regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    People are speculating or even outright stating it's called series S when it hasn't been named yet. It makes sense to do it, but that's not factual yet.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The whole thing is still speculation (although well-founded) at the moment. Imagine they just pull it.
  • The Xboxes are clear if you know what the One/Series means, but I could imagine the average nan having a lot of trouble with that. Playstation is much simpler, 5 is one newer than 4.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I haven't followed the developments either much and I find MS approach by far the most confusing: Xbox X, XboxOneS, Xbox Series X, Series XS, Xbox One+Sx, Lockhart Series OneXPro :shrug:

They've only announced one console so far, the Series X. It's more interesting to me that people are literally making stuff up to be confused by now. Why? Never seen owt like it.
  • Aye, ms is absolutely awful with their naming convention. Just stick to a numbering scheme and S and X. Much clearer.

The new xbox series S model is about setting a 1080p baseline for next gen to make consoles more accessible to newcomers and casuals. Sony may or may not follow suit by re-releasing, updating and rebranding their current Pro model complete with fancy SSD.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • The naming is far from ideal that is for sure.
    I think this stuff will be much clearer when stood in a shop or browsing a webstore though.
  • If nothing else its clear that Nans are keeping the entire console market going. Without them, I reckon we'd still be at Jaguar levels.
    SFV - reddave360
  • hunk wrote:
    Aye, ms is absolutely awful with their naming convention. Just stick to a numbering scheme and S and X. Much clearer. The new xbox series S model is about setting a 1080p baseline for next gen to make consoles more accessible to newcomers and casuals. Sony may or may not follow suit by re-releasing, updating and rebranding their current Pro model complete with fancy SSD.
    Can you point me at a source where this is stated as anything other than speculation please?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    Aye, ms is absolutely awful with their naming convention. Just stick to a numbering scheme and S and X. Much clearer. The new xbox series S model is about setting a 1080p baseline for next gen to make consoles more accessible to newcomers and casuals. Sony may or may not follow suit by re-releasing, updating and rebranding their current Pro model complete with fancy SSD.
    Can you point me at a source where this is stated as anything other than speculation please?

The DF video Gurt posted a few pages back. But DF is also speculating based on leaked LockHart specs. Will be interesting to see if true but I'm guessing they're not far off the mark.

• g.man wrote:
    hunk wrote:

To be fair, the S/ Lockhart is pure speculation in itself. 

Still, here is an ok article on it...

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-series-s-release-date-news-price-specs-4025417
    SFV - reddave360
  • hunk wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    The DF video Gurt posted a few pages back. But DF is also speculating based on leaked LockHart specs.
    So the answer is no.
  • hunk wrote:
    It won’t be One X level, as the One X is capable of 4K output and puts out 6 teraflops from the gpu. The Lockhart spec is said to be a 4 teraflop gpu. I don’t know enough about these things, but people who do have said that’s the case. It’s a step backwards in terms of gpu output, hence the view it will do 1080p only, but will be more powerful/faster in terms of cpu and ssd.
    You can't compare teraflops across different architectures and generations, new silicon will perform better than a simple 'flops comparison would suggest. I haven't looked too in depth as there's little point with unconfirmed rumours but I would very much wager that a new S would perform on par with the current One X - It's basically going to be like having a two PCs of pretty much the same spec but with one having a cheaper GPU, not a bad idea at all for cost saving. The one thing I'm not sure about is the amount of RAM, I guess a lower end model would need less for VRAM as the texture settings would be reduced, but I don't know if only having 8GB would impact system performance in other ways.

DF is spot on again.
    It's curious how their simulated Lockhart Navi2 setup kindof delivers 1080p/60Hz for the popular current hi end AAA titles. That's definitely not a coincedence. MS doesn't want to place all of its next gen eggs into one sku hence Lockhart/Scarlett. Who knows, with the aftermath of Covid19 it's certainly a sensible strategy. Unless Sony's willing to go low, very low in price.

Lockhart (next gen seriesS) is obviously designed to match and eventualy replace xbox1x. Curious as to how this will play out in the long run. I can see the forum and hc gamers ignoring this release favoring seriesX/PS5 but as a strategic move this makes a lot of sense and might impact next gen in an unexpected manner.

• So all this is pure speculation then?
  • g.man wrote:
    So all this is pure speculation then?

100%

Its possible that MS will release just one console - the series X - and all this will have been for nought.

But where's the fun in that?
    SFV - reddave360
  • g.man wrote:
    So all this is pure speculation then?

Aye, MS has been pretty tight lipped on LockHeart. All speculation is based on leaked reported specs devs are using to optimise their games on. MS should clarify in August
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Let's get back to taking the piss out of the huge melted fan heater.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Lockhart or what ever it is could actually be a portable device.
  • Maybe the real lockhart was the friends we made along the way...
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Maybe the real lockhart was the friends we made along the way...

tumblr_o0wfppDTTC1s7s011o1_400.gif
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The actual real story here has been MS' 20/20 plans disappearing. We are talking about a big July reveal in absolutes as if it will happen as well. It's all fucking up in the air. It's moving into "it's time for a Nintendo Direct" levels of reg-idiocy.
  • My guess is LockHart only exists if Sony plays along nicely with PS5 pricing.
    PS5 + xbox series X (500-600)
    If Sony decides: fuck it we're undercutting xbox again (400), things get dicey for LockHart. MS might cancel that SKU altogether as it's existence would make no sense in context of PS5 pricing. MS is obviously bullish and doesn't expect Sony to drop so low. We'll see in a month eh?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The shitest game of chicken
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    This is why I love the build up to the start of the "new generation" - all the speculation and rumour.....nothing better for the geeky-gamer!
  • Well I just got a very good deal on a 55" 4k beast so that's me strapped in on the launchpad ready to have that MS rocket straight up my arse hwfg lads woooooo
  • Well I just got a very good deal on a 55" 4k beast so that's me strapped in on the launchpad ready to have that MS rocket straight up my arse hwfg lads woooooo

That's quite the pitch for kinnect 3.0

SFV - reddave360
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ThiLEkt.jpg
    Gav waits for DPD.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I realise a lot of peeps here joke about MS branding being confusing but I am genuinely slightly confused by it. Granted, I have not been following any of this closely at all, and it's also true that I could easily unconfuse myself with a single google search, but from a distance this all makes Sony's offering a bit more enticing.

I had no idea what's going on until Liv did the idiots guide summary

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I still don’t get why it’s called series.
  • Because Microsoft hired the wrong branding agency.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    To confuse grans of course.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!