The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Watching the Detectives is my favourite Costello song.

I also always wonder how on earth he got involved with two and a half men enough to want to be in it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I like that song quite a bit. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea is probably my favourite. New Amsterdam is up there too.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    I like that song quite a bit. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea is probably my favourite. New Amsterdam is up there too.

I don’t want to go to Chelsea is my second favourite in fact on the great hits I own that one two is so powerful it doesn’t really recover although Oliver’s army comes close
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've always found Elvis Costello massively irritating. I can't stand his voice and his music just seems so bland. I've never understood his popularity.
  • Kow wrote:
    I've always found Elvis Costello massively irritating. I can't stand his voice and his music just seems so bland. I've never understood his popularity.

Listen to watching the detectives I guarantee you’ll like it and if not I’ll refund you double the difference
    The Forum Herald™
  • An ex of mines was bought a ticket to see him while we were together by the guy she ended up with mere days after we split, so I hate the cunt. All three of them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I don't like that song at all.
  • Try some wd40 in the lug hole Kow

Gav - ah well there’s a whole discussion of gigs that we’ve missed or split up for - I had tickets to Stephen fretwell and roger waters the wall and didn’t get to go.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Posted because young Kim Wilde is hot.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    yes she is, I#m pretty sure older Kim is also hot
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Stuff I've been listening to recently...

Firstly the new Porridge Radio album's great. It's been out for a bit now, but it's still getting regularly aired in my household.  Lyrically it's not complicated, but it's often honest were others would simply be trite - the power being in the delivery.  Take the opening track's repeated refrain of "Thank you for leaving me, thank you for making me making me happy" which goes from joyful reclamation to deranged desperation without changing a word.  Or "Sweet's" insistence that you'll like her when you meet her, which feels somewhere between, promise, threat and wishful thinking.  Sonically it is, in places, gloriously loud, but again it knows how to play with sound, luring you in, then submerging you in noise, before gently easing off and threatening to venture into shoe gaze territory in places. It's a great record - I notice they're getting a fair bit of radio play suddenly, and they deserve it...

Next up's the new Waxahatchee album.  If you've heard them before, I'd say there are no great surprises here, but it's easily their best record since Cerulean Salt.  This is her first record since getting sober, which by all accounts has been a struggle. It was worth it - a nigh perfect bit of folk americana...

Meanwhile Laura Marling's got a new album out as well - dropped with little ceremony, released early because of The Time In Which We're Living.  I find I tend to either love her records or bounce off them - but this is firmly in the former category.  It's a weird one - feels much more commercial than a lot of her previous work, but it's also pretty stripped back, often featuring little more than a guitar or piano and her voice. There are nods to Dylan and Joni Mitchell, and an explicit reference to Leonard Cohen with Alexandra, but it remains its own thing - picking up her recurring themes of womanhood and distilling them into something beautiful.

Finally there's the latest Malkmus album, "Traditional Techniques".  He seems to have been enjoying himself lately, each of his most recent albums being clearly distinct from the last. This features everything from sitar driven jamming on ACC Kirtan, to a pretty great Velvet Undergorund homage in Xian Man.  There's a general air of psychedelia (partly due to the production from The Decemberists' Chris Funk), whilst still being pretty clearly a Malkmus joint...

• The strokes new album is getting a bit of a kick in
    The Forum Herald™
  • I've not been up to date with Laura Marling for years, was very keen on the first two but didn't gel with the next couple and hopped off the train. Once I Was An Eagle was one of releases I bounced off, but I listened to it multiple times last month and I dunno now, it might be even better than the records I loved. Might be a good time to go back in.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've not been up to date with Laura Marling for years, was very keen on the first two but didn't gel with the next couple and hopped off the train. Once I Was An Eagle was one of releases I bounced off, but I listened to it multiple times last month and I dunno now, it might be even better than the records I loved. Might be a good time to go back in.

Me too but pitchfork like the new one

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/laura-marling-song-for-our-daughter/
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've not been up to date with Laura Marling for years, was very keen on the first two but didn't gel with the next couple and hopped off the train. Once I Was An Eagle was one of releases I bounced off, but I listened to it multiple times last month and I dunno now, it might be even better than the records I loved. Might be a good time to go back in.

For what it’s worth I think I probably rate Once I was an Eagle as her best - particularly the first four tracks, but then I’m a strange one.  The new record’s less intense, and lighter, despite the stripped back approach. Certainly an easier one to get into, though it’s too early to say whether it will linger. There are moments where it threatens to get a little bit too Radio 2, but even then it has an emotional honesty that rises above it.  Definitely worth a listen.
  • Eagle was when she seemed to go full Joni, maybe I thought she was trying to flex a bit too much too early. I was wrong though, it was a ridiculous reason to lose interest and a great album, it just took me seven years to realise.
  • I speak because I can is her best

I’m listening to her on shuffle though on amazon music and it’s a ridiculously high quality - I’ll let her off for Mumford
    The Forum Herald™
  • Was a similar thing with Bat for Lashes for me. Obsessed with a couple of tracks on a promising first album, excellent follow-up, then I started chasing a different balloon. Same story with Joanna Newsom now that I've mentioned balloons (not like that), but I blame the unnecessary triple album there.
  • Change of tone but limp bizkit’s chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavoured water has stood the test of time
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Another change of tone, but hey why not

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaham that took me a moment, so double hahahaaa
  • Bob wrote:
    Change of tone but limp bizkit’s chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavoured water has stood the test of time

As in it was shit then and it’s still shit now? Sure, I can get on board with that.
  • poprock wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Change of tone but limp bizkit’s chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavoured water has stood the test of time

As in it was shit then and it’s still shit now? Sure, I can get on board with that.

Yeah but it’s the good shit
    The Forum Herald™
  • Not gonna lie I fucking love(d) it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    THIS ONE GOES OUT TO BEN STILLER YOU MY FAVOURITE MOTHER FUCKER
  • The only thing that dates it Reg
    The Forum Herald™
  • If I was offered a ticket to Limp Bizkit or say, The Who, I'd be goin str8 to the matthews bridge every damn time, and I'd have a blast. Break Stuff would be worth it alone.
  • I'd keep my pants saggy, and I'd keep a spray can for the taggin'.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    The only thing that dates it Reg
    That and the weird flex of parodying Nine Inch Nails songs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!