The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I don't mind the faux loading bits or whatever. I'm bored of shooting people in the face over and over again or doing endless side quests. So many of the big titles I look at and think "Ok but I've played that time and time again".

Also games are too big. 15 minutes of unique gameplay or story buried in 100+ hours of content.

I'm just ranting now.

Yes i agree games are far too big. Rather have a shorter, more focused, more streamlined experience. Also is it too hard to create a AAA third person adventure ala Tomb Raider or Uncharted where the protagonist isnt a mass murderer or we dont havent to kill everyone?
  • I feel like I can have a well made canape (indie) or 16 Mega Buckets of KFC (AAA) but what I want is just a proper, balanced meal made with love and consideration.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I feel like I can have a well made canape (indie) or 16 Mega Buckets of KFC (AAA) but what I want is just a proper, balanced meal made with love and consideration.

I so wish you were in a room with some game developers and said that.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    10 million players for Sea of Thieves is noteworthy for a new IP this gen and a pretty unique game to booty.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I feel like creative drought is entirely a business problem, instead of from any tech shortfall. They can’t or won’t take a punt anymore when that means potential tens of millions of £s pissed up against the wall.
  • monkey wrote:
    I feel like creative drought is entirely a business problem, instead of from any tech shortfall. They can’t or won’t take a punt anymore when that means potential tens of millions of £s pissed up against the wall.
    Yeah it is almost certainly this, which is doubly frustrating when we end up with games like Anthem.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I feel like I can have a well made canape (indie) or 16 Mega Buckets of KFC (AAA) but what I want is just a proper, balanced meal made with love and consideration.
    I so wish you were in a room with some game developers and said that.
    giphy.gif
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:

Control is for you.
  • Big game companies should take the Blumhouse approach and limit budget and scope of projects within their teams. That would help limit game scope. I know a lot of companies kind of do it with game jams for potential ideas but it would be nice for them to commit to some smaller scale stuff
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Control is for you.
    Yeah I do need to play Control to be fair and there are others out there as well that fit the bill.
  • Big game companies should take the Blumhouse approach and limit budget and scope of projects within their teams. That would help limit game scope. I know a lot of companies kind of do it with game jams for potential ideas but it would be nice for them to commit to some smaller scale stuff

Was it EA took this sort of approach and we got Dead Space and that game based on Dante's Inferno? Then EA got greedy and fucked Dead Space franchise in the ass.
  • Yeah EA had a brief window of maybe a year where they pumped out some cool stuff.
  • Mirrors Edge might have been part of that too.

Looking back on this gen, I'm kinda surprised how much of it has been low key stuff that I've played (and granted I'm not the typical gamer)

Switch while I had it was great fun (I regret that I sold it on) but hardly high end tech gaming. My PC has seen mostly Football Manager, SFV and Slay the Spire, with a bit of into the breach once the switch went. X Box has seen a few games but mostly its the MS duo of Gears 5 and Forza Horizon that have visually impressed (oh, and Titanfall 2) The rest of the games I've played have failed to grab me. 

So yeah, bring on the uber high tech consoles!
    SFV - reddave360
  • MS desperately need some new ip to replace gears halo etc
    PSN - minkymu
  • Titty 2 was one of the best and most creative AAA games this gen and EA blew it with the release date.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Titty 2 was one of the best and most creative AAA games this gen and EA blew it with the release date.

No offence to Splatoon but if nintendo did a western FPS, it would be titanfall 2.
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:

Control is for you.

Preach
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Titty 2 was one of the best and most creative AAA games this gen and EA blew it with the release date.

I’d play with another round of Titty. Didn’t play the first but the second was fantastic (only played the campaign).
  • LivDiv wrote:

Control is for you.

Jedi fallen order I'd say too
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I got Fallen Order and played maybe two thirds and decided to trade it while it was worth something.
    I never normally moan about framerate but I found it too shit on Fallen Order, this was on Bone S.
    I decided to wait and pick it up again on a next gen console as it is a good game.
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Weren't Horizon Zero Dawn and Sea of Thieves pretty good new IPs this gen for each system?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh BHD has mentioned SoT
  • Sea of Thieves was free tho’
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's Until Dawn and Titanfall for messing around with existing formulas and doing something new too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sea of Thieves was free tho’

Its... not. And also I don't get the point here? Fortnite is free and it's the biggest new IP this gen.
  • If I didnt mention Horizon I had it in my head. Like I say there were exceptions, always are but realistically it is still a sea of endless Ubisoft and CoD.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Oh BHD has mentioned SoT

He doesn't count because he plays with the sailing line on.
  • Ah I guess every one of those games from that Fahrenheit/indigo prophecy team Is a new IP
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    If I didnt mention Horizon I had it in my head. Like I say there were exceptions, always are but realistically it is still a sea of endless Ubisoft and CoD.

The Division, For Honor were new Ubisoft IP this gen.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I also heard crazy people like Bloodborne.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!