The Outer Worlds - a proper Obsidian RPG.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's not new though where is the innovation
  • Hang on. Is it fun to play?
    Yes.
    Simple
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

Yeah but we were going at borderlands for being a bit shit not being slight in innovation see yaaaaa
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hang on. Is it fun to play?
    Yes.
    Simple

He knows that, he's putting one up reg.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah but we were going at borderlands for being a bit shit not being slight in innovation see yaaaaa

classic reg cowardly drive by smh
  • Obsidian gets a free pass here, because of what Bethesda and Bioware have become. It is perfectly ok that The Outer World's is 'more of the same' and not all that innovative. This is due to the fact that an 'engrossing single player RPG' almost represents a refreshing innovation in itself, due to the utterly reprehensible practices of those other two devs.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If game is liked - free pass, got ya.

see yaaaaa

F'real though its a fun game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

classic reg cowardly drive by smh

I await the retaliatory gangland massacre in the goty thread.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Obsidian gets a free pass here, because of what Bethesda and Bioware have become. It is perfectly ok that The Outer World's is 'more of the same' and not all that innovative. This is due to the fact that an 'engrossing single player RPG' almost represents a refreshing innovation in itself, due to the utterly reprehensible practices of those other two devs.

Agree with that.
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Yep the script is great but the technical limitations strip it bare.  Having to make a 'tough choice' over which township to save is totally undermined by having only a couple of npcs wandering around. There's no life on this planet.

Think I'm over the 'tough choice' stuff in general.  It's a bit too played out.  When I know I'm being railroaded into picking the lesser evil they lose their impact.  

I like RPGs better as a full on power fantasy ie: things can go really badly due to your incompetence, laziness, nefariousness etc.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    With the PC Xbox pass this has to be downloaded to the C drive. Why is that?
    I get a choice...

I normally do but not this one. I wouldn't mind but the optimisation is shit anyway. Putting it in Fullscreen mode and a 60 fps cap helps.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Did anyone manage to get to
    Spoiler:
    without a massive firefight?

(Mission early on about finding a person who has vanished without a trace)
  • Spoiler:
  • Seeing people gush on this, I'm struggling to draw a conclusion as to whether it's genuinely good and I should pay attention to a future classic or is it just the bar has been set so so low recently for games like this thanks pretty much to Bethesda's fuckery.
  • I have a thought about that mission as well outside of the approach.
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Stupid controls - almost every time I press square to open a door or pick something up, it also unholsters my gun. General clumsiness means I've shot a bunch of people by accident and then it's game over.
  • Yeah that was pissing me off as well.
    I dont know why it needs to be mapped to X/Square to draw. Just have right trigger draw first then fire.
  • @gav.  There certainly is a bit of Obsidian fanboyism going on with this. But that's coupled with a genuine sense of relief at the fact that there is now a proper Western RPG to play that hasn't gone the dreaded multiplayer / loot box route.

The game has its limitations. Enemy AI is even worse than what you might find in a Bethesda game. Picked a fight with a gang of Space Apes as soon as I left my ship. Ran away because they were too tough. They gave up the chase. I was then able to beat on their hides with impunity as they retreated back to their active 'zone'.  At which point their AI behaviour was 'reset' and they started attacking me again.  I mean, you wouldn't even see that level of dreadfully programmed AI even in Skyrim.

But I'm back on this tonight because it's the closest RPG we'll get to a Han Solo simulator.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • With the PC Xbox pass this has to be downloaded to the C drive. Why is that?

Did you do it through the store or the Xbox beta app?

Had same thing with metro. Doing it through the store is a pain, doing stuff through the app allows you to choose drive.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • As per with MS, the store is a hit fucking shit, and the Xbox app, when I first installed it, wasn't much better, but having had it for a while and it being fairly regularly updated, being a beta and all, it's actually quite nice to use now.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Seeing people gush on this, I'm struggling to draw a conclusion as to whether it's genuinely good and I should pay attention to a future classic or is it just the bar has been set so so low recently for games like this thanks pretty much to Bethesda's fuckery.
    It's genuinely good. I've not put in as much time as I'd like but it's already far better written than anything Bethesda have done. The best Fallout game since New Vegas - IN SPACE! The issues already mentioned are issues but they aren't big deals, for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a bit too much talking and not enough shooting.
  • It's a game where you kill people with words.
  • And guns. Of course marauders aren’t people.
  • I'm really enjoying it. Am about 5-6 hours in and still dicking about in edgewater, but I'm just embarking on the main quest line there. Can already see a fun choice ahead...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Love the systems and the writing. However the art direction really isn't clicking with me. Everything seems really over saturated. It almost looks like the world is made to seem deliberately fake? Is that what they were going for? Can see how Fallout fans would love the game though.
  • I have a thought about that mission as well outside of the approach.
    Spoiler:

I would say
    Spoiler:
  • Anyway, not sure on this first decision. Far as I can tell the only issue with the town (besides the corporate brainwashing) is
    Spoiler:
  • I just enjoy that it takes that much consideration.
    It's possible to start the game like other WRPGs thinking "I'm going to be a hero" or "I'm a lonewolf and fuck these people, I want all the money" then get hit with that decision and realise it isn't quite that simple.
  • Yup defo. It was easy at first to think what I'll need to do but they definitely put a lot of shades of grey in there
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Love the systems and the writing. However the art direction really isn't clicking with me. Everything seems really over saturated. It almost looks like the world is made to seem deliberately fake? Is that what they were going for? Can see how Fallout fans would love the game though.

You can turn most of that off on PC, CA is shit when smeared everywhere. Looks lovely with a quick tweak.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!