ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I do recall a brand that sold their whiskey (I think but it might have been a whisky, I forget) and made point of the fact that it has sailed a certain amount of miles, maybe Japan and back, as the motion of the song agitates in the sherry barrels and imparts more flavour. Was quite amusing marketing wankspeak
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Speaking to this friend made me realise the alcohol market is much less about product than marketing. What sells is the idea of the product, the brand. … You start with the target market. Who do you want to sell to? What's their budget? What does the research show. Then you make the product. It's almost a fucking afterthought, the product is driven by the margins they seek to sell to the person they target. It's so obvious but my mind was blown.

For the big brands, aye. For Diageo, definitely. Smaller ones can’t afford the research, design and marketing that takes. Smaller distilleries go to the wall when they try to compete in the same market sectors. They’re better off sticking to making niche products as well as possible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Glad I upset the brexiteers.

Today we went on a 10k hike from Hanno to Kinchakoda. The latter is a very popular holiday destination with Tokyoites and there were a lot of people camping there.

3SDG40C.jpg

Stopped here for our controversial sandos.

l6IIwHz.jpg

LXg5ERR.jpg

Literally doused in sweat

tmZcEHT.jpg

Take vegetables and leave 100¥ a time

qETTGv1.jpg

[IMG]Https://i.imgur.com/IGQFg7O.jpg[/IMG]

People fishing

sFnKXXq.jpg

An amazing piece of apple and fig pie at the end

QqgfyJU.jpg

Dinner tonight was Thai. A nuclear hot green papaya salad, midway through being eaten

JwcdC24.jpg

Coconut spiced soup

x4JbSKI.jpg

KNACKERED
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I do recall a brand that sold their whiskey (I think but it might have been a whisky, I forget) and made point of the fact that it has sailed a certain amount of miles, maybe Japan and back, as the motion of the song agitates in the sherry barrels and imparts more flavour. Was quite amusing marketing wankspeak

That actually has a decent amount of history to back it up. It’s not bad as far as ‘brand stories’ go.

Maturing in sherry casks used to actually be a thing because sherry aged in casks as it was shipped slowly across the seas, then whisky distillers would buy those used casks to mature their whisky in, rather than have them shipped back empty.

Nowadays the whole process is contrived. Sherry isn’t aged during shipping, it’s aged on site where it’s made. And the casks are never sold, they’re re-used for more sherry. Sherry is decanted into metal casks for transport, or it’s bottled on site before sending out. So where do whisky makers get their ‘sherry casks’ from? They make ’em. They build fresh new casks from oak, and then they wash them out with cheap sherry. Shake ’em about a bit. Voila – sherry casks for ageing whisky or bourbon in.

It’s cynical as fuck.
  • Not sure about Japanese whisky on the whole, but the yamazaki 18 was the best whisky I've ever had by a significant margin. Nothing else I've had out of Japan comes close (including the new yamazaki stuff that's being sold now) so maybe there's a bit of truth to them marking stuff up. Your chap from diageo might be a bit conflicted though.

To be fair, we're pretty spoilt for whisky around here. Scotland is pretty good at putting out good stuff, and I'd argue that there always been more variety and quality up there than in japan.
  • I have summat from the horse's mouth now
    Not all "Japanese" whisky is fully Japanese; they often import Scotch whisky as a component. However this would usually happen more in blends. In the case of a single malt, it should be the product of a single distillery, so a Japanese single malt should be 100% Japanese, unless there's some skullduggery going on.

It's very common in the whisky industry to exchange casks between distilleries though.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • So goobs can enjoy his Kawasaki single malt and not feel duped
  • Hey this interaction has earned me a bottle of his latest whisky experiment so I win the thread anyway
  • I think Reg still wins this thread but well done on the free booze.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I think Reg still wins this thread but well done on the free booze.

Haha, brilliant
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Reg wins everything thread due to his unlocked Shade Throw ability.

Description: When Reg gives an opinion, said opinion will automatically be followed up by the implication that anyone who disagrees with him is right-wing / a brexiteer / racist / doesn’t care about the suffering of others.
  • I thought it was the same thing as the racism cannon
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So goobs can enjoy his Kawasaki single malt and not feel duped

I haven't had Japanese whisky since my wife bought me a yamazaki 18 about 8 years ago (and voices is right, best whisky I've ever tasted). It's too bloody expensive.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Reg wins everything thread due to his unlocked Shade Throw ability.

Description: When Reg gives an opinion, said opinion will automatically be followed up by the implication that anyone who disagrees with him is right-wing / a brexiteer / racist / doesn’t care about the suffering of others.
    I see you have played Forum Fighter before.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Going to Kawagoe today which is a town that is still in the Edo style. Apparently not very touristy so fingers crossed it's good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hello from Kawagoe where one of the bits of local advice is "try daytime drinking!" So flora and I are sampling the local brew. Hers is a sweet potato amber.

4U1KTdo.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I also had to get another of these fuckers for lunch. This one even more stuffed than yesterday.

NJR7R78.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    End of days :(
  • I've fucked worse
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    No
    m
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I've fucked worse

Wow. Food waste in 2019. Smdh.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No update yesterday because we got drunk and did karaoke.

We went to Kawagoe which we thought would be a quiet not tourist town and turned out to be drinking central. That being said, there were still awesome shrines etc to see.

nfT5u6u.jpg

To purify yourself it was recommended to walk across this barefoot. It fucking hurt.

etEH5pN.jpg

j86jcfk.jpg

The main Street

oVzPwzN.jpg

JShT9WR.jpg

POyATmO.jpg

Sweaty hi

viyhQoj.jpg

the 540 disciples of Buddha.

Wctkrak.jpg

Followed it up with a BBQ place we found.

YNoEQ8O.jpg

Obligatory martini
    5dkrq5Q.jpg

Then emptied the room

uIC7smq.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyway, relaxo day hello from this Onsen.

bPe5wit.jpg

cYADwg8.jpg

And it's lunch time. This full set and a beer has cost me £12
    PIM0CYE.jpg
  • "And if you tolerate this / Then your children / Will be next"
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kim?  Oh no.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    A bygone age, sadly. We're all quite seriously fucked. In 1995 we visited a farm, went to a BnB. My dad after that stopped buying lamb - organic wasn't really an option in the 90s in London even. The lamb's droppings looked like miniature soft human shits, almost diarrhoea. Not the neat little round balls. It was unnerving. What do they feed them ffs?

Was talking about this recently, around the lunch table, as you do...

I've been doing the vegetarian thing for a bit now (not vegan), and while I'm not dying from the experiment, I do miss meat. 

A friend of my partner was brought up in a rural area. She says her family weren't exactly picking up a fresh chicken every week, or what not, but you'd say, buy a lamb, or a cow, slaughter it, and that should provide fresh meat for at least 3 - 4 months.

You then either freeze or salt meat to preserve it.

Almost impossible to live that way in London, but I want to look into that...

Derailing... 

Sorry Reg... I'm a self conscious mofo, but if I manage to get out there again, I definitely want to try an Onsen at least once.

As for this... 

YNoEQ8O.jpg

That's one fucking serious plate...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I've fucked worse
    Ah, the infamous Brazilian airline sandwich springs to mind here...
    9OalOkW.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!