The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Those wireless dongles were a fucking a right rip off.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    How did grans cope. Bet loads bought a Genesis by accident.

I remember at the time there was some tasty language being used about the Core. While it may prove you can launch with different tiered SKUs, I also clearly remember some of the reactions when grans / parents bought their kids the “tard pack” 360.

And yes “tard pack” was actually what people were calling it.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    How did grans cope. Bet loads bought a Genesis by accident.
    I remember at the time there was some tasty language being used about the Core. While it may prove you can launch with different tiered SKUs, I also clearly remember some of the reactions when grans / parents bought their kids the “tard pack” 360. And yes “tard pack” was actually what people were calling it.

Other than the storage (memory cards as opposed to HD) there wasn't a difference between the two and you could purchase a HD and in essence make them the same system.

I believe it was years into the release where MS started to allow games to require a HD.  I'm sure Halo 3 ran from both the HD and disc and had performance improvements if you did.

Perhaps GTA4 was the first to require a HD?

Anyhow, trying to say that although there was two systems at launch, they were the same device just with more/less storage available.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    People are savvy generally and pay what they can afford. Having 2 models at such different price points won't confuse anyone but the intentionally obtuse. There are 10 iPad model variants currently available FFS. Has anyone told Apple what a big mistake they're making?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • But grans have
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Won't the Lockheart be like a Slim/360S version of the current Xbox One X, that's cheaper to manufacture etc whilst the Series X will be like the Xbox One X is this generation?

I mean it's semi confusing because no one has released two tier console from the outset but when you see it from a cross generational strategy it's nothing new.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    Won't the Lockheart be like a Slim/360S version of the current Xbox One X, that's cheaper to manufacture etc whilst the Series X will be like the Xbox One X is this generation?

I mean it's semi confusing because no one has released two tier console from the outset but when you see it from a cross generational strategy it's nothing new.

If it happens, it will have a modern cpu that matches the Series X, but then the gpu, ram and ssd will all be less powerful or smaller, meaning a 1080p target resolution for most games.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    But grans have

I asked my gran for an apple and got a Pink Lady.
    SFV - reddave360

• I believe it was years into the release where MS started to allow games to require a HD.  I'm sure Halo 3 ran from both the HD and disc and had performance improvements if you did.

Halo 3 actually ran worse if it were installed.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    Won't the Lockheart be like a Slim/360S version of the current Xbox One X, that's cheaper to manufacture etc whilst the Series X will be like the Xbox One X is this generation?

If it happens, it will have a modern cpu that matches the Series X, but then the gpu, ram and ssd will all be less powerful or smaller, meaning a 1080p target resolution for most games.

Ah OK. I'm now confused how the One X sits alongside those then.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It doesn’t. It’s finished. It’s hard to get a one x now. Try to buy one from Argos or something and it’s not as easy as it should be.
  • This really isnt that difficult.

Xbox One S and X: Legacy consoles that will be supported for 18 months.
    Xbox Series X: The new console. Bells and whistles, it will do the lot. Will be supported for the foreseeable future.
    Xbox Lockhart: The same as Series X but will not do 4k or ray tracing and wont have a disc drive. Will be supported for the foreseeable future.

Fuck Digital Foundry's break down, fuck teraflops and processor codenames. The above is all any consumer needs to know and it is really fucking simple.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Just change the manufacturer to Sony and it becomes just as simple.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    When Xbox One came out they did a final revision of the Xbox 360 to act as the cheap thing in the range. I could understand why this time, with the base One being a bit underpowered, the One X being a bit expensive for a cheap model and manufacturing capacity being strained by COVID, why they might have decided to have a cheap version of Series X instead. I guess you get some instant efficiencies in terms of components and things.

I think the issue is just whether supporting a lower-specced version will be a bit of a millstone around the platform's neck by the end of the gen.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Haven't the rumours (and that's all we've got) been that the S will have pretty much all the same components as the X, less for the Gpu and disk drive? The only compromise that is needed in that instance is scalable graphics options (fixed depending on which console), and developers already do that because of the infinite number of PC configurations.
  • Loving the idea of Lockheart now.  I had huge Ori & Cuphead fomo with the Xbox One and cracked shortly after the S came out.  I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to 'I must have it' with exclusives and it's very unlikely I'd go a whole gen without buying all the consoles again, so the Lockheart will make it much easier to justify treating myself at some point.  I've seen 4K and I'm not interested.  Double price console to unlock the super shinies?  Lolno.  Unless I've misunderstood what the Lockheart offers I'll be getting 'next gen' software in 1080p.  I've seen that Horizon 2 trailer in non-4K HD on Youtube (to use an example of a next gen title we've seen in motion).  It looks astonishing.  

Sign me up for Tunic at launch in 2022.
  • I think MS have made a rod for their back with the stupid naming system. Other than that though, it's all seems fairly simple and I'm not sure why some of you are so determined to make out like it's really difficult.

Sony and MS are both releasing new super powerful consoles that will deliver superb graphics and performance at 4k.
    MS are (seemingly) planning to release a cheaper version of theirs that will play the same games but just at 1080p. So you know, if you don't have a 4K tv, you're only getting 1080 whichever you buy...and there are some people out there that just can't afford to chuck £400-£500+ on a new console, and more on a TV upgrade to get the best out of it.  but ~£200 to be able to play the same games as well on their existing box?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Not even that, if you take out a mega pass subscription.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Thinking about it though, due to Microsoft and third parties continuing to support cross-gen for a good while, Xbox owners already have a box that can do the first couple of years of next-gen games with less shinies. That kinda makes Lockhart more for people defecting from PlayStation but will it really lure people over?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Or upgrading from OG Xbox one, which will likely chug on newer games.
  • Yeah for the first 18 months it will be mainly for people who dont have a Xbox One S or X already.

To be honest I imagine the people who own an Xbox One X wouldnt be the market for it anyway, that market will want a Series X or a PS5.
  • I'll be happy to buy a series s at launch if what we are assuming is through. I don't need cutting edge and I'm happy to just pick games off game pass but I do like the idea of a cost efficient bump to my one s. Then when the x comes down in price I have the option of moving to that if I want.

Obviously if I'm in a better financial place I will go series x, or if things are worse, I'll stick with my current x Box. Either way, MS have me at least covered for the next year either way. And they'll get their gamepass/ gold sub off me while that's going on.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I realise a lot of peeps here joke about MS branding being confusing but I am genuinely slightly confused by it. Granted, I have not been following any of this closely at all, and it's also true that I could easily unconfuse myself with a single google search, but from a distance this all makes Sony's offering a bit more enticing.
  • I haven't followed the developments either much and I find MS approach by far the most confusing: Xbox X, XboxOneS, Xbox Series X, Series XS, Xbox One+Sx, Lockhart Series OneXPro :shrug:
  • The actual naming scheme they use is pretty awful, definitely makes figuring out what gen is what more confusing if you don't happen to know the specs of the specific models.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I haven't followed the developments either much and I find MS approach by far the most confusing: Xbox X, XboxOneS, Xbox Series X, Series XS, Xbox One+Sx, Lockhart Series OneXPro :shrug:
    As liv pointed out andI stand to be corrected but:

it's Xbox Series X and Series S. 

That's it.  X is the high end model, S is for those who cant afford or dont feel it matters that much.  

Xbox One, One S and One X will still be supported as platforms but wont be available outside of getting rid of excess stock.
    I realise a lot of peeps here joke about MS branding being confusing but I am genuinely slightly confused by it. Granted, I have not been following any of this closely at all, and it's also true that I could easily unconfuse myself with a single google search, but from a distance this all makes Sony's offering a bit more enticing.

I think if you want the most top end console that will make the most of the hardware, Sony are your best bet. Simply because at the moment MS want all their exclusive new games for the next 12 to 18 months to work across all their platforms including the One , One S and One X (which I think is the actual mistake) while Sony will have exclusives that can (not necessarily will) take advantage of the better spec of the PS5
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This Gen:
    XBOX one
    XBOX one S
    XBOX one X

Next Gen:
    XBOX Series X
    XBOX Series S

Scarlet, lockheart and whatever else are all just dev code names aren't they?
  • I know I was being flippant above, when you list it out like that it makes sense. Still, I was confused (albeit as a casual follower of the MS stuff); Sony's efforts seem much clearer, and N heck they just call the console a different name entirely each time.
  • This Gen: 
    XBOX one 
    XBOX one S 
    XBOX one X 

Next Gen: 
    XBOX Series X 
    XBOX Series S 

Scarlet, lockheart and whatever else are all just dev code names aren't they?

And for Sony

This Gen:
    PS4
    PS4 Pro

Next Gen:
    PS5 avec disc
    PS5 Disc? Non!

Nintendo

This Gen:
    Switch
    Switch Lite

Next Gen:
    Wii U (tbc)
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!