The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Yeah if it’s a billion pounds I’m out. But in terms of philosophy I’m more excited by the PS5. I was originally on board with this continuation that Xbox are going for but these ideas of sensory inputs and trying to get you in the game feel like actual evolutions backed by technology in the ear and hand (as opposed to just saying: this is more immersive because of 4000000000 triangles)

To put this in further context: one of the top experiences I’ve had this gen was trying to count how many balls they pretended were in a joycon via hd rumble.
  • Games
    Services
    Price point
    What your friends have
    Reliability (if coming in later obv)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    It's easy to forget this forum is a bit of an Xbox bubble, a lot of people will wait to hear about PS5 because they have a PS4, as it is the market leader.

I think things can and have flipped around between gens.
    How many were dead sure on a PS3 but ended up with a 360, likewise Xbox One and PS4.

I dont really understand planting flags before all the details are announced if I'm honest.

Don't forget, it was the Xbox One announcement being an absolute shocker that put people off after the 360 was a success (the Wii U for that matter too).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

• I thought gamepass would be a good shout but I don’t find myself really using it. I think it’s fantastic in theory but the use is less good. There’s something about the majority of the games being casual that means I’d rather play them on switch (even if they are more money)

Most people I know with an Xbox dont have a Switch, but they do play a ton on Gamepass. The Red Dead 2 addition has seen loads playing it.

I find it has quite a nice mix of games now.
  • I was more excited by Xbox one than PS4 in some respects. The cheaper by £100, extra power and promise of VR made Sony hotter on the day but the idea of interactive TV by Xbox at least suggested a risk to evolve games a bit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Be interesting to know how many regulars on here stick to one console or have more than one. I know getting the X made me neglect my PS4 but I’m back on that now and genuinely excited for the PS5, but I’ll probably eventually end up getting the Series X as I have GamePass.
  • If i can play the xbox games on my pc then i will stick to one console for now
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Be interesting to know how many regulars on here stick to one console or have more than one. I know getting the X made me neglect my PS4 but I’m back on that now and genuinely excited for the PS5, but I’ll probably eventually end up getting the Series X as I have GamePass.

Since the original PlayStation I’ve largely been a Sony guy. I went for a 360 first on cost, but eventually got a PS3 when the 360 got the RRoD. I was only ever bothered with PS4 at launch, but picked up a One through here at some point. After exhausting the exclusives that interested me, I went back to the PS4. I’ll most likely buy a PS5. I have an open mind, but my gut instinct tells me that Microsoft just can’t make the right decisions to be truly successful in this space again (like the 360 was).

Having said all of the above, I use my Switch more than anything.

Edit: I haven’t included the Dreamcast or other Nintendo consoles in that list, as I’ve tended to own them and then slowly lose interest, as the market for them decreased and the games dried up.
  • I wanna see what Halo and other exclusives are like on Xbox but I doubt it'll be enough to sway me. I've a feeling Halo will be a disappointment. I've never liked anything 343 have done with Halo.

I'm all in for Sony this time. I can just cancel Gamepass. I'm only really playing Warzone on the Xbox these days anyway.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Said before but I'll be getting a Series X snd whatever the next interation of Oculus Quest is in a few years. Barely touched my PS4, which is a shame, but I just don't have the time.
  • Will be PS5 day one, but am open to a Series X further down the line.
  • I can't see that either of them are going to do enough for me to have to worry about them this year. It'll almost certainly be a PS5 for me sometime in 2021. The Switch is the only thing I've played at any length for the past couple of years.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I’m the same on whatever the next Quest is, I’ll likely jump into VR, but as I have a new PC and if likely, most Xbox Series games come out on PC, PS5 will be my preference.

My son is hyped for this PS5 presentation, his graduation to fully fledged gamer is complete. He’ll be the main reason I even bother purchasing either console.
    Things can only get better.
  • What time is the stream tonight pls?
  • This is far from IMPORTANT ANALYSIS, but since I noticed it …

The new PS5 controller. The images/videos promoting today’s stream all show an all-black controller, with blue details. The official Twitter #PS5 icon/emoji from Sony shows a white controller, with the same blue details and black grips/underside. (And those little Twitter emoji things cost a fortune to sponsor, so Sony will have considered it carefully.)

So I reckon there’ll be choice of black or white at launch.
  • In theory Sony should be more about the hardware and Microsoft stronger with software but Sony always seem to be much more focused on pushing new game styles and experiences. Microsoft approach is too safe for first party, although I still enjoy gears and forza horizons is a gem.

All that said, the subscription model is great for me. I play more variety of games, I don't notice the cost and it works as intended. Thing is, it can't be that hard a thing for Sony or Nintendo to copy. Indeed, a Nintendo sub would be incredible but I'm guessing they are selling enough software the old fashioned way to not have to compromise.

If I wanted the top level of new console games, it's hard not to think that Sony are ahead by a length on this. Ps5 games won't have to accommodate working on ps4 or ps4pro and they seem to focusing on how the new tech they are making can push the game experience. Microsofts approach is consumer based but seems locked on what consumers want now as apposed to showing them what they will want in the future. Backwards comparable is cool and might be a necessity to encourage digital purchases and Gamepass is great for someone who is happy to spend a max of 150 quid a year on games. But will it blow anyone away? No, you really need new aaa games for that. Sony look much more likely to do that.

Case in point that cave demo did far more for the PS5 than anything Ms have revealed for series x.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sony's greatest strength and MS biggest weakness is japan studios. MS has no presence in japan and Sony is the safe bet for japanese studios. One way MS could try to counteract that is by making the new X the console for fps games as it was in the 360 days. Japanese studios dont do fps games, which is a shame as id be interested to see what Platinum or capcom could do to the genre.

Halo for me is dead as a franchise ever since bungie left it to 343. The delicate balance of covenant weapons and human weapons, the enemies etc, 343 have done nothing with the franchise. Hopefully they will make me eat my words, but i doubt it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For all the flaws with it, Destiny got the jump on where Halo should have gone to evolve (oho) so anything 343 do that pushes it in that directions (imagine - randomised combat puzzles in the same environment, putting slots into your armour to jump further / move faster, stronger melee etc) will likely be seen in the shadow of where Bungie have already been.
  • I really don't think Halo has much traction anymore. I'm not even sure that destiny is that relevant. Sticking with Gears/Halo/Forza is one of the places where MS have gone wrong, even if I'm grateful that they've funded the Forza Horizon games to a generous degree.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    For all the flaws with it, Destiny got the jump on where Halo should have gone to evolve (oho) so anything 343 do that pushes it in that directions (imagine - randomised combat puzzles in the same environment, putting slots into your armour to jump further / move faster, stronger melee etc) will likely be seen in the shadow of where Bungie have already been.
    They did a bunch of that stuff in Halo 4 and everyone went crazy because at the time Major League Gaming was considered more important than having fun.
  • Wouldnt it be great though if during the unveiling both Sony and MS revealed a new IP, one akin to Gears/Forza/Halo etc. Not just another sequel to an existing IP.
  • They are trying. They must be. Those huge franchises are worth billions, who wouldn’t want to own another one? It’s just that neither company have come up with anything that good for a long time.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Wouldnt it be great though if during the unveiling both Sony and MS revealed a new IP, one akin to Gears/Forza/Halo etc. Not just another sequel to an existing IP.
    I think that is something that has been lacking this gen across near all big developers. There have been a handful of course but so many of the big franchises are from or defined by last gen.
    Halo, Gears, Battlefield, Ass Creed, CoD, Souls, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Uncharted etc.

I've found this gen to be somewhat creatively redundant in regards to the AAA output.
  • I agree liv, i think we may get some unexpected or refreshed approaches to game level design as with no loading times, we wont need 30 sec lift rides or long corridors masking loading of textures etc. The SSD and 3d audio may just be "tech" but maybe, just maybe it could lead to something evolutionary as Mario 64.
  • I don't mind the faux loading bits or whatever. I'm bored of shooting people in the face over and over again or doing endless side quests. So many of the big titles I look at and think "Ok but I've played that time and time again".

Also games are too big. 15 minutes of unique gameplay or story buried in 100+ hours of content.

I'm just ranting now.
  • Nah, I think the new tech is just gonna enhance the latest episodes of existing big franchises.

Sony need a new Lara Croft, basically. A game with a star character so iconic that they cross into other media.
  • Nah, the age of Mario64 and arcade byte games is long gone.
    The UE5 demo screams epic AAA open world no loading screens blockbuster.

There'll still be indies and rogues but you don't need a PS5/xboxsx for that.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Godfall says hi.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!