The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    . I know ps4 had the advantage this gen but was there a 3rd party game which clearly showed that?
    The ROP bandwidth difference meant pretty much all third party titles targeted 1080p on PS4 and 900p on xbone for the first 2 or 3 years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Considering the fact that these are both PCs in a box, then one having more power will presumably come with a greater cost. Perhaps Sony is willing to swallow that, but I guess we’ll see.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Considering the fact that these are both PCs in a box, then one having more power will presumably come with a greater cost. Perhaps Sony is willing to swallow that, but I guess we’ll see.

Kinda worked out for them this gen.

And the previous 3.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It only worked out for them in the last gen once the cost had come down enough that they were no longer much more expensive than the competition. Until that point, it wasn’t working out that well for them at all. I mean, have we forgotten the PS3 launch already?

This gen, arguably the higher price of the Bone at launch was a key factor in the PS4’s success.

All signs point to this being quite a price-conscious market. Perhaps they can swallow the extra cost, perhaps they won’t but can still buck the trend. Who knows at this stage.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not sure I could be bothered with this next gen at all. Most of the stuff I'm enjoying these days is barely animated. And am important factor is being able to play in the jacks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    in the jacks.

To me this means in the nude. Am I missing something?
  • Sony IS just better at this here game
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    in the jacks.

To me this means in the nude. Am I missing something?

Sorry, in the loo for you Brits. I didn't realise that wasn't common parlance.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Install a toilet in your living room. Job done.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It only worked out for them in the last gen once the cost had come down enough that they were no longer much more expensive than the competition. Until that point, it wasn’t working out that well for them at all. I mean, have we forgotten the PS3 launch already? This gen, arguably the higher price of the Bone at launch was a key factor in the PS4’s success. All signs point to this being quite a price-conscious market. Perhaps they can swallow the extra cost, perhaps they won’t but can still buck the trend. Who knows at this stage.

I wouldnt say Sony always start at high price point as a strategy. But the idea of starting with very strong tech has certainly been key. Looking at the ps3, sure it struggled on take off but throwing the silly competition of who sold the most consoles out the window (which was wii anyway) , it still sold really well. Compare with the struggle the Bone has had. Both the ps3 and Bone had poor launches, but Sony rallied on the ps3 and was about equal to 360 sales. Will the Bone match the ps4 at any point? Not likely, its still around 2 to 1. And dont forget the initial cost of the ps3 was as much about getting the blue ray into the mass market. 

Also because it sold well, the ps4 is still at a pretty good price point for Sony. I'd wager that they will take the hit to keep the ps5 competitive (it might still be the most expensive but not to the point of the ps3). If they can get the initial big sales at launch, they might be able to keep the sale price high for longer, so as their production costs come down they dont have to aggressively discount.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I will be making a rational choice based on my wants and needs and as such, have not yet decided which is the best machine that no-one has yet really seen out of a choice of two machines that no-one has yet really seen.  I for one cannot wait until both are announced and one is more powerful that the other.  For the winners this will be important, for the losers this actually never really mattered and we begin yet     a- fucking-gain.
  • Aye - couldn’t give a shit about power really. As long as we don’t go back to PS3 3rd party levels of performance we should be fine. The base Xbox One struggles performance wise the most right now, but some resolution and occasional frame rate issues aside it’s rarely game breaking. I just want them sweet games.
  • There's no need for games to look much better imo, the likes of Horizon (Zero Dawn and Forza) and RDR2 already look incredible.  Would be nice if frame rate issues were consigned to the past, and morepower should help with scenery pop-up (or fill-in, or whatever it's called now), but looking a bit prettier while running perfectly is the dream.  

It's a shame MS bought all those studios because I was hoping to sack them off to save a bit of money next time around, which probably won't happen now they're back on their exclusives game.
  • I would love a console that starts up instantly, doesn’t have long loading times when starting games and doesn’t require me to sign in again and again.

Just switch it on and be playing within seconds.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Consoles with enough space to not constantly juggle stuff on the hard drive would be nice.  I'll continue to buy all big games on disc until they take away the option, but having to install stuff anyway is a pain.  My Bone S can only store about three full fat games at a time after updates and patches.  And Forza seems to need an extra 8GB every time I play it, which I have to delete something else for.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    It might still be the most expensive but not to the point of the ps3

I’m not so sure, not from a cost to build perspective at least. Remember, they’ve already confirmed an SSD, those aren’t cheap.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I would love a console that starts up instantly, doesn’t have long loading times when starting games and doesn’t require me to sign in again and again.

Just switch it on and be playing within seconds.

SSDs should offer that.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Consoles with enough space to not constantly juggle stuff on the hard drive would be nice.  I'll continue to buy all big games on disc until they take away the option, but having to install stuff anyway is a pain.  My Bone S can only store about three full fat games at a time after updates and patches.  And Forza seems to need an extra 8GB every time I play it, which I have to delete something else for.

SSDs definitely won’t offer that.
  • I would love a console that starts up instantly, doesn’t have long loading times when starting games and doesn’t require me to sign in again and again. Just switch it on and be playing within seconds.
    If you leave it in sleep mode I presume that both current gen consoles do this - my PS4 certainly does. Press button on controller, PS4 wakes up and also wakes up TV, back into whichever game I was last playing within about 4 seconds.
  • Vita and Switch have been amazing from a quick start perspective. Suspend and resume on ps4 isn't bad either but installs and updates kind of lick balls.

Just the harsh reality of multi gig updates. Can't wait to see the first TB size game. Probably a Ubisoft title or Doom Eternal's sequel.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Doom: Eternal Download.
  • djchump wrote:
    I would love a console that starts up instantly, doesn’t have long loading times when starting games and doesn’t require me to sign in again and again. Just switch it on and be playing within seconds.
    If you leave it in sleep mode I presume that both current gen consoles do this - my PS4 certainly does. Press button on controller, PS4 wakes up and also wakes up TV, back into whichever game I was last playing within about 4 seconds.

Xbone is about 12 to 15 seconds to get back to game from standby with TV on wake up.

Switch is pretty much instant.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Vela wrote:
    Vita and Switch have been amazing from a quick start perspective. Suspend and resume on ps4 isn't bad either but installs and updates kind of lick balls.

Just the harsh reality of multi gig updates. Can't wait to see the first TB size game. Probably a Ubisoft title or Doom Eternal's sequel.

Yeah, the PS4 suspend / rest feature is my go-to default for stopping games - I never turn that machine off, and can always jump back in super quickly.
  • Apart from the occasional crash which requires a full restart (usually the fault of the Sky Go app), my Xbone feels pretty much instant-on. The only time any apps fail to insta-launch is when they want to take a few seconds to install an update on starting (YouTube is quite bad for that).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t often seem to play the same game twice in a row, so not so great for me.

The loading time for 4za is such that I often boot it up and then wander off to do something else before coming back to press A then wandering off again. It’s like being back in the tape days.
  • Not related to anything really but speaking of start ups, I like being to launch games with alexa. In the kitchen when making a quick snack or drink, tell alexa to launch ori on xbox and by the time I'm sitting down, tvs on and game is ready. Microsoft were on the right path with kinnect from a voice control perspective, it just should have been optional.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think voice control is a dead cert for the next gen. It’s gaining popularity outside of gaming anyway. Voice without camera would be a winner all round, even if it’s only facilitated by compatibility/integration with existing voice assistants like Alexa and Google Home.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t often seem to play the same game twice in a row, so not so great for me.

This is a legit point - so many of these features depends on usage. I don’t switch games that often - I tend to hammer one until I’m done, the only exception being if I have a single player and multiplayer game in the same rotation. So, for me, the current system is good enough, although in-game load times are still an issue. But, yeah, if you switch a lot I can deffo see the appeal of super fast startup loads.
  • Yeah, that’s fair enough. My Xbone seems to keep Forza in the background and load video apps without affecting it. Clever stuff, really.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I blame Rocket League for being so damn fun and quick enough to play for a few rounds after a session on something else. Damn you Rocket League.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I blame Rocket League for being so damn fun and quick enough to play for a few rounds after a session on something else. Damn you Rocket League.

I really wanna play that game but China lag is such a big issue for me in multiplayer. It’s either smooth as butter here or completely unplayable. It makes me feel guilty every time I play with friends from the forum and end up leaving them in the middle of shit without help.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!