Fire Emblem: Three Houses (26th July, Switch)
  • Imo I’ve come up to a real tension when recruiting people to my house.

There’s obviously the desire to get all the people I liked in my first run to be in my new house and then I can hang with them. But I think it comes with the cost of worse support levels with other characters that are in your native house. At the very least there isn’t enough time to train and level everyone properly.
    The other thing:
    Spoiler:
  • Imo I’ve come up to a real tension when recruiting people to my house.

There’s obviously the desire to get all the people I liked in my first run to be in my new house and then I can hang with them. But I think it comes with the cost of worse support levels with other characters that are in your native house. At the very least there isn’t enough time to train and level everyone properly.
    The other thing:
    Spoiler:
  • A lot of the newest recruits are just going to sit in the roster. There's no time to develop everyone. But it'll still be a nice contrast to my first run
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm at A Point. I am worried about what is going to happen next.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I don't know how you're all getting through the story so quickly. I'm 30+ hours in and at the end of chapter 8 I think.

I did get Manuela and Ashe on my team yesterday, and rejected Hanneman by accident. Maybe I should go for the old people instead of the red heads. I can't make a full team of red heads anyway. Plus the best one seems to be unrecruitable...
    Spoiler:

How do people decide what class to put people in? Do you actually look at stats and decide what would fit best? Or go with how they look in the preview screen?
    Also, if you've mastered a class, and want to learn a second one in the same grid, will you still be able to use the skills you've learned? My character is a thief, and I've mastered it, but don't have enough weapon points yet for the assassin class. If I switch to another in the thief grid, can I still use lockpick?

I'm considering going bow - magic - flying only, although I'll miss Caspar and his naked shoulder.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Also, does it matter how high your motivation is when going into battle?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I decide on class based on what I think they are like and the mix of units I want. So at least one healer and a mage etc. Have you looked at the Roster in the main menu? This will give you background on your house characters which you could use to guide your decisions.

I think motivation is used to recruit and to aid in instructing students. So higher motivation is more stuff they can learn. Not sure it directly impacts in battles.

The key thing between battles is to have all the support convos between characters as this raises buffs when those characters are close together in battle.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I always listen to the support convos if I can, don't really see the effect in battle though, it was way more obvious in Awakening.

I've checked the Roster plenty of times. I was just curious, I think there are growth lists online, that have figured out which stats go up the highest for each character, but I've also seen people wanting to go bow only for example. There are even people that disliked certain characters so they killed them on purpose.
    I like themed groups, but haven't really worked towards it yet. Being able to still recruit characters makes it a bit more annoying. 

I'm at the start of chapter 8 now
    Spoiler:

Also end of chapter 7 thoughts, possible spoiler for something that could happen in the future 
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree with your thoughts on the last spoiler. I don’t know and am only just a bit ahead of you. Took a break to play some Spire.

As for the support I’ve only really noticed it obviously for Gambits.

And for character classes I’m just going with the style of the character and what I think. Not really bothered about trying to match the best stat etc.
  • Nina wrote:
    How do people decide what class to put people in? Do you actually look at stats and decide what would fit best? Or go with how they look in the preview screen? Also, if you've mastered a class, and want to learn a second one in the same grid, will you still be able to use the skills you've learned? My character is a thief, and I've mastered it, but don't have enough weapon points yet for the assassin class. If I switch to another in the thief grid, can I still use lockpick? I'm considering going bow - magic - flying only, although I'll miss Caspar and his naked shoulder.
    Mostly I choose to make them whatever I need, but it's worth looking at their stats and which skills they'll learn quickly. No point turning a healer into a brawler, for example, because they won't have the strength to do any damage.

It's also worth thinking ahead to how you want each character to end up. Some might stop at an advanced class, while others you'll take to a master class. For those, you'll likely need to start levelling up a third ability in good time. Like you can have mounted archers, healers and magic users, but they'll need decent lance proficiency as well as riding and their main weapon skill.

And no, you won't be able to use lockpick when you change from being a thief. It's one of the class specific abilities that appears in the 3 windows on the character info screen which can't be changed, rather than one of the abilities you can switch in and out once you've learned them.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bloody people and their well thought out answers ;-)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I just had a look at the master classes. I like the dress the duo magic user will get (forgot the class name). That will be for my Dorothea. No need to work on that reason much more now she knows meteor, time to do some faith research (which also might have been her skill with the 3 triangles, so could be fun).

Need to have a better look tomorrow, there were quite a few where I already had 1 of the 3 skills at the required level, so it's probably worth to study the other 2.

I noticed I couldn't use lockpick on an archer, but steal was an option. So there are some things that are transferable between classes. I do remember reading about Awakening, and how you could level to you learned a certain skill, then switch class for the second skill etc. Some really powerful combinations, but I never really tried it out while playing. Learned about that option too late.

So, I just had an event that happened during a weekday in December
    Spoiler:
  • It's often worth waiting a while before promoting units until they've maxed out their current class, because they'll get an extra ability or combat art, and some of them are very powerful.

You can see how close you are by looking at the class menu and highlighting your current class, or when you get XP in battle. And once you've maxed it a little star will appear next to that class.

Most of my units maxed out their beginner classes at around level 12, and their intermediates at 22, so you shouldn't have to delay the promotion long. One of the reasons recruited units are usually weaker is that they don't have these transfered abilities from previous class tiers.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There's an event for this in Tetris 99 at the mo where you can get a theme.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Motivation also encourages students to attend lectures.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pff lectures. I've hardly done any (or do you mean the weekly stuff and not the seminar). So far I've usually done explore on the first weekend, and then battle in the other 2, I enjoy the paralogue battles quite a bit.

@Jon yeah I've got a couple of classes maxed, none of the beginner though as I can't remember seeing skills there. I'll take a closer look today.
  • Seminars, sorry. Occasionally use them, but mainly battles and exploration.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A hacker has managed to set up tea parties with
    Spoiler:
  • Bet it's murder getting a perfect conversation there.
  • Ooh, I’d give [that person] a good staring at!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I got a perfect tea time the other day and selected creepy option. If any people are fapping to that I feel sorry for them.
    Spoiler:
  • I don't think a game has ever made feel so conflicted about my choices before. Generally loving & loathing it in equal measures & have had to call it a night as I mull over reverting back to a previous save as I don't want to really throw more hours at the same house & play both saves out when free time is a premium, there are other other houses to play & other games are out soon.

Was feeling like I had made the right choice & a choice I would probably make in real life(which is generally how I play a 1st run)& until a certain character joined the fray that made me question said choice.

Love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Got the the start of the first month today, and there were definitely some emotional scenes before that.
    Spoiler:
    ^has spoilers up till the start of the first month, and some speculation.

Heh, just read that the Western voice actor for Hubert is the same as Akechi in Persona 5. I played that with the Japanese voices but I'm curious now. Wish I could play FE with Japanese voices as well, as while I appreciate that everything is voice acted, not all of it is very good.
  • Pretty sure you can switch to the Japanese VO in this. I was tempted but there's something endearingly ropey about the English dub that gives me nostalgic tickles; it's like growing up watching anime on Cartoon Network.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I can't change the voice of my lads now, especially now that
    Spoiler:
    has gone full blown anime broody character.
  • Into the second part. The battles are so much better. Had to use a few rewinds to get through the first couple and relying on powerful weapons/units much more.

But the other side of that - even with all the recruits I've got - is how pointless the monastery stuff seems now. There really isn't anything worthwhile to do.
  • Not using some of your recruits of course leaves them underlevelled when they have a paralogue side quest and you have to use them. Just did one with 2 characters I had to protect all the way through and it was really quite difficult. But this is finally turning into the kind of FE I love, where you really have to be prepared and consider all your options.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And there it is. First run through - blue - done.

Quite an ending.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Got my waifu too
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!