52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    48. Blazing Chrome - Xbox One
    I'm up for this at some point. When it goes cheap somewhere, probably. Does it have much replay value potentially?

To an extent, but mainly for score chasing.  I played it methodically and defensively (always opting for the shield when given a choice), but it's possible to absolutely rinse bosses with the right weapons at your disposal.  A hardcore mode unlocks upon completion, along with a speed run and boss rush iirc.  This may count as a spoiler, so in it goes:
    Spoiler:
  • Great to hear it's brief + good.  Think I'll play it through, but this is about the 15th game in this thread I've liked the look of, and haven't gotten around to finishing!

I managed to get it done in a short and one long session, so I'd say it takes around 3hrs to finish.  A speedrun would probably take 45 minutes, but I died a lot.
  • 49. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch

Four months in and Tilly & I are finally done.  After the pre-launch fervour and initial buzz this joined Pokemon Let's Go by the wayside, but we picked it up again a couple of weeks ago.  She had a blast, but it was hard going for me, despite the charm offensive.  Much like Kirby All Star Allies it's an exceptional game for youngsters, it absolutely succeeds in appealing to very young players with its casual mode, but Christ almighty it's mechanically dull.  The levels are varied in typical Nintendo style, but the fundamental running, jumping, floating and egg firing is wafty.  You'd have to pay me to collect the non-essential items, but thankfully nabbing the vast majority of the flowers en route to the last gem gave me more than enough to pay each toll - reviews citing required backtracking were way off; you'd have to be deliberately avoiding flowers to necessitate further collecting imo.  Special mention to the music - it's fucking terrible.  The main theme is fine (once or twice), but it's regurgitated throughout in surprisingly quarter-arsed fashion, which is especially jarring after playing Woolly World on 3DS (thumbs up for the tunes in that). 

Overall I'm inclined to be harsher on this than I would've been before continuing with the campaign.  I've already mentioned Kirby, but I'll mention it again - much like that slightly weak-sauce platformer it warrants two scores - [8] for the kiddies, mission accomplished there for sure, but probably a [5] for fully grown folk.  It's also a bit tight for two players in places, and doesn't quite feel suited to co-op throughout.  As an amalgamation of Bug!, Clockwork Knight, Tearaway and Yoshi's Island it sort of works, but 'enchantingly boring' is the takeaway description overall.  One of the weaker first party Switch efforts.
  • Good write up.  Pretty similar to how I remember it, except I had to repeat levels towards the end to find enough flowers.  Think I was just rushing through after a while.  Not sure I could bring myself to dislike it or anything, but absolutely no desire to give it another look.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Yoshi games are an odd one for me.

The demo for Crafted World left me cold despite loving Woolley World, which sounds much better than this after your review.

Island > Wooley World >>>> the rest
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Agreed from what I've played of WW. Some of the non platform diversion stages in CW are good, forgot to mention those.

There's zero chance you won't at least like Blazing Chrome btw.
  • What was that GBA one with the weird cart. Universal Gravitation?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There's zero chance you won't at least like Blazing Chrome btw.

Yeah it caught my eye when it was first announced. I'll pick it up at some point, most likely in a sale.

What was that GBA one with the weird cart. Universal Gravitation?

Yep, never played that one. Here's the complete lineup:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES 1995
    Yoshi's Story - N64 1997
    Yoshi Universal Gravitation - GBA 2004 - also known as Topsy-Turvy
    Yoshi Touch & Go - DS 2005
    Yoshi's Island DS - DS 2006
    Yoshi's New Island - 3DS 2014
    Yoshi's Woolly World - Wii U 2015
    Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch 2019
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That Yoshi game soured me so much after end credits. Having to go back and do all that other shit, nah son.
  • That was pretty good, not played it probably since about 2005, so no idea if it stands up though.
  • Touch & Go was great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh I meant new Yoshi btw.
  • 23. Resident Evil 2 [9]
    15 Jul-3 Aug
    For someone who always preferred the second game of the PS1 series and has been hoping for a remake since they did the first one, this is near perfect. It gets the balance just right between keeping the feel of the source material and its core mechanics and advancing it in loads of interesting little ways. The weird thing is how it feels like this was the game I always felt like I was playing 20 years ago, although it was nowhere near as good. It's clear that they studied the original in great detail and have gone to a lot of effort to create a sense of familiarity while keeping you guessing, and the smaller differences between the two characters' stories are also really smart. Take, for example, the way the 'licker' is introduced in the first story and how that plays with your expectations from the past, and then how it does it in the second story. And with the visuals and monster designs, it feels a bit more grounded in reality (despite still being pretty cheesy and daft), and is thus often genuinely tense. The only issues really are that the item system might have been streamlined more, and it doesn't finish as strongly as it starts (they never do). But I loved almost every minute of it. An amazing remake and just a top class action adventure game.
  • Would agree with all of that. I wasn’t keen on every change, but between this and the Remake, the Resident Evil series has a banging record with updating for modern systems. Excited for what they do with 3.
  • 50. Tacoma - Xbox One

Fancied this for a while but always hesitated to part with money for it.  Turns out I made the right decision.  I've got a soft spot for the genre, but I'd put this a fair way down the list of examples I've played.  The interactivity is dull, which doesn't always hurt this sort of thing, but the sci-fi narrative was a bit of a damp squib for me.  Not abysmal, but fundamentally monotonous and all a bit played out.  I can't put my finger on why this received a healthy dose of love on here, yet Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - with its similarly unremarkable storyline yet tons more atmosphere - got such a kicking.  Y'all just really like AI space stuff, maybe?  Whereas I like deserted rural villages and the dulcet tones of Ron from Goodnight Sweetheart.  

Did not enjoy. [4]

gif1-3.gif
  • Really need to finish the alternate paths in RE2 - Did Claire A and Leon B so far.  If only just to use that Clair motorbike outfit I paid money for!

re: Tacoma - yeah... Been a while since I played it, but remember when it finished my reaction was just 'is that it?'  Very stylish but but was a bit of a nothing game.

Couple done over the weekend!

27: Blazing Chrome (Xbox 1) 7/10

I played this on Easy, which gives you more lives and bosses that die quicker.  Still pretty bloody hard!  Think it might have been a better experience on Normal though - with those extra lives I was often tempted to brute-force my way through a tricky bit (eg: if I had 5 lives left for a boss, I'd mostly just get close, hit him as often as I could, then take a death knowing I'd still probably beat him) rather than learn the patterns, take my time, choose a more effective gun, etc.  I probably only played the game properly in the last couple of levels, which are quite punishing on laziness.  

Really nice game with some stylish early 90's graphics.  Feels really nice to control.  Brief but seems built to be re-played.  Don't really have much bad to say about it, though it's not the sort of thing I play a lot of.

28: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Switch) 7/10

Some top shelf fan service!  Really chaotic button mashing action-RPG with a fairly light story which only wants to introduce every Marvel character ever, and that's just great for this kind of thing.  Even if there is a Season Pass, the base game is very generous with how many heroes it gives you access to.  Within a couple of hours I was like a kid in a candy store, unable to pick which superheroes I wanted in my team.  Half the temptation to replay is simply to use a different line up!  I found the fighting pretty entertaining but don't think it was anything special; like it didn't have that Diablo 3 style morishness where I found it hard to put it down.  Mostly I stuck around to see who I was recruiting/fighting next.

Not too many issues, though the RPG stuff, I don't think is handled terribly well.  It's a bit too fiddly with lots of '+7% to magic damage' buffs and stuff that I don't think suits the game.  Would have been happy for it to be a bit lighter.  Ideally you'd get some new outfits to swap between with different +s and -s (you can get new outfits, but the just seem to be cosmetic and you have to complete challenges to unlock them)

Also sometimes on the small screen there is too much chaos and I lose track of my hero.  Had a great time with it though, will wait until all the DLC is available before playing it further.
  • I think the default 'normal' mode is called hard on Blazing Chrome anyway, and easy gets renamed casual. Which can be a bit daunting from the outset. Unless I'm confusing it with Mutant Zero Zero, I started both on the same day. It seems to be a recent thing, where devs are so proud of the standard toughness it's automatically set at a level described as hard. The Butcher does it too.

I'm happy to play stuff on easy or casual these days, but it really depends what it is. Call of Duty would absolutely get played on ultra baby mode, because progression always feels a bit lucky on the harder modes, which gives me zero satisfaction, whereas I'm fine with dying a billion times in a 2D platformer. As a rule of thumb I'm generally up for reducing the difficulty in 3D games, but not 2D ones. I very rarely play anything on a difficulty higher than whatever it's set at out the box but I find being happy to lower the difficulty, which I never really let myself do until this gen, helps me enjoy certain things far more.
  • Yeah I think it might have been MYZ (tried that on hard, got destroyed, restarted on the easier mode... and it was still too hard, lol).  

RE: your thoughts on easy modes - Think that's a good way of playing; pretty similar myself these days!  

Further to the type of game, I find it depends on my level of hype for it too.  IE if I went the pre order and have been hanging out, I'll go normal or hard.  Give it every chance to show off it's depth.  Game Pass or Steam Sale etc games, on the other hand, they're probably going straight on Easy.  There's so much stuff out there, if there isn't any instant gratification I'll usually delete them after 30 minutes or so.
  • 51. Framed - Switch

Sliding tile sequence puzzle game, presumably something that was originally a mobile game.  Standard espionage scenes unfold as you readjust images to make them flow in the correct order for success before hitting the play button.  Quite limited, and becomes less enjoyable when it attempts to mix it up a bit (specifically the reusable frames), but not a bad experience all told.  Will play the sequel at some point, which is included in the collection.  [6]

GranularThisAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif
  • 18:Uncharted Lost Legacy PS4 Pro - 6/10
    Uncharted Lost Legacy
    Now this is a beautiful game, stunning, and as close to Tomb Raider as I can imagine as a visual spectacle but I think TR still edges it, as it edges it with everything else in my opinion. I had high hopes and they were mostly met, big production values, great characters, great set pieces, but it all felt a bit B-Movie, just not quite there, something missing. The adventuring was limited as with most games it all becomes much more linear and streamlined, and as I think it was originally merely some DLC it was all very small scale and whilst I was expecting it to open up into a bigger adventure it all kinda finished and came to a close. It was good fun whilst it lasted, but unfortunately that wasn’t very long.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    18:Uncharted Lost Legacy PS4 Pro - 6/10
    Uncharted Lost Legacy
    Now this is a beautiful game, stunning, and as close to Tomb Raider as I can imagine as a visual spectacle but I think TR still edges it, as it edges it with everything else in my opinion. I had high hopes and they were mostly met, big production values, great characters, great set pieces, but it all felt a bit B-Movie, just not quite there, something missing. The adventuring was limited as with most games it all becomes much more linear and streamlined, and as I think it was originally merely some DLC it was all very small scale and whilst I was expecting it to open up into a bigger adventure it all kinda finished and came to a close. It was good fun whilst it lasted, but unfortunately that wasn’t very long.

So I’m playing the final of the recent Tomb Raiders and I’m basically completely flipped from you. I see Tomb Raider as poorly written (though has some ok acting in places),with rotten pacing, bizarre character development, slightly leery attitude to Lara (fucking still? Really?) shit controls, awful - like really awful - endgames, totally unnecessary death sequences for Lara (weird GG type things to me) and the funniest NPC facial tech and animation I’ve seen since Fifa08 Peter Crouch. All this though is played in nice looking locations and with a good bow and arrow which keeps me going. I’m basically playing it hoping it may be a bit more like Uncharted.
    I played LL alongside my 10 year old daughter who found a link to both the main characters and could project onto them - she loved it. As an extra bonus it also sparked an interest in India for her and just me and her are now gonna head there next year.

She watched me play the Shadow of the Tomb Raider recently for about an hour. She declared it was old fashioned and mean and seemed like teenage boys should be playing it. From the mouths of babes.
  • I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider atm.

Really dissapointed with it. I remember the reboot of the trilogy being really good on PS3 but this has me thinking my memory is playing tricks on me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Reboot and sequel were good. Latest one is utter shite.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Reboot was good, sequel was serviceable but felt disappointing. Didn't bother with the third in the end.

Agree with most of the things uncle said, specifically the bow and arrow being one of the main reasons to play.
  • 52. Mechstermination Force - Switch

Bought thanks to Andy's recommendation in the Switch thread, having previously mistaken it for an overpriced budget game.  It's not quite as good as I was hoping, but I definitely had a good time with it.  Continuing from the groundwork laid with the excellent final boss in Gunman Clive 2 and taking cues from Contra, Cuphead and Shadow of the Colossus, what emerges is a likeable boss rush hodgepodge that could've been stupendous with better controls.  There's a slightly off-kilter feel to the character movement that's hard to pinpoint, but imo the experience is marred by wonky physics and odd inertia.  Basic running and jumping feels like a game that exists in a perpetual state of 12% ice world slipperiness and 6% moon gravity, which is just enough to make the whole thing feel slightly off, especially after the addition of the [minor item spoiler]
    Spoiler:
    As this type of game is intrinsically frustrating, almost as a raison d'etre, what you don't need is something else to complain about when you snuff it for the umpteenth time.  The difficulty compensates for this - unlike Cuphead, once you've leaned what to do executing the plan is relatively straightforward (whereas you learn far more gradually in Cuphead, and must stay on your toes to succeed as you can't often force/spam a win).  It's still a tricky game, but it probably becomes slightly easier as you progress, chiefly thanks to powerful additions to your arsenal.  Visually the cel shaded bot look is bold but not particularly striking - it looks okay, but I won't focus on the graphics as I'll end up damning it with faint praise.  As the camera zooms in and out it's easy to lose track of your character, especially in amongst all the pyrotechnics, which is a bit of a shame.  I couldn't comment on the music as I paid attention to precisely none of it during my playthrough - I'm reasonably sure it was nothing offensive, but it was clearly just...there.  I couldn't even tell you the style of muzak tbh.  Stick your own tunes on, if ye be heathens.   

On to the plus points - despite the inelegance of its gameplay it's hugely addictive.  I was done in, iirc, 3hrs 50 minutes, with just over 100 deaths.  I'm not great at these games but I do like things that eventually succumb to persistence.  Boss design is varied and - key point coming up - exhilarating at its best.  This is where the SotC similarities are pushed to the forefront.  For me, that was a game that came alive at its best moments, which helped to paper over the cracks of its lesser parts.  There were sections in this where I was positively buzzing - when everything comes together as you successfully execute a jump from the arm of a skyscraper-sized robot to its head to deliver a final blow it's a bit of an air puncher. There's undeniable quality here, which is especially noteworthy for an unheralded console exclusive indie release.

Anyway, the tl,dr everyone's so fond of these days is: a commendable boss rush shooter that's extremely likeable but not quite good enough to love. [7]

VFsRaQM%2B-%2BImgur.gif

Edit: Oh, and it has a co-op mode too.  Can't comment on it yet but it could work.
  • RE Tomb Raider/Uncharted, definitely think the PS4 Uncharted's were a lot more entertaining than the recent TR series.  Though wasn't in the mood for the last TR when it came out on Gamepass, and deleted it after an hour or so.  A bit too grim.  Definitely not the first person to say this, but just want a puzzly TR/Uncharted with puzzles, a mystery, a billion dollar graphics budget and no killin'.

BLOODSTAINED RITUAL OF THE NIGHT 7/10

This wasn't exactly as amazing as I had hoped, but pretty decent still.  Loved it's art style and general atmosphere.  Always find exploring in a metrodvania moreish, and this kept me playing for an extra half hour longer than I'd intend, going back to try a new skill in a previously explored area.

Didn't so much get along with the combat, where you have dozens of weapons and magics, but they all seemed very one-note.  Also you have to swap out a lot of your abilities, rather than just having a small handful automatically mapped to a button, and it got pretty cumbersome.  

Also got pretty sick of it towards the end, when a few times I thought the game was over but it was not.  You are supposed to pay much greater attention to the story and journal entries than I did.  As a consequence the last quarter of the game was played with the help of a guide.  

Technically it wasn't great on my PC, with quite a few problems, that seemed to pop up the further I got into the game

Fine enough game but think there's better out there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    51. Framed - Switch

Sliding tile sequence puzzle game, presumably something that was originally a mobile game.  Standard espionage scenes unfold as you readjust images to make them flow in the correct order for success before hitting the play button.  Quite limited, and becomes less enjoyable when it attempts to mix it up a bit (specifically the reusable frames), but not a bad experience all told.  Will play the sequel at some point, which is included in the collection.  [6]

GranularThisAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif

I've now finished the first too (on mobile). Second is more expensive but yeah may at some point. Broadly agree with the above words tbh - kinda interesting idea, but for a little while, some ideas don't work great, about right length, plot meh, yeah [6] I guess cos mechanically interesting.
  • 53. Mutant Year Zero - Xbox One

Tactical turn-based strategy game where you guide a group of hard boiled mutants through 'the zone' on a quest to find the near-mythical Eden.  The graphic novel style vignettes are high quality and the voicework is mostly very strong (with the sore-thumb exception of Magnus).  Avoiding skirmishes plays an important part of the proceedings, so it's as much as stealth game as a grid tactics thing, but you will need to engage regularly to avoid keep pace with the enemies.  Catch-22 in a way, imo your best bet is to take out as many nasties as possible along the way.  Your entire party levels up as one, and the games is unafraid to regularly put you out your depth.  I played on 'normal', which is the setting down from default.  In all likelihood I wouldn't have had the titanium testicles required for hard, let alone ultra hard iron mutant, or whatever the top level was.  I'm not a whizz at the genre, despite the fact that I like it, but this is undeniably rough from the outset in terms of difficulty and I was really struggling until I got the hang of the major mutations like the Hog Rush (which cracked the game wide open due to its ability to silently incapacitate a ghoul).  I get that people don't like hand holding in games, but it took over half the game for me to settle in with all the systems in play.     

Visually it's nice enough, I'm glad I sent the Switch version back as I don't think they'd suit being much muddier/murkier.  The Bone version is a bit glitchy anyway, and takes an eternity to load new areas (or reload stages) which is irritating enough to take the shine off a bit.  Off the top of my head this is the first grid tactics game I've finished on a TV since Shining Force 2, so it was doing plenty of things right though.  The genre goes hand in hand with handheld gaming for me, which is one of the reasons I'd like to see X-Com 2 appear on Switch (bounced off on PS4). I'm waffling a bit now.  I liked this a lot, when it all clicks it's an excellent game and I enjoyed the world and what I've seen of the Mutant universe, but it's no Mario Rabbids.  Shout outs to Borman and Dux as protagonists though, even though it thrives on gruffness the dialogue rarely falls flat.  Oh, and it has a not-unwelcome good-old-fashioned pre-rendered intro.  Looking forward to playing the DLC at some point. [7]

HeavyAstonishingElectriceel-size_restricted.gif
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Updated mine with my last two games.

09 - Celeste Experienced a lot of emotions during this game, not all were good and I needed the help of B for some screens later in the game as I was losing motivation, but it still was great, and I would like more, but not the announced DLC. That's locked behind a condition I probably won't meet. I should really try and get some early strawberries.
    10 - Tearaway (vita) More emotions, complete different ones than Celeste. This is the purest feel good game I've played I think, along with Katamari. Some camera issues, some vita feature implementations that made things harder than they were supposed to, but those didn't matter in the end.

Looking at my "started but never continued" list I should probably focus on Mark of the Ninja and Astro Boy before picking up Hollow Knight.
  • Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (PSX) 8/10

Managed to get a Playstation Classic at a price so cheap I couldn't afford not to buy it.  The included games didn't interest me that much.  But I'd heard that hacking it wasn't too much of a pain, even for a layman like myself.  And it was true!  I'm very excited to play all those classic JRPG's I've heard so much about but never had a chance to play.

Of the included games, most of them I just loaded up, looked at for 5 minutes and then noped out of.  I thought the graphics might be a stumbling block, but i quite like the flimsy polygons, all fuzzy and and muddy, looking like it will all fall apart at any moment.  Very stylish.  It's the controls!  I've gotten too used to how standardised controlling a game is now.  Pressing Triangle to cancel?  Holding down X to make a man walk forwards?  I can't get behind that.

I liked Tekken 3 and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo the best.  They behave just like you'd hope!  

Think after deleting Tetris 99 I still have an itch for a competitive puzzle game and SPF2T is stylish, fun and nasty.  It is a falling gem colour matching game.  I don't know what the genre is called and can't claim to know how to play it properly; most of my good wins seemed to happen by chance.  But there was still a lot of joy in beating a tough opponent, clearing a screen filled with gems with a mighty combo and turning the tables.  I will likely play it again every now and then while the Classic is still plugged into the TV.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!