Regs Japan Love in let's explore 9-29 July
  • Actually, should out to sushi in Jakarta. Seriously good, very cheap. Gandaria City Mall, da bomb
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • It's amazing how shit our sushi is considering we're an island nation. There's good stuff available, but more often than not it's charged at a super premium, and isn't better than what you can buy from a stall outside the old tsukiji market.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    All this sushi talk has reminded me that I’ve got this place 5 minutes walk from the flat and I’m yet to go there:

I really should rectify that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hello from the mid point of our hike and this incredible 7-11 roast beef and horseradish sando.

fzukch3.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I get that they do so many great things but if they're bearing us at beef and norseradish then I'm paying for more tsunamis
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They absolutely smash us at beef. It's not even fair how much better their beef is.
  • The UK has some incredible beef, but it's all about knowing your cuts, their uses, and having a good local butcher. I've had some incredible beef, including Japanese, and yes - it's top stuff. But the UK does have comparative stuff, if you know how and where to look.

Citation: i grew up on a farm.
  • American beef can also be god-tier, tbf.
  • Their beer on tap in their version of Gregg's - some tonkatsu place - is better than most pubs.

Their battered fish ain't bad neither.

Racist fuckers
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They're pretty good at making whiskey too.
  • The UK has some incredible beef, but it's all about knowing your cuts, their uses, and having a good local butcher. I've had some incredible beef, including Japanese, and yes - it's top stuff. But the UK does have comparative stuff, if you know how and where to look.

Citation: i grew up on a farm.

Translation: craving for some meat? Look to Cinty

But yeah, I remember trips to the atlas mountain with my dad, 6am, he would stop at the local butcher at the village, get two massive steaks, and we would grill them over a wood fire after work, eat them with chips fried in olive oil (potatos from the garden), salad from the garden, olive oil from the stores.... Fucking best meal I ever had, take it to my grave.

I think the Japanese beef is because of what they feed them. This beef was from locally sourced meat, ie organic fed, etc

• They're pretty good at making whiskey too.

This I confirm is not true. Friend high up in diageo.

They make so little whiskey they have to import from Scotland, slap a label on it, and call it Japanese. Biggest scam ever. People like reg buy their own fucking whiskey back for 30 quid more a bottle than they can get it at home.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Maybe their blended stuff, but surely they wouldn't be so dishonest about their single malts?
  • Maybe their blended stuff, but surely they wouldn't be so dishonest about their single malts?

You'd hope so. But I dunno. My friend knows his shit though and I distinctly remember him effectively saying Japanese whiskey is a big old fucking scam
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ok, that blog says its an issue with some distilleries / produces but not all. Japan still make good whisky, you just need to find the good stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A brand like yamazaki selling a single malt and claiming it was Japanese when it wasnt would ruin their brand. If their competitors had evidence they were doing that wouldn't they tell everyone that would listen?
  • I remember trips to the atlas mountain with my dad, 6am, he would stop at the local butcher at the village, get two massive steaks, and we would grill them over a wood fire after work, eat them with chips fried in olive oil (potatos from the garden), salad from the garden, olive oil from the stores.... Fucking best meal I ever had, take it to my grave.

Fuck me that sounds incredible. Great, strong, natural flavours that need nothing to lift them up. Would murder for that. 

Weirdly enough, despite my knowledge and love of hot meat in my mouth, I'm still pretty much a vegan / veggie 90% of the time. I only eat meat and stuff when I eat with others, purely for simplicity and not having to prepare meals for 2 different people. Ate out with a Spanish friend yesterday which is amazing because Spaniards (especially ones from the northern countryside) will pretty much eat anything - in addition, dude was a chef for 15 years. We had duck intestines, beef stomach and pigs brains in Sichuan hotpot. Was....so fucking good. Pig brains might be my favourite "meat" outside of certain types of liver and rack o' lamb / oxtail etc.
  • The stores of olive oil I refer to are literally three large vats in the living room, by a sort of low lying pantry which is where they would have put the animals in the old days - the ones that can't take handle the snows. You go in the vat, grab ladle full of olive oil. That olive oil is the fucking bomb. I go to Paris every year to get something close to it.

Everything in that meal, except the salt, is local. The tomatoes are bursting with flavour. It's depressing how devoid of taste tomatoes are now.
  • Jelly as fuck.

Used to get milk that way - wait a couple of hours until after milking was finished the let the milk be chilled to fuck, then go with jugs to the farm, lift the lid on the vats, and then dip and scoop the jugs. If you left that milk in the fridge for more than a day a thick layer of cream (about one or two inches think) would form on the top. Bliss.
  • A bygone age, sadly. We're all quite seriously fucked.

In 1995 we visited a farm, went to a BnB. My dad after that stopped buying lamb - organic wasn't really an option in the 90s in London even. The lamb's droppings looked like miniature soft human shits, almost diarrhoea. Not the neat little round balls. It was unnerving. What do they feed them ffs?

• All because profit. All for numbers. We should eat less meat, and when we do eat meat, it should shit little round balls of grass.
  • This is all reg's fault
  • This is all reg's fault

Agreed.
  • A brand like yamazaki selling a single malt and claiming it was Japanese when it wasnt would ruin their brand. If their competitors had evidence they were doing that wouldn't they tell everyone that would listen?

I dunno, my friend was pretty categoric - and I think he mentioned a single malt that Scots sent over there, some pathetic cosmetic shit happened, and it came back Japanese and expensive. that blog is just what I could find out there when I googled it.

Understand that Japan isn't like that, competitors don't do you in, there is an honour code and the main companies are all at it. And major international alcohol distributors - there are very few - also profit from an extra Japanese brand. Plus they send them the Scottish malt in volume, so the supplier makes money's.

Speaking to this friend made me realise the alcohol market is much less about product than marketing. What sells is the idea of the product, the brand. The idea of the Japanese single malt can be sold at a much higher price than a Scottish one that doesn't have a hallowed brand.

You start with the target market. Who do you want to sell to? What's their budget? What does the research show. Then you make the product. It's almost a fucking afterthought, the product is driven by th margins they seek to sell to the person they target.

It's so obvious but my mind was blown.

• It's like Mad Men, basically, but slapping arses gets you fired now
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's like that over here. The missus' mam has a garden with all fresh fruit you just pick, pickled everything, homemade alcohol, oils, milk, fresh off the animal meat, homemade bread. fucking incredible. Their pantry and larder is stocked full
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They also have buses called Fanny so I'm moving
  • It's like Mad Men, basically, but slapping arses gets you fired now

Political correctness gone mad!
    It's like that over here. The missus' mam has a garden with all fresh fruit you just pick, pickled everything, homemade alcohol, oils, milk, fresh off the animal meat, homemade bread. fucking incredible. Their pantry and larder is stocked full

Yeah, my da’ does that now that he’s retired. Has a huge fuck-off garden full of everything from cabbages, potatoes, tomatoes etc. to grapes and figs. It all gets eaten fresh or turned into some type of picked veg / chutney / preserve. Food is out of this world.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!