The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • trippy wrote:
    Liking your input in this thread by the way, your albums of the years are half my favourites and half I've not heard or never given a fair listen to.
    Thanks! I would be interested to see your favourites list.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Here's a fun game. Select your favourite albums from every year you've been alive.

Some quality there like, might have to pay more attention to some of your recommendations!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • In other news Kanye West seems to be going full hotep or summat. It's rather sad.
  • Is it different from all the other times? I always pictured him as a Lou Reed style contrarian, just saying stupid shit to get people riled up.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I dunno, the manic quality seems more pronounced than ever.
  • 1981 Almost Blue - Elvis Costello
    1982 Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
    1983 Swordfishtrombones - Tom Waits
    1984 Ride the Lightning - Metallica
    1985 Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
    1986 Guitar Town - Steve Earle
    1987 Appetite for Destruction - Guns 'n Roses
    1988 Follow the Leader - Erik B & Rakim
    1989 Doolittle - The Pixies
    1990 Frizzle Fry - Primus
    1991 Ten - Pearl Jam
    1992 Don't Sweat the Technique - Erik B & Rakim
    1993 God Shuffled His Feet - Crash Test Dummies
    1994 MTV Unplugged - Nirvana
    1995 Wrecking Ball - Emmylou Harris
    1996 If You're Feeling Sinister - Belle & Sebastian
    1997 OK Computer - Radiohead
    1998 Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams
    1999 Endtrouducing... - DJ Shadow
    2000 O Brother Where Art Thou (soundtrack)
    2001 Love & Theft - Bob Dylan
    2002 Original Pirate Material - The Streets
    2003 Decoration Day - Driveby Truckers
    2004 Trouble in Mind - Hayes Carll
    2005 Separation Sunday - The Hold Steady
    2006 Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - The Arctic Monkeys
    2007 The Stage Names - Okkervil River
    2008 Just Us Kids - James McMurtry
    2009 The Hazards of Love - The Decemberists
    2010 I Speak Because I Can - Laura Marling
    2011 Queen of the Minor Key - Eilen Jewell/Indestructible Machine - Lydia Loveless
    2012 The Grifter's Hymnal - Ray Wylie Hubbard
    2013 Southeastern - Jason Isbell
    2014 Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - Sturgill Simpson
    2015 Complicated Game - James McMurtry
    2016 A Sailor's Guide to Earth - Sturgill Simpson
    2017 Colter Wall - Colter Wall
    2018 Tree of Forgiveness - John Prine

I'll probably fiddle with that a fair bit tomorrow, but I've spent too long on it to possibly lose it by not posting now.
  • Fucking hell. More hugs for Muggins. Owning this thread.

TGE is a great shout btw. *high five*
  • Feel like I'll get lynched if I post my feelings on The Weeknd in here now. Jeez.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I didn't know MJ was confirmed bad person
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Feel like I'll get lynched if I post my feelings on The Weeknd in here now. Jeez.
    Do it Gav, I will support your right to an informed opinion

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Ach I dunno, any criticism I level can be tweaked and reapplied to select r'n'b crooners and singers of the motown/disco/80s/90s eras and I completely get it, trust me, I do. But I just find him and his brand of Trap Pop extremely generic and bland and without any real meaning to it. Its usually a song about a girl. But wait! Is she a Good Girl or a Bad Girl? Wowee, let's find out. But either way, she definitely Wants It. Cos he's a Bad Boy, but also can be a Good Boy when he wants. Repeat ad infinitum.

The Daft Punk beats were better to get ya foot a'tapping but that's about it.

Truly understand why people like him, and by all means, go do ya thing. But it's not for me at all and I can't see why he's held up as this artiste when he's as manufactured and marketed as calculatingly as a Meghan Trainor, or a Liam Payne.

Again, different horses etc etc.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I didn't know MJ was confirmed bad person

Yeah, while I'm generally smoke = fire in #metoo land, have read enough specifically on MJ to lean towards his side.

Kells is a talented perv. Struggle seperating art and person because of the subject of his art.

I would not watch polanskis take on lolita either.

See also woody. I lean strongly towards him being an asshole. And thats a problem for his art. Given his casting decisions.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Went to see the Manics with H.

Exceptional live as always. JDB will surely go down in history as one of those underrated work horse types who never aged a day vocally. Every chorus is still massive, every guitar lick is still crisp and full of energy.

We got treats too: Masses Against the Classes, and a little acoustic interlude of Sleepflower, Faster, and Kevin Carter. 

Excellent stuff.
  • Nice.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Is it different from all the other times? I always pictured him as a Lou Reed style contrarian, just saying stupid shit to get people riled up.
    Brooks wrote:
    I dunno, the manic quality seems more pronounced than ever.

I think the thing for me is - wtf has happened to him over the last few years, personally? Why does he not seem to care about black people and their situation? If he did then he wouldn't be siding with Trump and known alt-right people. People who are demonstrably racist. Even on Yeezus he is rapping about racism/black people's plight - "they wasn't satisfied unless I picked the cotton myself" - and shit he even sampled Strange Fruit.

I dunno, I guess I just hoped for more from him, when you look back on his first few albums. Sonically he has evolved but it seems he is regressing in terms of social awareness. If he's doing it for attention then that's just sad. He'd get far more positive attention coming out and saying "Trump doesn't care about black people" like he did with Bush.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Going to be getting some writing done today over a few beers and a listen to my favourite playlist, the rather wonderful The Songs That Will Make You Human, which I have worked on consistently for the last many years. R&B, Soul, Funk, Rap with a smattering of Pop, Rock N Roll and Jazz. Put it on shuffle and enjoy!
  • MattyJ wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Is it different from all the other times? I always pictured him as a Lou Reed style contrarian, just saying stupid shit to get people riled up.
    Brooks wrote:
    I think the thing for me is - wtf has happened to him over the last few years, personally? Why does he not seem to care about black people and their situation? If he did then he wouldn't be siding with Trump and known alt-right people. People who are demonstrably racist. Even on Yeezus he is rapping about racism/black people's plight - "they wasn't satisfied unless I picked the cotton myself" - and shit he even sampled Strange Fruit. I dunno, I guess I just hoped for more from him, when you look back on his first few albums. Sonically he has evolved but it seems he is regressing in terms of social awareness. If he's doing it for attention then that's just sad. He'd get far more positive attention coming out and saying "Trump doesn't care about black people" like he did with Bush.
    I don't know Matty, it doesn't really bother me because I don't really want or need Kanye to be an upstanding, socially aware, moral person. I think it's a mistake to get into the "voice of our generation" thing. Dylan went weird in the late 70s and early 80s with telling people to be Christian, but the music he recorded was still good. As long as Kanye keeps doing records like Yeezus, I'll be a fan of his work.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    1981 Almost Blue - Elvis Costello 1982 Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen 1983 Swordfishtrombones - Tom Waits 1984 Ride the Lightning - Metallica 1985 Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits 1986 Guitar Town - Steve Earle 1987 Appetite for Destruction - Guns 'n Roses 1988 Follow the Leader - Erik B & Rakim 1989 Doolittle - The Pixies 1990 Frizzle Fry - Primus 1991 Ten - Pearl Jam 1992 Don't Sweat the Technique - Erik B & Rakim 1993 God Shuffled His Feet - Crash Test Dummies 1994 MTV Unplugged - Nirvana 1995 Wrecking Ball - Emmylou Harris 1996 If You're Feeling Sinister - Belle & Sebastian 1997 OK Computer - Radiohead 1998 Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams 1999 Endtrouducing... - DJ Shadow 2000 O Brother Where Art Thou (soundtrack) 2001 Love & Theft - Bob Dylan 2002 Original Pirate Material - The Streets 2003 Decoration Day - Driveby Truckers 2004 Trouble in Mind - Hayes Carll 2005 Separation Sunday - The Hold Steady 2006 Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - The Arctic Monkeys 2007 The Stage Names - Okkervil River 2008 Just Us Kids - James McMurtry 2009 The Hazards of Love - The Decemberists 2010 I Speak Because I Can - Laura Marling 2011 Queen of the Minor Key - Eilen Jewell/Indestructible Machine - Lydia Loveless 2012 The Grifter's Hymnal - Ray Wylie Hubbard 2013 Southeastern - Jason Isbell 2014 Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - Sturgill Simpson 2015 Complicated Game - James McMurtry 2016 A Sailor's Guide to Earth - Sturgill Simpson 2017 Colter Wall - Colter Wall 2018 Tree of Forgiveness - John Prine I'll probably fiddle with that a fair bit tomorrow, but I've spent too long on it to possibly lose it by not posting now.
    Some great stuff here and quite a few that I've never heard. Will check them out!
  • Top 5 albums from that lot for me would probably be Nebraska, Car Wheels, Separation Sunday, Hazards of Love and Southeastern.
  • Cool, will try to listen today. Haven't heard any of those, except for Nebraska.
  • If I'd been alive in 1973 Sweet Revenge would be on the list because it's the definitive, final final answer GOAT.  Ignore everything else and listen to that if you don't know it.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    I think the thing for me is - wtf has happened to him over the last few years, personally? Why does he not seem to care about black people and their situation? If he did then he wouldn't be siding with Trump and known alt-right people. People who are demonstrably racist. Even on Yeezus he is rapping about racism/black people's plight - "they wasn't satisfied unless I picked the cotton myself" - and shit he even sampled Strange Fruit. I dunno, I guess I just hoped for more from him, when you look back on his first few albums. Sonically he has evolved but it seems he is regressing in terms of social awareness. If he's doing it for attention then that's just sad. He'd get far more positive attention coming out and saying "Trump doesn't care about black people" like he did with Bush.
    I don't know Matty, it doesn't really bother me because I don't really want or need Kanye to be an upstanding, socially aware, moral person. I think it's a mistake to get into the "voice of our generation" thing. Dylan went weird in the late 70s and early 80s with telling people to be Christian, but the music he recorded was still good. As long as Kanye keeps doing records like Yeezus, I'll be a fan of his work.

I know what you mean but at the same time it's like.... c'mon man. If he made a record saying how black people should get behind Trump and that Trump is a great president, would you be alright with that? I know it would turn me off.
  • I think the fashion industry broke his mind tbh. Being around all them status-anxious plutes and their handpeople. Fashion is the only creative scene you ever see Tories really keen on, for it is pure Mammon.
  • I suppose it depends how good the track is. There's plenty I listen to which I don't relate to, or agree with - I mean Rap is full of serious bullshit about women and gay people - but if the track itself is quality, I take what I need and leave the rest. It wouldn't be a *positive* if he did one for Trump certainly, but if the work was of a high quality like Yeezus, it wouldn't stop me from liking it.
  • I mean did it bother you that he referenced fisting a woman on Yeezus? It kind of did for me, but the song was so damn good that I kind of ignored it.
  • It would be an interesting conundrum. Typically, right wing characters make really shit art.
  • On another topic, Brooks have you heard much Mtume? Really good 80s R&B. You probably know Juicy Fruit, but their albums are really great. Got into them off of a recommendation some years back from Dam Funk on Twitter. I think you'd like them quite a bit, and that goes to the rest of you also.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    I mean did it bother you that he referenced fisting a woman on Yeezus? It kind of did for me, but the song was so damn good that I kind of ignored it.

I thought the line was funny as fuck to be honest. Fisting is something we can all enjoy if they enjoy it :)
  • Yeah only Juicy Fruit. Couldn't hurt to check based on that classic.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I mean did it bother you that he referenced fisting a woman on Yeezus? It kind of did for me, but the song was so damn good that I kind of ignored it.
    I thought the line was funny as fuck to be honest. Fisting is something we can all enjoy if they enjoy it :)

Agreed, this was crass but not actually troubling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!