GOTY 2018 - Let the grumbling begin
  • I haven't played much this year because I've been working my way through gold on SFV all year. So here goes

1) Smash Ultimate (Everybody is here, even fucking Pichu)
    2) Valkyria Chronicles (the new one)
    3) Pillars of Eternity 2 (milllleess better than the first one)
    4) Overcooked 2 (loads of fun, big fan of Kevin)
    5) Super Mario Party (easily the best one since that class Gamecube one)
  • What's pillars of eternity about. I know it's RPG, which flavour?

I've eyed it a few times.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It's a CRPG akin to the old Infinity Engine games, namely Baldur's Gate (not the hack and slash, the proper DnD ruleset). The writing and characterisation blows away most/all AAA development but the isometric pseudo-turn based combat can be off putting.

Massively recommended.
  • Just played Tetris Effect in VR...

Holy. Fucking. Cow. 

In top 5. But I’m gonna finish Journey mode first. Maybe tomorrow.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Facewon wrote:
    What's pillars of eternity about. I know it's RPG, which flavour? I've eyed it a few times.

Yeah what Tiger said, the first one is alright. Reams of uninteresting text, all very linear, fills a certain hole though. 2nd one is great. Dialogue is excellent, side quests are great, the ship combat is a nice touch, characters well fleshed out and very amusing. It's a cracker.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    First one took itself waaaay too seriously and was pretty off putting. Pages of text that was probably amazingly written and interesting if you're some uber rpg geek but I was losing the will to live.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Just played Tetris Effect in VR... Holy. Fucking. Cow. In top 5. But I’m gonna finish Journey mode first.

Hold down to win?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hold down what?
  • In 2017 I think there were three or four games I could have listed as top in any other year (save for the years of the Mario Galaxy games and Skyward Sword). Yakuza 0, Super Mario Odyssey are phenomenal games that are some of my all time favourites, but Breath of the Wild is a once per decade (or two) experience.

In 2018 I spent a lot of time with some games, but not those which would qualify here. Yakuza Kiwami, more Odyseey, finishing off Starship Patrol, some Fire Emblem (Shadow of Valentia), the first Valkyria Chronicles, Donkey Kong arcade archives, and PES18 were the main ones.

There are two games then that were from 2018 which I played in 2018 to a meaningful extent. One I developed a dislike for, and played mainly out of spiteful compulsion to the point it actively stopped me sleeping. The other game is my sole pick for 2018, and it really played on the melancholic side of nostalgia I somehow, stranegly have for things I never saw or places Ive never been.

That game is Yakuza: Song of Life.

First off is the music. A high-frequency repeating motif (during main story exposition dialogue) really reminded me of the audio in Deus Ex Mankind Divided and that contributes a dour mood in both games; it feels like its pointing to a time and vibrancy lost. Maybe its an association I have in mind, and I cannot put my finger on it, but it's there.

Secondly is the high fidelity world. It encourages you to go slow and savour the exploration in a way unlike the previous entries I played. A new gloss, lost haunts (no more Pocket Circuit is sad) and many changes to an identical city are discomfiting. Onimichi is the antidote to this. It feels like a nice place with vibrant colours and and older landscape.

The supporting cast of characters really grow throughout, from the first drunken brawl to the major set piece battles and they have a clear arc that reflects Kiryu in spoilery ways I won't go into. The absurd bravado and obstinate stupidity of a couple in particular has some hilarious consequences early on, but really hits hard when a major plot development occurs.

Minigames and side actvities as usual are on point. Spear fishing is a new favourite, and darts, pool and karaoke are consistently good. VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 FINAL SHOWDOWN WORKS WITH MY VIRTUA STICK HIGH GRADE. Baseball took a while to click but is really enjoyable, and the gang creator is the new hostess mode. I loved finding out that half of them are in Fire Pro Wrestling. The cat cafe and hunting for the right food. The bar chat club. And why did I only discover later that Takeshi from Takeshi's Castle is there on the cover?! See - there is the mid-1990s pop culture I missed out on.

With all that said, I stopped playing Yakuza 6 when I got to the final chapter. I have four further games to complete before re-starting it (Kiwami 2, and the HD versions of 3-5). This game is one to savour, and finishing it now will not do it JUSTIS.

So that's it. My sole pick this year is Yakuza 6.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Hooked on Tetris Effect. Definitely one of the best games of the year. In it goes into my top 5. Gris drops out.
  • Gutted that I struggled with Yakuza 6 but I kept the disc for a rainy day. Will carry on at some point.
  • Put some time into Yakuza 0 today - think 6 is out on PC next year
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Hooked on Tetris Effect. Definitely one of the best games of the year. In it goes into my top 5. Gris drops out.

Eeww
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    In 2017 I think there were three or four games I could have listed as top in any other year (save for the years of the Mario Galaxy games and Skyward Sword). Yakuza 0, Super Mario Odyssey are phenomenal games that are some of my all time favourites, but Breath of the Wild is a once per decade (or two) experience.

In 2018 I spent a lot of time with some games, but not those which would qualify here. Yakuza Kiwami, more Odyseey, finishing off Starship Patrol, some Fire Emblem (Shadow of Valentia), the first Valkyria Chronicles, Donkey Kong arcade archives, and PES18 were the main ones.

There are two games then that were from 2018 which I played in 2018 to a meaningful extent. One I developed a dislike for, and played mainly out of spiteful compulsion to the point it actively stopped me sleeping. The other game is my sole pick for 2018, and it really played on the melancholic side of nostalgia I somehow, stranegly have for things I never saw or places Ive never been.

That game is Yakuza: Song of Life.

First off is the music. A high-frequency repeating motif (during main story exposition dialogue) really reminded me of the audio in Deus Ex Mankind Divided and that contributes a dour mood in both games; it feels like its pointing to a time and vibrancy lost. Maybe its an association I have in mind, and I cannot put my finger on it, but it's there.

Secondly is the high fidelity world. It encourages you to go slow and savour the exploration in a way unlike the previous entries I played. A new gloss, lost haunts (no more Pocket Circuit is sad) and many changes to an identical city are discomfiting. Onimichi is the antidote to this. It feels like a nice place with vibrant colours and and older landscape.

The supporting cast of characters really grow throughout, from the first drunken brawl to the major set piece battles and they have a clear arc that reflects Kiryu in spoilery ways I won't go into. The absurd bravado and obstinate stupidity of a couple in particular has some hilarious consequences early on, but really hits hard when a major plot development occurs.

Minigames and side actvities as usual are on point. Spear fishing is a new favourite, and darts, pool and karaoke are consistently good. VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 FINAL SHOWDOWN WORKS WITH MY VIRTUA STICK HIGH GRADE. Baseball took a while to click but is really enjoyable, and the gang creator is the new hostess mode. I loved finding out that half of them are in Fire Pro Wrestling. The cat cafe and hunting for the right food. The bar chat club. And why did I only discover later that Takeshi from Takeshi's Castle is there on the cover?! See - there is the mid-1990s pop culture I missed out on.

With all that said, I stopped playing Yakuza 6 when I got to the final chapter. I have four further games to complete before re-starting it (Kiwami 2, and the HD versions of 3-5). This game is one to savour, and finishing it now will not do it JUSTIS.

So that's it. My sole pick this year is Yakuza 6.

Vela is better than all of us. And I agree with all you said up there. And also RIZAP
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I played some Yakuza 0 and thought it was turgid shite. Especially the brothel simulator.

Cringe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's a brothel simulator? I must have missed that when I cleared it all
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Don't think you can miss it. You get to dress up all your staff all pretty for the 'customers'.

Bleurgh.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Hooked on Tetris Effect. Definitely one of the best games of the year. In it goes into my top 5. Gris drops out.

Eeww

He’s a sick man.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Don't think you can miss it. You get to dress up all your staff all pretty for the 'customers'.

Bleurgh.
    If we are misnaming a hostess club for a brothel then I'd say it's as bad as paying extra to get wanked off in a hotel bath in rdr 2

Bleurgh.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You'd be correct.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good good
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Don't think you can miss it. You get to dress up all your staff all pretty for the 'customers'. Bleurgh.
    That’s about half way through - you put a lot of time into something turgid!
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I was pushing on because everyone bangs on about how awesome the series is. I'll generally always try give something a good crack. See Smash.
  • I have so much to play, need to get onto Yakuza 0 soon/at some point, sounds like such a great game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sold on the strength of a hostess bar/brothel.
  • There's a multiple choice webcam rhythm babestation thing in Y6.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There's a multiple choice webcam rhythm babestation thing in Y6.
    I’m in!
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!