The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Who needs highly rated games year after year and month after month when you can just play multiplatform game Destiny 2 and actually have other players online all the time (as opposed to players who get upset when you imply that their console group will fuck off after a couple of months and that new players should look elsewhere...before fucking off after a couple of months).
    Spoiler:
    :D

Don't knock Destiny 2.
    Spoiler:
  • I bought a 1080p 144hz monitor for my PC and it was like a ton less than a 4K one and I don't regret it one bit.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I have no idea what you're referring to, just having a laugh.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I have no idea what you're referring to, just having a laugh.

It's all good. I imagine cross-play will be pretty standard next gen (I hope) so we won't have people getting left out again. I added stuff in the spoiler if you want clarification but...it's really not important.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah OK. I think all the people I played Destiny 2 with on Bone got bored as they'd finished it and moved onto other games. Me included. I hated the end game. Boring as all fook at the time imo.
  • Which is fair enough. The problem was that, even though the PS4 clan was visibly more active, some of the Xbox lot insisted that they were also playing a lot (and organised on WhatsApp). Then some people (like Haak) who went Xbox suddenly found they had no one to play with. Same story for Monster Hunter: World.

Unfortunately, people can't often see past platform when it comes to making recommendations. If there's a new Tom Clancy game coming out, there's no way I'm recommending PlayStation - The xbox lot have always been more active for Ghost Recon and The Division. I wish that was more common when recommending groups to join.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Don't even mention MH

*shudder*
  • I'm maybe just jaded and bitter, but on catching up with this announcement my only thought is "oh good, the controllers are going to be even more expensive".
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Aye. 

Controller tech is getting unnecessarily prohibitive. Hopefully they last longer than Joycons.
  • Ray tracing makes me think of Super Stardust on the CD32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FDH-Wfcic
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm maybe just jaded and bitter, but on catching up with this announcement my only thought is "oh good, the controllers are going to be even more expensive".

They're a joke. I still only have one PS4 pad. Refuse to buy more. Only reason I have multiple Xbox pads is because I spilt beer on one, bought a new one and then it dried out and was fine again.
  • Current controllers (Joycons aside) are actually really fucking good. If you like the xbox analogue setup? There's a great xbox controller that works on xbox and PC. If you like the PlayStation setup? The dualshock 4 is the best controller Sony have made and also works on Playstation and PC.

If you want something fancier? Xbox One Elite pad.

Want something bespoke? Loads of good choices in various setups, often with bluetooth functionality.

There's never been better choices for controllers than this gen. Unless you play on the Switch.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I really like the pro controller.
  • Cinty going hard on the Switch

nintendo retire bitch
  • Current controllers (Joycons aside) are actually really fucking good. If you like the xbox analogue setup? There's a great xbox controller that works on xbox and PC. If you like the PlayStation setup? The dualshock 4 is the best controller Sony have made and also works on Playstation and PC. If you want something fancier? Xbox One Elite pad. Want something bespoke? Loads of good choices in various setups, often with bluetooth functionality. There's never been better choices for controllers than this gen. Unless you play on the Switch.

Thats true, but the official ones price tages seem to be on a constant upward climb. The Elite pad looked expensive but now it wont be long until thats the normal price range.

I remember the days you could get a one button c64 knobstick for a hapenny and 2 schillings….
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, the amount of extra tech in current controllers means that those from the early days of video games are probably more closely related to doorbells than a Bone or PS4 pad.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I really like the pro controller.

Shit d-pad for a "pro" controller. No. It's inferior to the Dualshock and Xbox One controller in nearly every way. No good d-pad, analogues are fine, but not great, and shoulder buttons are digital. It's really not worth the money.
  • I'm a broken record at this point. But the joycons are not great. The pro controller is not great. And there's not a single controller on the Switch that covers every base. But there is on PS4 and Xbox One.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: Tempy not feeling the shinies, if you don't want to upgrade to 4k then ray-tracing may end up being more relevant next gen possibly? I get the feeling that next gen might go further down the graphics/performance options route that started this gen as 4k 60Hz with ray-tracing seems unlikely to be a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if you can choose to drop resolution or frame rate for fancier graphics or something.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Re: Tempy not feeling the shinies, if you don't want to upgrade to 4k then ray-tracing may end up being more relevant next gen possibly? I get the feeling that next gen might go further down the graphics/performance options route that started this gen as 4k 60Hz with ray-tracing seems unlikely to be a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if you can choose to drop resolution or frame rate for fancier graphics or something.

Nah, it's all bollocks that makes games look nicer for approximately zero extra enjoyment once you've acclimated to it after 5 minutes, but it causes games to cost more and take longer to make.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's no secret I'm not a fan of the dualshock. Never have been. The shape is bloody awful imo. Personal preference etc. Doesn't stop me from buying every Sony console mind.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:

Nah, it's all bollocks that makes games look nicer for approximately zero extra enjoyment once you've acclimated to it after 5 minutes, but it causes games to cost more and take longer to make.

I dread to think how many hours I’ve sunk into 4za now, but those 4K shinies do still have the power to stop me in my tracks from time to time.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The future is wireless VR lads.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Newer shinies and more powerful tech = / = better games has been an argument every gen since the N64. 

Newer tech helps create new experiences.

See 3D in the n64  / playstation era.
    See the first MMOs and early camera stuff in the Dreamcast / Playstation era. Plus...you know, XBOX FUCKING LIVE!!!
    See Dead Rising and really decent open-worlds / asynchronous online in the 360/ PS3 era.
    And now VR and gorgeous, physics based, algorithmic procedurally generated goodness in the modern era.

Ray-tracing will be something. Dual shock, at first, was a gimmick. Now it's everything.
  • Question for the floor: If either of the "big two" are sold as a subscription, pay monthly and comes with Now/GamePass included, would you go for it? This is for the console itself.

I could see it, and I'd probably do it.
  • Sure, eventually it will. Right now though the rush forward is more harmful to devs and players than it is good though, I think. I might be wrong, but new tech and stuff behind games and the constant pressure to be bigger and better leads to increased dev times and bigger flops, it's an industry sickness and not unique to games but it is what it is. Just call me cynical I guess.
  • Question for the floor: If either of the "big two" are sold as a subscription, pay monthly and comes with Now/GamePass included, would you go for it? This is for the console itself. I could see it, and I'd probably do it.

Given a choice between buying outright vs subscription, i'd probably buy outright, simply because current sub models for this type of thing (Stadia) mean buying the system via sub and paying for the games at the same time. But if it was pure gamepass-level generosity...i'd defintely consider sub only.
  • Newer shinies and more powerful tech = / = better games has been an argument every gen since the N64. 

It was one of the main arguments between Saturn & PlayStation, come to think of it many Spectrum vs C64 arguments were based around graphical fidelity.
  • However. I'm wary of the effect of metric-driven sub stuff on games such as Edith Finch, Journey, Goose Game etc.

So. If I felt like the model pushed people towards live-service, I'd ditch it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!