while this is technically a mixtape, it has a lot of the same flavour.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The vinyl is on in the house.

• What's the tracklist like Reg? I loved Shadow by Chromatics in the first episode.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's on there. It's not fully complete, because it doesn't have both chromatics / au revoir Simone songs but it has pretty much everything else, even Viva last Vegas and green onions.
  • Nice.
  • If anyone can find the Beyonce set from Coachella, I would love to see it. I guess it's a copyright issue that they don't just post them on their Youtube? Is it cheaper to stream it live or something? Anyway, I really enjoyed The Weeknd's set, which I got up early to watch. I am surprised and impressed by the quality of his Starboy tracks, and it was wonderful to hear almost all of My Dear Melancholy, live. He has grown into a really good performer. Amazing charisma and presence. Here is my review and set-list, if you're interested!
  • Thanks!
  • Now listening to:

Alela Diane - Cusp

h8OzzKD.jpg

I have been a big fan of Alela Diane, and actually interviewed her in 2014. She's a lovely woman, and very talented. I am really enjoying the sound of this album, so far.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!