Game of the Decade
  • Although I do like his theory

So was the year 2000 not really the millennium ?? Should we have all been worried about the 2001 bug?
    The Forum Herald™
  • And what a decade that was! Keep on gaming in the free world
    The Forum Herald™
  • A decade is any period of 10 years.
  • Limbo, Inside, NaissanceE are my personal picks at the moment. In terms of 'cultural impact', fuck knows. Seems like we might want a few categories for this..
  • Nah fuck categories and fuck cultural significance- just cos every 14 year old cunt is wearing a fortnite t shirt. It’s shit
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’m sure Vela is referring to the fact that the first year was year 1 and not year 0, but anyway.

Bob you need to make it clear in your OP dammit what kind of thread is this I’m out

Bye
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Limbo, Inside, NaissanceE are my personal picks at the moment. In terms of 'cultural impact', fuck knows. Seems like we might want a few categories for this..

You can group at as personal favourites and then there's an interesting, edge worthy debate on what game or games have had the biggest impact on the gaming scene. Minecraft, GtA v, fortnite - none of these are games I would play but they have had a huge impact on gaming.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Decade is 2011-2020.
    Bob wrote:
    Er no clearly the decade is 10-19

Technically Vela is right, I remember this from the millenium turning, it seemed only to be Australia shouting at the rest of the world to "wait it's next year, you dumb gaalaa", and they are rght, but nah, when that tens digit changes that's when to celebrate, easier to remember for the stupid masses
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Vela is correct from the point of view that there is no year 0, so the first decade was 1-10, the second was 11-20. Span that forward and, yes, it was wrong to celebrate the turn of the millennium as 1999 tripped into 2000, because the third millennium (or 21st century) didn’t start until 1 January 2001 (and the millennium bug was to do with the numbers rolling from 99 to 00, and fuck all to do with the actual millennium) but I think that, because of the numbers, we tend to think of the decades as starting with the zeros. It makes sense, if we are going to arbitrarily delineate a period of time for direct comparison of its media, to take all of the 201X years together, as opposed to nine of the 201Xs and one 202X.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But if we're talking about the game of the decade i would argue release date isnt significant, so long as it's still popular and you can successfully argue why the game deserves the title.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But is it art?
  • Andy wrote:
    (and the millennium bug was to do with the numbers rolling from 99 to 00, and fuck all to do with the actual millennium) .
    That was my joke .. thanks for explaining it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Rewatching Parks and this has turned into the most Ben Wyatt thread.

Spelunky HD probably gets my vote.
    Dark Souls also a good one.
    Breath of the Wild obviously.
    Oh... Witcher 3

• Spelunky is a great shout
    The Forum Herald™
  • Has anyone played og spelunky? It came out in 2008 and I've no idea how close it is to the HD remake that came out in 2012.
  • halfgone wrote:
    Deadly Premonition.

With runners up being Dark Souls or Mass Effect 2

Oooohhh. I like this.

Edit: did anyone on here get around to finishing it?
  • The decade? No, it's still going.
  • JonB wrote:
    The decade? No, it's still going.

I got close to finishing it last year but hit a difficulty spike and gave up.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You think you're at the end and then, bam, a final twist - another year.

Spoilers, obv.
  • Ajax vs Spurs CL semi 2nd leg.
    Runner up, City vs Spurs CL quart 2nd leg.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    halfgone wrote:
    Deadly Premonition.

Oooohhh. I like this.

Yes the story
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Although I do like his theory

So was the year 2000 not really the millennium ?? Should we have all been worried about the 2001 bug?

Quick, to the body building forum!
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    halfgone wrote:
    Deadly Premonition.

Oooohhh. I like this.

Yes! And got all the collectible cards. Just got the huff that achievements didnt stack.

Have the car tune as my ringtone for years.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Although I do like his theory So was the year 2000 not really the millennium ?? Should we have all been worried about the 2001 bug?
    Quick, to the body building forum!

Lol I remember that. Hilarious stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This could
    Be my best ever thread
    The Forum Herald™
  • I cant see past Dark Souls.

For a start I really enjoyed it, which helps.

It was the most disruptive game to the media that did so in a positive way.
    It redefines how we consider difficulty in games while still remaining open to multiple solutions to challenges.

"The Dark Souls of..." has become so over used it has become cliche, I dont think that applies to any other game despite the rise of the Battle Royale genre.

I think it pulled AAA gaming back from Michael Bay popcorn fluff and offered something more tactical with complex, deep and mysterious lore.

Even it's multiplayer was totally unique (except Demons of course), totally fitting to the gameplay and the lore.

A fantastic achievement.

Demon Souls obviously came prior to this but with it's late Western launch and exclusive platform it didnt quite reach the same audience.
    Further to that though I think, at least for myself, the big difference is the Estus Flask.

The Estus Flask allows the player to largely reset alongside the enemies. I dont think it makes it any easier but it eliminates the need to farm grasses, which means pressing forward, exploring and rolling them dice is more preferable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!