You should have had fewer rules.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Come to think of it, the issue only appeared when he started counting the votes. No counting, no problem.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ok time for top 5. I could be missing out on Astro Bot and Spidey but I’m not realistically going to play either before the end of Jan. 

1. Slay the Spire - So so addictive. For me this has been the only game I've really played over Christmas. And for someone who doesn't play games for any length of time that you guys do I have already clocked 75 hours. It's combination of simple to learn, difficult to master card play, combined with some RNG bad/goodness and it just keeps me coming back for more. The fact that I can play it on my MacBook (thanks Elf) means that it's pretty much always with me. It's a serious contender for GOAT

2. Hollow Knight - still not completed it (par for the course for me), but this doesn't stop it being a superbly balanced, if somewhat tough, metroidy/platformer/slashemup/thingy. And, tbh, I have this place to thank for me getting into it. I bought it pretty early on, on Switch, played it, didn't appreciate the game at all and put it down. But I kept seeing the thread count go up in HK thread, with the occasional comment in the Switch thread. I'm glad I stuck at it, and will go back to it when I'm back home. I must admit, I've played most of it on the big screen with the Pro Controller, which has spoiled me when I now use the joy cons I just don't have the same level of confidence, especially around the tricky jumpy/spike death parts of the game.

3. Read Dead Redemption 2 - this is a difficult choice, as I'm only on Chapter 2, but when I set aside time to play it, I find it the most detailed, absorbing open world game I've ever played. I'm not that bothered with the main story, and often it's at odds with how I want to play the game, but the amazing vistas, inventive little side quests (I rescued a photographers bag by bullet-time diving after a coyote and shooting it - yes it was a button fudge!), poker playing and hunting/gathering, and I'm sure more I have yet to discover, prove that the distractions are better than just following the path laid out for me. If I had played it more, it could be number 1, but for now it stays here.

4. Gris - I figured I had better put in one game I've completed this year (I can't have Hyper Light Drifter, which is better) and this is just a simple, beautiful experience. People have compared it to Journey, I can see why, but I don't think they are the same at all. What this is, is an incredibly beautiful work of interactive digital art. Anyone playing on Switch really does need to put in on the big screen, play with a surround sound system, switch off the lights and just immerse yourself in it. I promise you will appreciate it more.

5. Into The Breach - I expected to like this from the off. But it wasn't what I thought it was. Like some, I was looking for the next Advance Wars, but it isn't that. I haven't played it in a while, but it doesn't matter. It is a timeless game that can be played forever, and for that reason alone, it deserves to be in my top 5.

Honourable mentions go to: God of War, Forza Horizon 4 and Gorogoa.
  • nice write-up boris, i had the same top 2 but different order
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah they could be interchanged for me but think Spire has me in its grip right now.
  • Have you tried dead cells?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope, plumped for Mario + Rabids in the sale.
  • I think, as it stands, my list is like so....

1. Slay the Spire. (it got there, temps.) 150 hrs plus.

2. Dead Cells. (130ish hours)

3. Ashen. Flawed, but all the feels in a few bits.

4. Wizard of Legend. Have only dabbled, so it's place holder, but it's solid.

Likely to play before cut off....

Subnautica, Kingdom Two Thrones, maybe Hitman 2. 

City of Brass is in Early access, but not so amazing that I want to flaunt rules yet.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Guess I should do this. I'm unlikely to play anything else.

4. Capcom Beat em Bundle
    Drop it if not allowed.
    A brilliant collection of some great beat am ups. Always a fave genre of mine and it's nice to be able to play them in one place, especially the arcade releases.

3. Spyro Trilogy
    Not sure on rules with this one. If it isn't allowed then bump the others and drop this.
    The animation of Spyro is fantastic, his ground movement is exactly like my own dog's movement. Graphics are lush and vibrant while true to the originals.In remaking these games they have kept what made the old games great while expanding on the short falls such as adding unique character models for each Dragon saved.

2. Assasins Creed Odyssey
    A surprise one this and I am still early days on it but I feel it deserves the position.
    I haven't enjoyed Ass Crud since Brotherhood. I feel as it expanded I found the controls increasingly fiddly and it expanded upon the stuff I didn't like more than what I did.

Odyssey feels more action based. The stealth is still there but the focus is on abilities over gadgets, the simple ability wheel cuts down on having to remember multiple button combinations and means the player can refine the movesets to suit.

It's visually lovely, Greece is a great setting too.

I love The Mercenary system, not sure if that was introduced here or Origins but it's neat. I wish they would expand it into the full nemesis system.

1. Ultimate Smash
    I love Smash, i love how it is a library of retro gaming while also being a fantastic game in its own right. I thought it was a real shame that the WiiU version lacked the SP components of the previous two. Well SP is back and deeper than ever. Loved all of the 30 odd hours that took me and will eventually get through ng+ as well.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1. Game Pass
  • If Splat 2 was this year I need to change mine, thought it was last year.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If Splat 2 was this year I need to change mine, thought it was last year.

It's way off.
    Shall remove.
  • Ha I just checked. I should add it to last year really, loved it in sp
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will have to revise list, Mr success just dropped ....

https://twitter.com/hap_inc_en/status/1079077026445717504?s=19
  • Ooh, I guess that is the same people as Mom Hid my Game.

Second in weird stakes after Fuck Mr Hatcher.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Will have to revise list, Mr success just dropped ....

https://twitter.com/hap_inc_en/status/1079077026445717504?s=19

I assume muzzy has completed this?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why me?!

My girls have played the first three, I've dabbled with each and they are kinda fun/dumb/silly... This one looks even more so!
  • I found a video of it and it looks like the worst thing I've ever seen. It's perfect for you.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mate you're thinking of moot
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ... who's last two reviews have been "Avoid, even if you like the [unspecified] genre" and "Worth £4, just"...
  • Summaries, not reviews.  Those are on page 3.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Mate you're thinking of moot

klocki
    Red
    Hocus
    Yellow
    Blip Blup
    KAMI
    Lines
    PEG
    SiNKR
    TorqueL

Need I go on?
  • I know Kami from that list. It’s quite therapeutic.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-(
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Elf - think the rankings need updating

*cough cough*
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm changing my list.

1. Rimworld
    2. Dead Cells
    3. Hollow Knight
    4.Subnautica
    5. Cultist Simulator
  • I've only just got God of War and Spider-Man for Christmas so need to put some time into those before fully deciding. Think my list will have Dead Cells, Into The Breach and Red Dead, not sure on some others
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @Elf - think the rankings need updating *cough cough*

Bloody slave driver...

Won’t be updated until I’m back at work on Wednesday. That’s where I keep all my spreadsheets and shit.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I've only just got God of War and Spider-Man for Christmas so need to put some time into those before fully deciding. Think my list will have Dead Cells, Into The Breach and Red Dead, not sure on some others

Play GoW first! Of course I’d say that; I haven’t played Spider-Man yet. That will be remedied due to Boris kindness to lend it to me.
  • No, play Spider-Man first.

Also Elf, play Spider-Man.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!