The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I'm sat halfway between enjoying it a little and giving up on it.

Sure the game does look nice, but the combat is a little dull; specifically the shooting mechanism.  I feel like there's no impact to the shots.  I do like lifting and throwing enemies, but even then I'm finding that a little dull after about 8 levels or so.

Another problem from my perspective is the repetitive enemy design.  I feel like I've been shooting the same few characters since the first level.

They story is, in my opinion a little weak too.  Perhaps it will pick up in later levels, but it feels like a step back from what they managed with Alan Wake, which I loved to bits.

Anyhow, I picked it up for about £20 in an xBox sale and I suppose it's just providing value at that price point.
  • If the game is on significant discount i think it’s worth a try but I don’t think there’s a game big enough to fill it’s running time. It’s cheap (for the most part) on environments and makes you labour through those environments with combat constantly. It’s would be fun if the game invited experimentation but the enemies don’t change, the environment doesn’t change and I bet 90 percent of people used the exact same combat strategy - slam then shoot.

It’s telling when the final boss
    Spoiler:

The feeling I get is that there was more game intended but they just ran out of time and money. There’s a part where there’s a metroidvania aspect and you see a room blocked off by mushrooms. You realise you can go there when you get a mushroom power (because of games) but about 8hrs later you go in there and all there is is an item box.
  • I understand the complaints about the combat - though I didn't find it quite as repetitive as the similar quiet bits-fighty bits loop in Naughty Dog's games for instance.  The gun is certainly under-powered, but I feel like that's kind of the point of it - in most games you panic when you're out of ammo, in this one I panic when I have to resort to the gun. 

But yeah, I'll admit that having played through the whole game, side missions and both DLC I reached a point where walking into a room and having it fill with enemies induced a sort of resigned sigh, because what I really wanted to do was wonder round the house seeing what other weird stuff I could uncover.  (That said, there's still a certain satisfaction from hitting an unsuspecting monster over the back of the head with a photocopier, before launching it at someone else.)

I'd also agree that it all felt a little unfinished at the end, and whilst the DLC doesn't resolve this at all, I guess it does slightly contextualise it.
    Spoiler:
    Despite all that I did genuinely enjoy strolling around that shifting lump of concrete looking for whatever strange gifts it wanted to throw up next. The main story is a little slight, but there's a fair sized rabbit hole of stuff you can get into once you start digging into the various bits and pieces scattered about the building. It's those details, more than anything else, the sucked me in, and kept me playing.
  • I think I have a particular mindset that likes things to be “done” in an area - so I won’t move on in mario galaxy before I have got 100% - before I move on so I’m not exactly the best audience for this. While I can imagine someone digging the perpetual tension.
  • Just started this, its got a Shining (movie) vibe to it at times. Wierd so far. Like her inner narrative though
  • So for a laugh i turned on one kill hit. Came to a boss i think. He had an energy bar. Well my first shot ended that battle. Lol.
  • Got to Central Research. The map is one of the worse in videogame history. Probably better not to have one at all and just use the ingame signs to get around.

Not feeling this so far. Will play somemore tomorrow and see of it improves...
  • Got to the bit where im off to free my brother. Game feels abit boring and mediocre in my opinion. I may not go back to it again. I would have thought with the setting and premise it would be right up my street but im going through the motions.
  • Think I might be nearly done with this. It’s very pretty and I see why people like it but...I’m bored. I just don’t enjoy combat in Remedy games and it’s a real shame as I love the way they design worlds and tell stories.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The combat got a lot better for me once I got the rocket launcher and enough mods to spam it. Crashed the ps4 a couple of times in asset heavy arenas though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The machinegun is so bad you wonder why it's there.
  • Fired this up as it’s on Plus. Yeah it looks nice. No I don’t want to play it again though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's weird one, the case files, the creepy setting, the ideas are all solid, but the pee-pee gun combat is what let's it down. I'd just want unlimited poweeeerrrr to keep throwing stuff around.

Best part of the shooting is going into a big office and slowly breaking apart stuff and watching the physics at work.
  • The Ashtray Maze makes it all worthwhile
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its mint with k&m
  • I loved it, but it’s definitely over for me now...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The Ashtray Maze makes it all worthwhile

Is that?
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Is that?
    Spoiler:

It's the bit where
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Is that?
    Spoiler:

It's the bit where
    Spoiler:

That’s just the game!
  • I dunno. Even with all the shiny I just don't like this game. The combat is rubbish, as are the enemies. All the explosive particle effects are well over the top and navigating the house is just annoying. She runs like a pleb too. I don't get the love for the game at all.
  • Agree on combat and enemies.

I actually really like the navigation though. The map is shit, but I like the use of signage and the way the game expects players to observe as they go through areas.

I wish it was a little bit more like Prey, though, where they actually let you figure cool stuff out and sequence break to your hearts content if you were smart. Maybe that’s possible but I’m finding many of the critical path routes to be quite prescribed and for me it’s always a shame when games give you crazy powers and not let you experiment with them.
  • I think this is just the equivalent of a 6/10 sci-fi film that you've never heard of but fancied something atmospheric and semi easy to watch. It's not doing much new, but it's scratching an itch for me atm.
  • Unlike those films though it’s 30hrs.
  • I'm with Chalice on this and after enjoying Quantum Break I was really disapointed.

There needed to be more Ashtray Maze moments. That section is so well conceived but it highlights how derivitive and unimaginative the rest of the game is.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I dont get how it reviewed so highly across the board. Agree that it would have been better if it was more like Prey.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I watched Scanners on Monday for the first time. Bit shit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    I dont get how it reviewed so highly across the board. Agree that it would have been better if it was more like Prey.

Ray tracing

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Is that?
    Spoiler:

It's the bit where
    Spoiler:

Didn’t get that far. May do in t’future.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I preferred this to what I played of Prey.

Opinions, eh?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!