Fire Emblem: Three Houses (26th July, Switch)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It does feel like and everything or nothing game that also happens to be good. I remember a number of other people saying the same around fates.
  • I put it down for a few weeks and have no started again on ng+. 

I do not like my new children.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm at the start of chapter 16, after 60-70 hours and I must say I'm slowly losing interest. I'm not really feeling it where they're going with the support conversations, and the non battle things are taking up too much time now. Doesn't help that it doesn't run very smoothly.

For the battles, I'm missing the weapon triangle, and the rewind function is a bit too good. Battles are taking more turns now, so that's good, and I have used the rewind a couple times now.

I enjoyed the characters in Awakenings a lot more, if I'm ever gonna do a replay of Three Houses with a different house, I don't think I'll bother with recruiting and just do auto everything's-that-possible.
  • The second half is weird. After all the intrigue and politics in the first half, there's really just nothing to it except the battles themselves. All the systems they created around the monastery become virtually redundant.
  • I don’t want to really be on some pile on backlash because it feels like a disingenuous stance for someone who put in 150hr or so in the game but. There is this weird sense that while everything changes in five years it also doesn’t in the most bizarre ways. Like- seeds I planted have managed to bear fruit after five years. Or trivial conversations have follow ups (one where two people talk about a fight that happened in a previous shopping trip that happened five years before).
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's not a real backlash is it? Think Jon said it's best, it's mainly weird.

The story has progressed (apart from some support, like you mentioned), but the mechanics are still stuck in earlier years.

Still enjoying it, but I'm also ready for the story to end. I'm still hoping they'll go all out crazy anime with The Immaculate One.
  • Should I let Lorenz die? He's the absolute worst.

Got five or six of his support vignettes to watch with other classmates and I think I'd rather just kill him off.

I'm still very early in a golden deer run.
  • Everyone who is worst ends up better.
  • He wants to have a "constructive and candid exchange of opinions" with Lysithea.

I can't deal with this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Debate him in the marketplace of ideas.
  • I quite liked Lorenz in the end. He's still a bit of a cunt, mind.
  • Lorenz comes good, but I had the same temptation initially. Currently keen to kill off Felix in my new run as he's a right prick to everyone.
  • I just made Felix my Dancer.

I'd recruited him to the Black Eagles and all he'd talk about is "The Boar Prince" and I don't think I was ever told who that was.
  • It’s
    Spoiler:
  • I thought it must be but there was no context for it too make any sense
  • Started playing this a few days ago and fuck is there a lot of busywork. More than Fates even, but not as mind numbing (yet).

Went with the black eagles first and on hard/classic. Levelling is slow, lost items are supposed to be an exercise in meeting people but you cant find out their backstories any more or view profiles for people outside your squad? And inventory management is slow, unit differentiation is non existent so far.

Not the best early impressions but the combat when you actually get to it is still generally interesting (fuck that knight though). RIP weapon triangle.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nothing more trying than reinforcements arriving mid battle in a long winding maze. And bonus never before hinted at boss at the end!
    Spoiler:

The rewind function is great though, far better than reloading an entire battle where the bottleneck or challenge comprises less than 10% of the overall event.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • First round of DLC dropped the other day. Includes a other higher difficulty mode.

Not tried it, stalled a little about halfway through second playthrough.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • I did a mission last night which was a mid month excursion off to a previous location. Loaded it up and there are six or more wolves, eagles, a giant boar thing and they called for reinforcements twice at least.

Pretty satisfying win.
  • Sometimes it feels like the entire point of the beasts is to collect weapon material. Makes the things a bit more challenging when you have to partially focus on whittling rather than straight up bashing.
  • I think Im getting clearer on why I liked Awakening more than Fates and Echoes, and Three Houses does the same thing: it starves you of battle side stories so you always feel short of money, experience or resources.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Haven't played for two weeks but can't say I'm itching to go back to it. Think I'm at chapter 16 in a Black Eagles - Edelgard run, so should probably try and finish it.

Hoping for some crazy twists towards the end. Only played Awakenings and the story in the ramped up nicely, this feels like it has stalled a bit in the second half.
  • The first bit goes for 12 chapters I assume. I think I just did 11 and some things happened.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Could be, I forgot when part 2 started but if a lot happened you're probably not far off.

I'm at the second weekend in chapter 17 now, slowly making my way through it. I still enjoy the actual battles, but everything between that isn't all that. I should save up and get one of the GBA games at some point.
  • Not a bad plan. Also the wii and GC games are simple as far as between mission faffing about is concerned. Some of the busy work is inane.

• Major choices sneak right up on you. Hope I have the backup save for the alternative.
  • Turns out I stumbled onto the least likely route in the game.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think I'm at the end now. Was looking up total chapters and
    Spoiler:

Bit sad that I don't get a chapter between my last two for a bit of grinding. Some of my characters are close to being able to go master rank (I'm maxing advanced first) and it looks like I won't be able to do that. All that time put into planning classes and making spreadsheets and I can't use any of it.
  • Im on ch16 of that path now. It does go rather quickly and its kind of easy too (hard, classic).
  • Final map looks intimidating.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!