52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Progression slows but I think it took me 3-4hrs to do the main game. Maybe a touch more, but the game clock app doesn't update for ten days so I can't be sure. 100% doesn't seem to be the end of it though, despite credits rolling. Apologies if that's a spoiler but sticking it in a spoiler box would be confusing.
    That's fine.

It may be something I just pick up now and again on the odd occasion I'm not playing in front of the TV. Seems like a good option for a quick go between other things.
  • 14:South Park-The Stick Of Truth Xbox One - 7/10
    Awesome bit of fun this. Big South Park fan but hate Turn-Based Combat so didn’t bother. Picked it up after seeing it in the Deals thread for less than £4. Still hated the combat but it was all ridiculously South Park so completely worth it. Will pick up the sequel again when I find that absurdly cheap too.

Really need to stop playing such lengthy games if I ever wanna do this.
  • That scores about right. The South Park bits are great but as a game it’s just ok. Goes on a bit long and the combat gets rotten by the end.
  • I grabbed it for £4. No idea when I'll get round to playing it though.
  • monkey wrote:
    That scores about right. The South Park bits are great but as a game it’s just ok. Goes on a bit long and the combat gets rotten by the end.

Yeah, that’s a pretty good review in itself. Would’ve been better at half the run time.
  • I've gone through a bit of a post-Sekiro slump and have been bouncing off assorted Game Pass stuff (As an aside I'm revising my Sekiro score to 10/10.  The frustrations of the first play through don't seem to bother me so much).  Playing nothing long enough to put in this thread unfortunately!

DID manage to finish 1 game, and retire from another though!

Completed - Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise 6/10

I played too much Yakuza over the last year or so.  That's largely why I only mildly enjoyed this game.  Mostly to do with the combat which hasn't done much for me since Yakuza Zero.  You know you're in trouble when you're playing a fighting game and you dread getting into fights.  

Elsewhere, while the main story was good melodramatic fun I didn't go much on the side missions, which the Yakuzas are typically great at.  Didn't come across anything too memorable.  I started rushing through, which was a bad idea, since I was underlevelled for the final bits, and they really dragged on.

I'm not familiar with Fist of the North Star, and only knew it was an over the top anime take on Mad Max.  It certainly lived up to that reputation.  Some wonderful outfits haircuts and characters on display, though I must admit its crazyness did grate a bit after a while.

I'm not sure it does too much wrong.  I'm just a bit over the Yakuza format for the time being.

RETIRED

Tetris 99 10/10

This is pretty much perfect at what it does!  I spend far too much time on it though, and find it so hard to stop once I start.  Beyond wanting to experience some other video games, I've also hit the skill level wall.  Can get the occasional win but only if the good players knock one another out!  It looks like I need to master setting up T-Spins.  I watched a few youtube tutorials but it will require re-learning how to play the game, it seems.  Feel like, even if I DO get good at T-Spins, my reflexes are ...not good, and I'll still get annihilated by the properly good players.

It's been engrossing but it's time to move on.  The best thing to come from Nintendo's online service!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 33. Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom - Switch

AKA Ultimate form Wonderboy III.  The more I played the more absolutely everything grew on me - at first the visuals were merely fine, but by the end I'd decided they were quite stunning; parallax scrolling has a new champion and some of the late game locales are spiffing.  It's perhaps not quite as gorgeous as the recent Dragon's Trap redo, but it's definitely a looker.  The main switch up from The Dragon's Trap is the ability to change characters instantly, meaning the puzzle possibilities for any given screen are far deeper than just 'mouse dungeon' and so on.  The controls are still [old school], so it lacks the ultra precision of many modern games.  As an updated homage though, this works perfectly.  If you want a meticulously designed Wonderboy III sequel with controls you're already familiar with - and I assume you do if you've read this far - this may be one of the highlights of your gaming year.  I finished on 14hrs 52mins, and I'm heading straight back in tonight (honest guv, I know I often say this) because I've got maybe an hour's worth of things to mop up.  Is it worth £35?  Yes, if you fall in the target audience.  Should it be £35 though, considering what's available elsewhere for less (*Hollow Night coughs from stage left*)?  No, it's a moronic decision.  Back to the game though - some of the dungeons towards the end, crikey.  I've never seen anything quite like it, they're absolutely epic.  I'm sure one of them took me well over two hours to chip away at.  What's that, how are the bosses?  Super, thanks for asking.  

I have a few complaints, but they're all small potatoes in the scheme of things.  Ball rolling physics are odd, the potion/death/savepoint system sort of works, but an ability you get midway takes a lot of the sting out of the difficulty if you can be bothered to use it regularly (plus it can be used to farm gazundles of cash at a very obvious point, which of course I did).  Pressing Y to read signs or talk to people should've been patched, as the prompt disappears regularly and you have to shuffle away and back again to highlight it again.  Minor, but annoying.  That's about it.  

The Master System port of Wonderboy in Monsterland is in the top half of my top 100 in The Stu's Top 100 thread, and this is better than that.  I got fully addicted in a way that I haven't since Hollow Knight and probably averaged an hour a day on it since I started.  One of the best games this gen.  [9]

tumblr_inline_pa2grj5E3T1qzpbds_500.gif
  • Nice write up.  It does look and sound great.

I fall into the 'I'll probably love it, but will still wait for it to be 50% off' crowd.  The Switch digital store is so competitive with it's sales.
  • 34. Ape Out - Switch

This is currently receiving some well deserved forum love.  It's hard to fault really, the main game is all over in a couple of hours but the arcade mode adds longevity.  The close quarters Hotline Miami/jazz fusion is immensely satisfying to the eyes and ears (and err thumbs) and it's definitely a 'play how you like' type.  In fairness your choices are limited to careering through stages vs the slow and steady or a mixture of both, but it rarely feels like it's strong arming you into a particular approach.  The random level generation didn't bother me at all, in fact it probably added to the experience as the route remains the same even if the layouts chop and change.  Presentation is faultless and it absolutely deserves to be played at either slightly too loud volume or with headphones thanks to the way the audio apes your actions.  Another absolute win for Devolver Digital.  [8]

_Ape_Out_Gameplay_Trailer_002_No_Platforms_7.gif
  • Nice write up.  It does look and sound great. I fall into the 'I'll probably love it, but will still wait for it to be 50% off' crowd.  The Switch digital store is so competitive with it's sales.

It'll be going in the swopshop club thread shortly.
  • Thanks for the heads up but I'll stay out of that thread; postage would probably be a bit of a killer for me.

Anyway couple more done away with

22: MLB The Show 2019 (PS4) 6/10

Retired from my baseball career at the ripe old age of 22 this time.  A combination of several things, but mostly I'm over this series and shouldn't have brought the '19 version.  It's pretty much the same game but you level up in a slightly different way.  It doesn't feel better or worse.  Regret the purchase!

23: Diablo 3 (Xbox 1) 8/10

Had an awful lot more fun with this than I did with the original PC release.  Playing the always-online single player mode and getting kicked out of my own game was a bit of a joke!  

I played it's Story mode on Normal difficulty, which was very easy and seemed like it was intended as an introduction to the game's other modes.  But that sort of thing generally doesn't interest me.

It does a great job of encouraging you to play on, you're always leveling up, gaining new skills and finding new items.  Found it really hard to put down, which says a lot given the actual action was a bit dull, the story was fine but washed over me (also, I was fine with the audio logs, but whenever it stopped for the sake of dialogue or a cutscene, I was mostly bored and skipped it.  Little need to stop the action in a game like this!), and while the visuals were find you don't see too much that captures the imagination.  Was always excited to find new rare equipment (even though it remained a quite easy game and thus didn't have a great effect), and trying out new skills.

As mentioned, not tempted to continue with the other modes, but could easily imagine revisiting this game once every couple of years.
  • 35. Wandersong - Switch

Sing your way through a magical quest to save the world from inevitable destruction.  Light puzzling and even lighter rhythm action combine with gentle platforming to form a very Western feeling side scrolling walk & talk abdridged roleplaying game with a heart the size of a bus.  Sounds like a lot?  Also sounds good though, right? 

Such a beautiful game.  Played the whole thing with my daughter and it's definitely her GotY, I loved reading it all out and she was genuinely into the story.  The feels, crikey.  Constantly amusing, occasionally very funny and not far off touching when it tries to be, I'd say it's almost perfect at what it does in terms of narrative.  Good dialogue throughout doesn't hurt - traditional RPGs take note.  The only things that let it down slightly are the more standard gamelike sections that are often shoehorned in towards the end of a chapter; some are fine, a couple are poor, but none ruin the overall package.  It really is an absolutely delightful little game bursting with a lightness of touch and littered with incidental window dressing that elevates almost every area into the niceness stratosphere.  Buy if you liked A Night in the Woods, but settle in for a better experience overall.  A gem. [8] 

bedbounce.gif?ssl=1
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's on PC gamepass, so I'll be having a crack soon too I reckon.
  • Sounds great!  It was in a humble bundle not long ago; I'd dismissed it without even looking into it.  Will give it a try on the weekend.
  • 36. BroForce

Pixel art run and gun with low level level randomisation and a colossal smorgasbord of 80s/90s action hero characters.  Gameplay is simple - you can only fire straight ahead - and the environments are destructible (occasionally to the point of no-win situations).  The forced character switching is a neat idea - rescue another member of the Broforce and you'll gain an extra life while switching avatar to whoever you rescued, meaning you could lose Brobocop for Bronan, which is a nooooo, and there's a randomiser on your replacement character upon death too.  So you could lose Brobrocop for Bronan and then, to add insult to injury, have him replaced with Indiana Brones.  

Most of the time you'll just grab the extra credit and hope for the best, but occasionally tactics come into play.  Crumby characters are beneficial to the overall fun in the long run, and their names will probably make you chuckle even if you're the sort that'd be desperate for them not to.  Checkpoints are generous and the whole thing is set to hard but doable, with the optional single life missions providing the real tests.  Good fun, probably would've been a strong [7] but the co-op element pushes it over the line to an [8].  More Devolver goodness.  

Check out the gif for something I didn't know you could do until the penultimate stage:

loBi5to.gif  

I wondered what the AK47 speech bubble meant.
  • 37. Gato Roboto - Switch

Decent Metroid-lite with a pleasing visual style.  Not quite the cracker I was hoping for - strip away the sweet style and mechanically it's no better than half the stuff I play that the snobberati turn their noses up at - but certainly enjoyable.  If you fancy a quaint exploration shooter that doesn't require much head scratching, doesn't last long (3hrs 17 minutes for me, 75% of items found) but is priced accordingly, you can't go far wrong.  Difficulty is a bit random - a couple of early bosses are tricky/fiddly, one in particular, but I dispatched the last three or four at the first attempt.  Good but not great; a fun [6].

ezgif.com-crop.gif
  • After caning it solidly for a month a few years ago, and then never touching it since, I still get the occasional Diablo 3 itch. But it’s a time sink and I’m best off out of it. The levelling system is like crystal meth.
  • That [6] for Gato Roboto is a disappointment but the playtime sounds right.
  • If it helps it received a 6 originally, then I changed it to a 7, then I changed my mind again and reverted to a 6.
  • 38. Golf Peaks - Switch

Grid/turn-based isometric golf puzzle game.  Sink the ball within a certain number of strokes using the shot types set out for each hole.  Move three squares, jump two square and roll one etc.  108 holes in total, each world presents a new hazard - mud (SINK), ice (SLIDE) and so on.  Quite simplistic but a rewarding little head scratcher for a couple of hours.  Holes take a fair amount of planning towards the end, but the way you can retract single turns or restart from scratch at the touch of a button help stave off any real frustration.  It's cheap at the mo, £3ish, and it's well worth that if you fancy a quick and easy to learn puzzle fix [7].

gp_steam_1.gif?t=1550756520

(doesn't play as dual screen, it's just an odd gif)
  • 39. Hyper Sentinel - Switch

Stylish 80s inspired arcade shooter - It's basically Uridium, apparently, which I haven't played myself.  It's a great template.  You're constantly moving towards the right or left of the stage (hitting the far edges spins you back in), switching direction puts you in an invulnerable state for a split second, with a rechargeable speed boost and a rapid fire blaster at your disposal.  Along with an occasional item pick-up (usually attack based), that's it.  You've got to destroy all ground targets in a stage, usually between 20 and 50, which triggers the level guardian.  The bosses are actually quite good, which is unusual for a game whose inspiration stretches so far back, and each requires individual tactics that you can just about work out during the battle, but will occasionally requite a couple of attempts.  It's simplistic, which of course is the point of these homages, and it'll surprise no-one to hear that it's absolutely ripe for score chasing.  

It's not a tough game, thanks to the generous (and rechargeable) shield, but it always manages to feel tricky as you vanquish a stage by the skin of your teeth.  It's seriously legit at what it does, and really shows up Black Bird imo, which I played earlier in the year.  I paid £1.99 but it's been available for under a quid since.  Quality. [8]

tumblr_oq37c04r8Q1tiv4ifo3_400.gif

Can only find a gif of the beta build - the finished article looks more swish that that.
  • 40. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Switch

Another slightly older game I fancied that I dragged my heels on.  I'd heard it was good, but having played A Way Out first (Josef Fares' decidedly wonky second game) I was genuinely surprised at how close to excellent most of this was.  You control both brothers simultaneously, using a stick and a shoulder button each, on a quest to find a cure for their ailing father.  Puzzling is mostly simple, but solving them and executing the solution is rewarding - not to mention refreshing, thanks to the dual character set-up and unusual brain teasers this approach brings to the table.  Most of the puzzles and sections are somewhere between passable (rowing through whales) and superb (working in tandem to escape a dog, steering a glider, trapping an ogre), leaning heavily towards the latter in terms of overall quality.  A co-op mode has been added for the Switch version, which works perfectly well mechanically, but as Andy pointed out you'd be losing a particular pay-off if you opt out of adventuring alone.  

It's a grim fairytale that gets slightly darker the further you progress, and the lack of dialogue combined with neat touches to differentiate between characters, or deft moments of sibling bonding are really nicely done for the most part.  Once again, this comes as a surprise after A Way Out, which was partly appealing because it was so facepalmingly ham-fisted.  Easily one of the best indie experiences of the previous gen and absolutely worth a playthrough on the current crop of consoles if you missed it.  [8]
  • I played through Brothers... with a very small E sleeping on my chest, the controller propped on her tiny bum (it fit perfectly between the two controller grips). A couple of those emotional moments were pretty affecting.
  • 16. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night [8]
    19-29 Jun
    A near perfect follow up to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night over 20 years later. It captures everything that made that game stand out, including some of the wonkiness, while adding a lot of modern touches. It's happy to let you experiment and play with tons of different set ups, even at the expense of balance, and adds so many nice little call backs to the older game that it's impossible not to appreciate the detail. The only issue really is that the final third drags a bit as you have to figure out what to do.

17. Judgment [7]
    1 Jun-2 Jul
    Pretty much what I felt about Yakuza 0 in the end, which is a mix of positive and negative. I liked the change of perspective here, in playing an ex-lawyer private detective instead of an actual Yakuza, and all the different detective modes (trailing, chasing, evidence collecting, disguises) add variety. But none of them are substantial or remotely taxing and they don't develop much throughout the game. The only mild challenge comes from the combat, which is as clumsy and hilariously OTT as ever. But then the characters are great. The story is completely daft but also quite addictive. The side missions are often wonderfully silly. And there are all the various distractions (drone racing in particular is good). So it's hard not to like the game even when it's not asking you to do much or sending you running around the city on errands. I doubt I've got another of these games in me, but I'd definitely pay attention if they ever announced a Yagami and Kaito spinoff of some sort.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    40. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Switch

Glad you liked it. My thoughts.
  • Nice review, agreed with most points. Kuri Kuri Mix passed me by completely. I remember seeing the box when I worked in Game but assumed it was spindleware (the big rotating cheap game section).
  • It’s an Edge [7], I’ll have you know.
  • 15:Gears 4 - Insane Xbox One - 9/10
    Easily the hardest campaign on Insane, and by some margin. Was the only one I hadn’t completed on insane and with 5 getting closer thought I’d better do it, what an absolute nightmare. Great great battles with constant movement gaining a slight advantage then being pushed back, a real war. Tarnished only by so many instafails that felt so very unfair that it bordered on complete frustration at times. Still, amazing game with such awesome gunplay.
  • 41. Pato Box - Switch

Ever craved a B&W Punch-Out clone where you play as a boxing duck without a duck button?  This may scratch that itch, but take heed - the frankly ridiculous padding vomited out between the memory/reaction/rhythm style boxing bouts ruin the main game.  The standard single player mode probably weighs in at a [5] overall, thanks to the overwhelming in-betweeny bits, but it would be a shame to ignore its various merits.  As an arcade box the bosses game it's very good, and it's not like we've been inundated with these types of late.  Anyone who fancies this should go straight for the arcade mode - eight bosses that'll take between ten minutes and an hour each to learn and defeat. Spoiler: the last boss is all the bosses.  Ruiner: The last boss in the standard game has to be played as a turd-tier third person battle, rather than the pattern style that presumably everyone who bought the game would've wanted.  Just scrapes a [6] due to the mostly well designed square circle baddies.  Stylish looking and backed by a decent score, but it's as bloated as Butterbean.  

pizzicanatra.gif
  • There’s a game on sale on the Switch right now that’s got your name all over it, chiefly because it looks bang average and is currently 90% off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!