Regs Japan Love in let's explore 9-29 July
  • Wading in on the bread debate, I've been told that Chinese/Japanese/Korean people tend to have less saliva, and therefore prefer bread with more moisture in it. Not sure how true it is, but anecdotally they do seem to prefer softer bread.
  • Adding some balance - the same person that told me that is convinced that not doing a shit each day is the same as smoking 3 packs of cigarettes, and a lot of other stuff that people might see as odd.
  • voices wrote:
    I've been told that Chinese/Japanese/Korean people tend to have less saliva, and therefore prefer bread with more moisture in it.

Look we get on so I know this will be well received, but I will spoiler for those of a more delicate disposition
    Spoiler:

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Hahaha.... That's why I qualified it. Not so far fetched though - she's got the gene thing where she doesn't smell.
  • She has literally cooked snake skin into a medicine for herself.
  • voices wrote:
    Wading in on the bread debate, I've been told that Chinese/Japanese/Korean people tend to have less saliva, and therefore prefer bread with more moisture in it. Not sure how true it is, but anecdotally they do seem to prefer softer bread.

Nah, that person's been lying to your face.
    Basically, east asians don't have a bread tradition as historically, the farmers over there don't have a dairy tradition. I believe 40-60% of the population may have a certain degree of lactose intolerance which is indeed a genetic trait although in time you can build up tolerance depending on diet and genetype.

Tldr; East Asian people drool like any other people but lack a bread tradition probably due to defective lactose processing. Ironic as they are masters of dough with noodles. As long as there is no milk involved....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Also, the us too prefers white soft bread. It's shit and the Americans have no excuse. Generally Europe and the me have the best bread tradition.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What does traditional bread making have to do with dairy farming? Surely it's more to do with wheat farming? In the east rice was the dominant grain, in the middle east and west it was wheat.
  • Good point, that's possibly even a bigger factor. The Chinese do use wheat to make noodles and steamed buns though.

Milk is important in baking as ingredient for bread and deserts. Without it I doubt we'd see the variety in pattiserie we see today.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That TLDR is as L as the thing I DR
  • Bread doesn't have milk in it.

It's 4 ingredients. Flour, water, salt, and yeast.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Bread doesn't have milk in it. It's 4 ingredients. Flour, water, salt, and yeast.

That is also a good point.

Dammit, I feel have derailed Reg's thread :-(
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My understanding is that the reason that many East Asians are lactose intolerant is due to the make up of the bacteria in their gut rather than genetics; they are less likely to have the bacteria that breaks down lactose present.
  • Nah, it's a lack of an enzyme which breaks down some sugars. They have it when they're babies, but some people lose it as they grow. It's a genetic change that has allowed some societies to get more calories etc from dairy, which I guess wasn't as necessary in East Asia.
  • What does traditional bread making have to do with dairy farming? Surely it's more to do with wheat farming? In the east rice was the dominant grain, in the middle east and west it was wheat.
    Frosty wrote:
    Bread doesn't have milk in it.

It's 4 ingredients. Flour, water, salt, and yeast.

Yeast is the link to milk.

Bread, beer and yoghurt, all emerging in the fertile crescent and around, as a means to preserve perishable food somehow. Probably beer came first, then yoghurt (or proto cheese) then bread (some flat bread).

The beer I'm talking about is some kind of sloppy, bready
    brew. Apparently what fed the pyramid builders.

You do, in a sense, need milk for bread. You need civilisation, domesticated animals, and a need to feed lots of people something carb rich and which doesn't go off in a hot climate overnight.
  • That's a bit of a stretch. it seems domestication of livestock is required for civilization, but not necessarily milk. They had bread in Mesoamerica, but not much milk, remaining lactose intolerant in the main. They did technically have milk (in the same way that the ancient Chinese did), but the relationship is a stretch.

.....derail complete/over?
  • I just meant that with yeast, magic happens. That's the only link to milk. It's indirect. Obviously Yog and cheese lasts longer than milk.
  • People love fermented stuff.
    The more fermented (rotten?) the yummier.
    Cheese, fishsauce, kimchi, sauerkraut, alcohol the more fermented the better. People are weird like that.

My point was that because east asia lacked butter/milk in their farming habits they missed out on that much loved segment of desserts in the west: pattiserie/pastry. On the other hand they do have savory treats like noodles and soy/tofu based dishes which are likely to be healthier too. Horses for courses.
  • I mean, who doesn't love red bean paste.
  • I luv red bean paste.
    Then again I also love black fermented beans.
    I know, I am weird.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Today was the hottest day so far, 35 degrees with nearly 100% humidity. Tokyo's sweaty summer is fully in effect. With that in mind we obviously went to DisneySea today. 30,000 steps later and with one of the train lines closed on our way back, made it home, utterly destroyed, but elated.

DisneySea is probably the only Disney park where adults seriously outnumber kids. Shows, rides, restaurants are all geared for an older audience, hence we got a live jazz show with a 15 piece band, followed by drinking cocktails on a full size replica steamliner. There is nothing like it.

Sadly we didn't get on the new ride, "Soaring" which only opened on Tuesday and at one point boasted queue times of 270 minutes (!?) But that's for another time.

xON1oaw.jpg

They've been doing a show / theme called "Pirates Summer! GET WET!" (no, seriously) since 2017 when we were last here. Because it's so hot they basically put on a parade, but on the central lagoon, and completely drench the crowd in water. It's all quite insane.

G5o1nQb.jpg

Little things like this make me smile -

5w7sIVY.jpg

As does the Japanese voice actor on the crystal skull ride.

This is an ukiwah bun, minced prawn inside, served piping hot. It's like a big dumpling and it's done like a life preserver so it looks like Dolan is in it. It's fuckin delicious - really ginger-y.

SurPDMX.jpg

My favourite ride is the Tower of Terror. The Japanese park isn't affiliated with the Twilight Zone, and instead has its own self contained narrative about a guy called Henry Hightower, a colonial type who stole a bunch of famous artifacts, including one called Shriki Utundu, who is the doll that curses him and causes his, and our, lift shafts to fall. The world building around the ride is remarkable.

ZPBM60W.jpg. Some good names on that guest book.

b0BLM8S.jpg the hallway with the broken lift.

Lunch was at the Sakura restaurant. First time we have been there. Had a tonkatsu set with cold udon. It was incredible and too much food for me to finish.

btQ3JgA.jpg

With it, I had their own private label brand of sake that you cannot get anywhere else in Japan except that one restaurant. Disney branded booze!

JRXorTT.jpg

Hello from one of the only pictures where we don't look like we are dying from the heat.

0VFRVb3.jpg

Before the Pirates GET WET show (where we did get absolutely soaked) I bought Pirates Summer limited "beer cocktail". It um... Wasn't the best, unless you want a raspberry and mint flavoured beer. Should have just got a pint of Kirin.

OuCtktD.jpg

After more adventuring, we retired to the Teddy Roosevelt Bar. I've banged on about this place long enough before, and there's plenty of reviews on Disney sites, but for me and flora, it's just the best way to end a DisneySea day and has become our tradition. I still can't think of any bar I've ever been to that does the classic cocktails as well as this.

yhS6tSP.jpg

My martini
    RhYRrOD.jpg

And my Manhattan

3I6P5xG.jpg

Had another martini after and we tottled home.

Tomorrow we are going to Roppongi and a "Science of Pixar" exhibition, among others.

• Yo Reg Can you find out whether December before New year's is a good time to go. Got the itch.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Probably. I'd advise anything after that as backing up into the start of the Olympics shit. Yesterday was the official "one year to Olympics" event and now Shibuya station is jammed with an official Olympics shop. It'll be cold mind.
  • I'm thinking Dec 2020, so after Olympics
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hello from Roppongi, and a shit load of Doraemon.

XQiLcdg.jpg

Have spent the morning at the Science behind Pixar exhibition.

JBdVMqv.jpg

If I look petrified on the 52nd floor that's because I was.

af5mOG7.jpg

Going back for an Attack on Titan exhibition on Sunday too...

Currently tucking into a beef pho set meal with spring rolls, oolong tea and a beer for £7.

h1X1Isd.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good sushi tonight

jqm1HGD.jpg this was £1.

I had to try the smoked duck one for 70p

bzQuBf6.jpg

Went to the arcade and had the play of my life. 1cc'd SFvXMen
    7ZHfip0.jpgn

Then during a 1cc run on SFIV hit the triple P

09WzV9k.jpg

Went for martinis at a bar at the end of the night - great place in Shimokitazawa

eAiPmga.jpg[
  • I honestly always just assumed reg was terrible at videogames.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh ho. Remember that fight stick you bought.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also found a discount store and bought the followjng all between £1.50-3 each.

bRnqVB4.jpg

Bottom is the Summer Wars OST.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!