The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Sea of Thieves was free tho’

Its... not. And also I don't get the point here? Fortnite is free and it's the biggest new IP this gen.

I was being slightly flippant but I wonder how much of its number who played it was because its launch was part of the free Trial or abused conversion of gold to gamepass.

Maybe it is successful? I don’t know but the way BHD framed it I think if that’s the measure of success it is a qualified success.

While yes fortnight is free that also is making enough money for epic to give away other video games.
  • Saying it new IP isn’t particularly helpful either.

God of War wasn’t a new IP, but the game bears almost no resemblance to the previous games in the series. Sticking with the GoW theme, I’m guessing that the Tactics game isn’t anything like the others too? There’s no doubt more examples like this.

IP doesn’t restrict what the game is, it’s the developers and/or their understanding of what the market wants.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Oh BHD has mentioned SoT

He doesn't count because he plays with the sailing line on.

[10]

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Saying it new IP isn’t particularly helpful either.

God of War wasn’t a new IP, but the game bears almost no resemblance to the previous games in the series. Sticking with the GoW theme, I’m guessing that the Tactics game isn’t anything like the others too? There’s no doubt more examples like this.

IP doesn’t restrict what the game is, it’s the developers and/or their understanding of what the market wants.

I wanted to say God of War but wanted to show that there were genuinely new IP this gen.

Tactics is Pc only still so off the console chat with you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think I paid £20 for Sea of Thieves as it's a quality game and I took a long time to warm up to Game Pass.
  • Technically: splatoon is this gen.
  • There’s genuinely loads of new IP all the time, but equally the next COD, FIFA , etc., sell a tonne of games and they take the focus.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    There’s genuinely loads of new IP all the time, but equally the next COD, FIFA , etc., sell a tonne of games and they take the focus.

Was mentioned elsewhere but we are the bubble here in a number of ways, and cod and FIFA get the focus because they're the games for most people.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Oh BHD has mentioned SoT

He doesn't count because he plays with the sailing line on.

[10]

Don't even question my seamen ship.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    There’s genuinely loads of new IP all the time, but equally the next COD, FIFA , etc., sell a tonne of games and they take the focus.

Was mentioned elsewhere but we are the bubble here in a number of ways, and cod and FIFA get the focus because they're the games for most people.

Agreed. But those same folk have to buy other games, otherwise we wouldn’t have LoU2, Ring Fit, Animal Crossing, and FF7R so high in the Amazon charts.
  • On the flip side GTAV is still probably in the top 10.

I don’t even know who is going into a shop and constantly buying it. Probably rockstar.
  • Ha ha that PS5 design is fucking awful, looks like it should be a shit hotel in Dubai.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • What I liked about the Xbox in terms of the physical box is how it looks to be an excercise in absolute efficiency in usage of the available physical space. Everything is crammed in and cooled in a smart way. There's plenty of wasted footprint for the PS5, with that stand thing it's not going to be much thinner than the Xbox, and it looks a good bit taller too... Also the design doesn't appear to be amenable for laying it down on it's side.
  • What I liked about the Xbox in terms of the physical box is how it looks to be an excercise in absolute efficiency in usage of the available physical space. Everything is crammed in and cooled in a smart way. There's plenty of wasted footprint for the PS5, with that stand thing it's not going to be much thinner than the Xbox, and it looks a good bit taller too... Also the design doesn't appear to be amenable for laying it down on it's side.

While the sxxbx is a vertical sandwich design the playstation looks like a gpu vertical card tower.
    I hope the fans won't sound like turbo jets taking off.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • MS have been really open about the hardware design which is nice, might have to wait until launch to get a glimpse of the PS5 but I'm pretty doubtful about it in terms of noise/thermals...
  • Genuine question is there a xbox reveal as well coming up?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Genuine question is there a xbox reveal as well coming up?

Nah they've decide to bin it all after the confusion people had over the name.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes, in July, they've been really open about that and showing first party games
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy is bad man
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Has anyone mentioned thermal dynamics yet?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Tempy is bad man

a sad man
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yes, in July, they've been really open about that and showing first party games

Cool, cause that was somewhat underwhelming
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm genuinely unsure now. May even wait until the post launch dust settles. Neither machine have wowed me. While technically Cerny talked a good game, I didn't see anything (except maybe Ratchet and Horizon 2) that could be considered real next gen. Jury is out.
  • Someone on reddit or somewhere will knock together a rough size comparison soon, PS5 looks quite tall to me.
  • Oh man deathloop and ghost wire are timed exclusive. What a fucking pain in the ass.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I'm genuinely unsure now. May even wait until the post launch dust settles. Neither machine have wowed me. While technically Cerny talked a good game, I didn't see anything (except maybe Ratchet and Horizon 2) that could be considered real next gen. Jury is out.
    Same for me. 
    Literally nothing in either reveal that wowed me. Same old games but with more shinies. 
    I think I'll hold fire wait for the real world performance comparisons. Before making a decision as I'm only getting one of these machines this time around.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Now i just realised the "village" trailer is Resident Evil 8, im in.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Horizontal
    Kw6XagW.png
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Rong Fred, also way late
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!