Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • I’m working from home today. 

The Switch is staring me in the face...

Which reminds me. I actually dropped the Switch on my face last night cos I nodded off while playing (lying on bed on my back, Switch held above face). Trufax
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just have the tiniest of goes.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Oh man, hit an absolute stormer yesterday. Had so many relics it was ridiculous. Fucked up on the last boss though (timekeeper dude). Didn’t keep track of the 12 card thing on my last go and missed out on a victory by the tiniest margin. So annoyed since it was totally my own fault.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Just had an outstanding IC run. Got the unceasing top early on and then the Corruption card to turn all skills to zero. Then got Shuriken and Kunai relics and toke to reduce the deck to zero cards and skills. D&D didn't stand a chance.
  • I'm yet to have a good unceasing top run, event work gazelle!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Need a bit of luck. Without Corruption it would've been just alright, but one I got that and anger it was easy. Toke was pretty essential for cutting out the expensive attack cards.
  • Got a bit frustrated last night. Act 2 boss kicked my arse - even with just 15 or 16 cards with a third attacks and a third blocks or thereabouts (that’s not bad is it?), I was getting most of my block cards when he wasn’t attacking and almost all power up and attacks when he was about to attack. This happened for 2 or 3 turns and fucked me up.
  • That’s a bad way to look at it. Lower card numbers doesn’t automatically mean better deck if the cards aren’t doing what you need them to do. What Class was it? If you had low numbers and weren’t getting the cards you needed it means you didn’t have. a way to cycle through for cards you needed (acrobatics, backflip for silent, shrug it off for ironclad etc) or you didn’t have enough ramping damaging from poison or strength to finish the fight fast enough.

Every boss and every fight challenges your deck in a different way, so it’s a good idea to try to stop thinking about the idea of a one size fits all solution to the game. Small deck is only good with the cards that benefit from it being a small deck, block and attack proportions only matter if you’re doing enough block and damage to win a fight.

For example, the deck I won our weekly challenge with yesterday had 35 cards in, but they were 35 good cards.
  • Ah, not sure if I had Shrug it off. I was Ironclad. So good idea to get that kind of card in the deck at some point early?

Man; I suck big time.
  • Well no, the idea is to pick the best cards for your deck from the choices you are offered. Without a screenshot of your run, it’s hard to see what you had and what choices you made, or what your deck looked like.

There are often times you’ll pass over good cards because they don’t work early on. A good example is Acrobatics as Silent. From Act 2 onwards it’s often an amazing card because it’s very likely you have 4 energy thanks to a relic, so you can spare the energy for the cycling. If you get it in the first half of Act 1 it’s utterly useless because cycling your deck is pointless when you are cycling for cards you likely already have in your hand. Same for relic interaction stuff, there’s very little point taking Well-laid Plans (keep one card in for your next turn, every turn) if you have a Runic Dodecahedron (at the end of your turn, keep your hand) because at that point it’s just redundant and taking up space despite being one of the strongest Silent picks in every other circumstance because of how it lets you hold onto damage mitigation for the turn you need it.

• Also you don’t suck, I still lose a lot and I have at least 160 hours on the game. It’s an impossible game to master, you’re always learning - just keep being open minded and learn.
  • Thanks for the tips. I’ll have to think harder about what I pick up!

Would play right now if I had Switch with me!
  • Chuck a screenshot of your deck up when you get a chance
  • All truth from temps. I should say I've won with bigger decks and I do generally end up around the 25 mark a lot. As he says, it's dependant on the combos you have. If you can get through cards quickly, or get big hands, it's amazing what you can do.

I found learning to love snecko eye an (lol) eye opener.

First time I copped that snake I was like FUUUUUCK, but if you've built the right sort of deck, snecko eye is amazing, because card draw hello and cost of cards in average, hello.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Angelo is great when you've got an expensive deck but it's a little too random for my particular brand of OCD.
  • Just in case anyone thinks I am good at this, I am still scrubbing around on Asc4 with Silent atm, about 10 straight losses.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd say you know it more than me. I still try to figure my way through most of the time. 315 hours now on PC, but already racked up 20 hours on PC while on holiday. That is just a crazy amount of time for me.

I'm running ASC 10, 8, 8 on PC and 3, 2, 2 on Switch.

I think I'm going to focus on IC for a while as spent an age trying to get that great run with Silent.
  • I thought it was 600, but it's 500 hrs for me. And only some of that would be idle while putting Ara to sleep.

Ac13 done for all.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    First go with the Defect on Switch, thought I was doing pretty well but lost to the Collector again. It's the only boss I lost against on Switch I think (now I have only done 2 runs with either IC and Silent, but still).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Collectors can be a bit tricky for Defect if you don’t get Electrodynamics as you are splitting attention between him and his minions. Advantage of Defect is you don’t suffer from his debuffs quite as much if you are fully orbed up. 

Just did Asc 3 with Defect and smashed Time Keeper great range of relics starting with Ice Cream and a load of charge batteries (yes @Roujin !) meant I had tons of energy and loads of block. Etheral Form is my favourite Defect card, alongside a range of other power cards and mummified hand meant I was rarely paying for most cards. Hologram was also a massive help to bring back more block against those big TC hits.
  • I got to the donut and dice boss and was one hit from winning. :(

Was playing with the fire guy and managed to heart a shit tonne of perfect strikes and other strike cards. Was a fun time. It’s a deck where having some donkey cards is necessary.
  • Died on Collector last night using Ironclad. Thought I was doing ok bit looking back at my deck I did make a couple of pickups I shouldn’t have maybe. Pic below. Tips welcome please on deck and route etc.

wRotop8.jpg
  • Okay the folks are gone so tonight I'll stream my attempt at the daily challenge and I'll do my best to explain my decisions as I go.

Stream should be around 20:00, will drop a link in here.

Elf, I think for me the only real cards that aren't doing much in that deck are heavy blade and the blood for blood, primarily because B4B takes a cycle or two to pay off, so it's a dead card tha first couple of times you see it, especially with 3 energy per turn. The other stuff is all okay, I guess you could say that bomb is quite a lot of work if you bought it from a store, unless you have a deck that has enough damage mitigation to let you get it off on the turn you actually draw it.

Cant really comment on the route, you'd like to see more elite fights done on act 1 and 2 but without knowing when you picked up cards and what other options you had it's pretty tough to comment.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Can’t remember card names too well but is heavy blade the one that works off strength too? I regretted picking that up. 

Interesting the B4B and Bomb. Will bear that in mind, thanks!
  • Interestingly, given your comment on battling elites, I incidentally started a run this morning and purposefully went on a route that has elites. I’m learning!
  • Okay cool, the next step is that on floor one you need to make sure you pick up at least one serviceable damage card if you're doing elites as Gremlin Nob and Lagavulin need dealing with quickly before they overpower you. The other elite is the 3 Sentinels and ideally for these you would like an aoe damage card but imho as long as you just concentrate on the left or right hand sentinel first you can get through them with an average regular deck.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Best tip I ever got is Act 1 go for Elites and try not to heal. Lose the run if needs be, get as many Relics and upgrades as you can, just try and get through it.
  • Will be streaming my attempt at the forum challenge run from 20:15 if anyone fancies a look.

http://www.twitch.tv/mm_roujin
  • Some minor bugs on Switch version. Can’t scroll sometimes when checking deck. Sometimes get blank cards showing on screen stuck to the left when they whose across! Minor stuff. Well, the former is a bit annoying

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!