The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Borland is a surprisingly good guitarist given the shite he had to work with.
  • If I was offered a ticket to Limp Bizkit or say, The Who, I'd be goin str8 to the matthews bridge every damn time, and I'd have a blast. Break Stuff would be worth it alone.

The Who played in a field behind my house. Still didn’t bother.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The who are pretty unfuckwithably good. Come on.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The good bits are dead though.
  • Oof. Wait, is the bass player gone too?

Also, bit harsh on the whole crew at peak.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, Entwhistle died years ago now. Great in their day (60s), wouldn't cross the road to see what's left of them.
  • Well, massive pass for not still being great. I file them next to all the great 60s/70s UK groups. Listen and be thankful for the peak, if they manage something halfway good any time after, congrats, but they can happily pootle about with their cash and have earned it.

See also, led zep, Beatles, Queen and the half a dozen other bands from that era I'm forgetting.

Not everyone can do a Bowie.
  • Good songs by bands that arguably should've packed it in years ago? There must be plenty, what's left of the old guard still churn out albums. Big fan of Don't Stop by The Rolling Stones (2002), was a good attempt at an old style Stones track.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Robert Plant has done some great stuff since Zep folded. Raising Sand is a fantastic album. I'd still go to see the Stones if I had the chance. All those brands have earned their cash but I'll only listen to recent stuff if they do something decent, which is rare. They can do the nostalgia tours but I have no interest.
  • Raising Sand is great, I was thinking more bands that have kept on going as a unit (or reformed) long after their respective heydays, rather than solo/collaboration stuff.
  • Here's the Stones track as I'm listening now.  Would easily make the cut for a single cd Best Of if curated by me, love that simple riff and opening verse. 

• Kow wrote:
    Robert Plant has done some great stuff since Zep folded. Raising Sand is a fantastic album. I'd still go to see the Stones if I had the chance. All those brands have earned their cash but I'll only listen to recent stuff if they do something decent, which is rare. They can do the nostalgia tours but I have no interest.

And plant must have turned down loads of cash to reform
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They couldn't really call it Zeppelin without Bonham anyway. It'd be like Paul and Ringo getting together and calling it The Beatles. Or Cream without Ginger Baker.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Raising Sand is great, I was thinking more bands that have kept on going as a unit (or reformed) long after their respective heydays, rather than solo/collaboration stuff.

I think the Stones are some kind of weird exception to everything. There can't be many rock n roll bands that have kept plugging away that still maintain some shred of credibility.
  • How I laugh to think that I paid to see The Stones just over thirty years ago, because I was worried they'd retire soon and I'd miss my chance :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A couple of friends of mine went to see them play a small rehearsal gig in Dublin a few years ago, just to say they had seen them. They weren't expecting much but they said the band blew the roof off the place, couldn't believe it.
  • Kow wrote:
    They couldn't really call it Zeppelin without Bonham anyway. It'd be like Paul and Ringo getting together and calling it The Beatles. Or Cream without Ginger Baker.
    Or the who with just Daltery and the other one ?

Course they could you really only need the lead singer and guitarist

Look at guns
    N roses
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow wrote:
    A couple of friends of mine went to see them play a small rehearsal gig in Dublin a few years ago, just to say they had seen them. They weren't expecting much but they said the band blew the roof off the place, couldn't believe it.
    Aye, I'd much rather have seen them in a small club, because much as they pretty much defined the stadium show, their music doesn't really translate to that sort of venue.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Or the who with just Daltery and the other one ? Course they could you really only need the lead singer and guitarist Look at guns N roses

Ah, sure they don't even need the guitarist really.
  • Led Zeppelin have reformed several times with Bonhams son on drums for various one off gigs.
  • There gotta be a few quid in a full reunion tour
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They've only labelled themselves Zeppelin a couple of times though. They don't want to go full reunion, they know they can't. His son is a shadow of the drummer Bonham was anyway, they've needed two drummers at once to fill his shoes. I wouldn't go to see them either, despite Zep being possibly my number one band of all time.
  • I’d pay for a full five star reunion
    The Forum Herald™
  • I guess Zeppelin have been canny with the back catalogue and never really needed the cash. Endless re-masters, box sets and live albums. Big cash cow. 
    What complicates things is that Robert Plant sold his share of the rights to the original Zep back catalogue back in the early 80's, a decision I dare say he's lived to regret, but it's unclear if he gets royalties for any of the legacy stuff they've released since then (of which their is a fucktonne).
    Still, he's had a successful solo career, so he's never exactly been strapped for cash.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't know he sold the rights. Bet he feels a bit of a dick now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say the royalties for radio plays of Stairway to Heaven alone would be a sizeable income.
  • Who needs a reuinion anyway.  Glastonbudget is probably the only festival I'd consider attending these days. 

• Kow wrote:
    I'd say the royalties for radio plays of Stairway to Heaven alone would be a sizeable income.
    Well, details of the deal are impossible to ascertain, as is who he sold his rights to, and it was a complicated affair. It might actually mean he doesn't receive royalties from physical sales of the ten original Zep albums, but what is known is that he still retains his portion of creative control on how the catalogue is used. It probably made sense at the time, but yeah, if he'd had a crystal ball he obviously wouldn't have been so quick to sell.
    Zep are no mugs though. That one time they reformed in 2007 for the big show in London, well that happened to coincide with their entire catalogue being made available digitally for the first time. Now digital rights wouldn't even have existed when Plant sold up, so that probably opened an entirely new can of worms.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Either way he's not short of a few quid. I'm not sure the rights for music are the same as getting royalties. No idea what the rights to a song allow you to do with it. And there's a whole thing of band royalties and songwriter royalties, sales royalties and airplay royalties etc. Can of worms is right.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!