Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Oh, even easier.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • So yeah, the probability of getting particular cards is worth thinking about.

The simplest calc you can almost guess.

If you really need 1 card, and your deck is 15, Nd you draw 5, that's 33% chance of getting it. And/or, 3 draws before you will have definitely seen it once.

If your deck is 25, that drops to 20% or 5 draws before you'll have definitely seen it.

If we're talking a power card or something that makes your other cards work better, you don't want to wait 5 draws before seeing it.
  • Going the other way: if you're building a poison build and you've got 3 basic poison cards, like poison strike or poison. 15 hand gives you a 60% chance. (and that doesn't factor in the 7 draw on first turn.)
  • I'm late to the discussion but if I were removing cards in a shop I'd almost always remove strikes over defends every time. Strikes become less and less useful over the course of a run as you find better damage options quite easily.

A block card will always mitigate damage for you and although defend is basic, the turns where you need block cards make it irrelevant that you have that strike card in your hand that would be a defend if you hadn't removed it.

Tl:dr doing 6 damage to an enemy not as important as saving 5 damage to your character so I prefer to remove strikes not defends in a shop.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Fair. I do tend to remove strikes first in my first shop, but with Nina's deck having 2 extra bock cards, particularly leg sweep, you can end up with not enough ways to actually damage enemies.

(I've done it a few times, especially with defect (all manner of orbs and energy, and block, but no raw damage.))
  • Yeah deffo with Defect I've run out of gas and just had too many ice orbs to end a fight with multiple enemies before they do the big damage turns.

But I feel that's a problem that affects Defect due to his damage often coming from cycling lightning and dark orbs more than IC and Silent. Especially with Silent as poison and caltrops can offset a defence heavy deck quite a lot (assuming the poison and caltrops aren't buried at the bottom of the deck).
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Frantic or Tempy can probably give me the proper nerd maths calculations on the difference in % chance of cards appearing depending on deck size.

Not me, maths isn't my strong point.

Need to play this more, just been so busy.

I haven't had a victory yet but I'm reaching the act 3 boss more or less every other run. No idea how far that is though.

Thought I'd beat it last time I played but a super cheap stunt by it put a stop to that.
    Sounds like you’re doing pretty well if you reach the act 3 boss a lot.

Interesting stuff on this page about removing strikes vs defends. I was pretty good at removing on pc but completely forgot about it while starting again on Switch. Need to be more effective.

(and you weren't late to the discussion Rouj, I completed the run already when posting and thought it was a pretty interesting situation early on in the game. Was just looking how other people's brains would have reacted in that situation)
  • I’ve only ever removed curses. This could be a revelation.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I’ve only ever removed curses. This could be a revelation.

Strikes are generally shit second and third floor as there's far better cards out there that do better damage for equal energy cost. Block is always useful
  • Removing at low levels is almost always ideal, but as you climb the ascensions it gets harder to decide what to do. The damage/block Strike and Defend do are a good baseline to measure other cards off, and some times you want the accessible as options to proc other cards and relics off.

FWIW it’s worth, I disagree with face about removing a block that early on, especially as Silent, where mitigation is the order of the day and you’re looking for poison/caltrops for damage.

Dagger Spray is big utility for Silent on the early floors (Sentinels, gremlin mob, Slime Boss) and on later floors too. Deadly Poison is good too, especially against, Lagavulin, transforming boss and hexaghost. Choke is rarely worth it that early on.
  • Yay I have internet again so back on this in earnest. Much catching up to do so I played SAC5 and absolutely nailed it. I've never had a deck so strong going into the third act and I only took a single card on act 3. It was a total poison demolition and I was chasing elites from act 2. Think I took one single point in damage in the final act

YK0Sb0F.jpg
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I got to act 3 boss via a portal. It had 2 phases?! Dammit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fine, remove a strike. ;)

(TBF, watching what I've been doing while this discussion is going on, reckon I've removed 5 straight strikes at the start of runs. I only Said block as she had those other cards, and I like deck balance with attack and defend.)

Either way, card removal is amazing.

• I sometimes opt for remove two cards take 21 damage at the very start. It's always an interesting run.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Madly addicted to this yet again. Pure lightning badmans

JwCCjEF.png
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I got to act 3 boss via a portal. It had 2 phases?! Dammit.

If it makes you feel better, that's not because of the portal. They all have 2 phases in one way or another.

I thought I had a solid hand last night, went portal.

I did not have a solid hand.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    that 0fps its a system killa
  • With Silent your damage comes from sticking around with block IMO. Plus you have no healing, so taking less damage is important.
  • Madly addicted to this yet again. Pure lightning badmans

JwCCjEF.png

This reminds me of a couple of things.

Note ds only has 7 starter cards in a deck of 24.

He also has a bunch of exhaust cards.

Add to that the power cards, which also exhaust and once he's knocked them all out, he's generating lightning left and right, with extra energy because of Icecream, and then slamming bosses with thunder strike. Which would be coming up lots because once few of those powers and exhausts are gone, he has a deck of 11 cards.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I killed the final boss (Awakened One) with Thunderstrike, which hit for 7 x 26dmg as an example. Literally half the health bar in one card.
  • Catalyst+ and Apparition are great. I hade 4 Catalyst+, which turns a modest 5 poison into 540 while you set back and relax with the Apparitions.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fucking love me a Catalyst+. Don't think I've unlocked it on this new save yet.
  • Awakened One is last boss? That’s the wolfrat thing that I had. 

Think I’m building a decent deck now but I gotta go bed. :(
  • He's one of them, for there are three, but they're not the LAST boss. That comes later.
  • This heart thing you lot been talking about?
  • It's difficult to understand the structure of the game when you're starting out, although it's fairly simple. It's more that it's such a complex game that you'll be asked to do the same thing multiple times with slightly different handicaps. I suppose it's like saying I beat chess once by getting to checkmate. The learning comes after you've won.
  • This game is so so so fucking good. Thanks to whomever it was that told me I was wrong and to try again when I wasn’t feeling it, though that might have been all of you.

Really enjoying defect again after a long absence.

Yes this game is absolutely ace, and no it doesn’t need fancy graphics/presentation, but I can’t help imagining how outrageous it would be to play something like this made with a huge budget.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I’m now tracking across Steam and Switch so will be heading to 320+ hours soon.

@elf the heart...
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Also loving the fact that nearly everyone who has played this has had that same reaction of its ok to its fucking amazing.

My thanks goes out to @Tempy who was bigging this up or I would never have bought it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!