Control - PC/PS4/Xbox
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    When it comes to FBI person investigating some spooky occurances. Deadly Premotion is far more enjoyable to this. The writing is much better.

But there's more to a game than its writing

That is true, i just prefered the quirkiness of DP. Control just felt bland. Interesting building, like the 80s videos. Gameplay is just dull. Something about it is off. Maybe it would have been better as more of a celebral puzzler than an action game.

Or it needed another 3rd party introduced into the game. I dunno.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I had to get rid of Control on bone as it was literally unplayable. I've now got the PS5 version at 60fps with the shiny and it doesn't make the game any better really. Certainly smoother but it's still wank.

You’re playing it wrong. Uninspired and repetitive encounter design is better on M&K.

That’s cos you’re always looking at the keyboard not the screen.
  • Cinty, I’d recommend ignoring the Jukebox stuff as it’s not part of the main game as far as I remember? it was just a free update added for post-game content I think?

Anyway, not loads to say other than I enjoyed it as a solid third person game. Suffers from a lot of the same issues Remedy tend to have with their games, but I liked the aesthetics a lot and the combat felt good (most of the time). I enjoyed the narrative that unfolded, the SCP influenced weirdness, and a few of the set pieces.

To complicate the setup stuff, i played it on PC without RTX and with a pad, and found it fine.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fucking hell cinty. I'm oooot for the day.
  • Fucking hell cinty. I'm oooot for the day.

Feel that’s more how a thing is being read - not jabbing at you, I assure ya.

Stand by what I wrote a bit ago:
    Like it all you want, but I think to put bouncing off it down to frame rate / controls is disingenuous.

Not when that was my experience but okay.

And that’s fine - different strokes, innit. Said earlier in the thread - I’m glad people like Remedy games. I see the quality in what they do. They’re just not for me.

• It’s all good, bud.
  • Or give your head a wobble. Whichever is better.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    When it comes to FBI person investigating some spooky occurances. Deadly Premotion is far more enjoyable to this. The writing is much better.
    But there's more to a game than its writing
    That is true, i just prefered the quirkiness of DP. Control just felt bland. Interesting building, like the 80s videos. Gameplay is just dull. Something about it is off. Maybe it would have been better as more of a celebral puzzler than an action game. Or it needed another 3rd party introduced into the game. I dunno.

My thoughts too. I like the setting and atmosphere, but I think one thing that is defo "off" is the NPC characterisation, animation and dialogue. It's woeful. No-one is believable and behaviour is completely bizarre. I was thinking this all might be explained by a twist at the end so I might persevere with it (am about 80% done I reckon) but not getting hopes up. Enjoyed the rare puzzle sections.

Other issue for me is the combat. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. I think it's been said many times already, so no need to rub salt in! Loads of games have repetitive combat, but if devs nail the combat system and give it depth then it won't wear you down (e.g. Ghost of Tsushima).
  • I'm intrigued as to what people like about the game. I mean loads of people like it, but I'm not sure why. It feels very third rate to me. The story is bobbins, her internal monologues are cringe, as is most of the dialogue of the supporting cast. I find the setting drab and samey and her erratic and scattershot movement about the place is bordering on comedy. The perks and guff you collect that you have to faff about with and delete all the time in the menus are also unnecessary. Design by committee. Someone put that shit in there purely because other games have that shit and they thought it needs to be in this game. Totally pointless.

First up, I get what people don't like.  The combat takes a bit of warming to, and the enemies aren't wildly varied.  (Though I still had a lot of fun with it.  The main thing I found was that I had to accept that the gun isn't the weapon.  In most fights it is, at best, punctuation.  A means to buy yourself a bit of time whilst you fire up the good stuff again.  The "good stuff" however, is sometimes really good.  Ripping up a desk towards you, smacking an enemy over the back of the head with it, before firing it into another, never got old for me.  YMMV.  But I absolutely accept, if you're wanting gun play, you're going to be very disappointed.  My advice for anyone playing the first time is put all your upgrades into Launch at the outset.)

I also get that the game doesn't help itself by burying the story in files, which you then have to stop and read, via an insanely unhelpful menu.  

If you go through the game shooting things, and getting the story from Jessie's internal monologue, than it's going to be no fun at all. (Which isn't necessarily how those who hated it played it, I appreciate.  You may have played just as I did, and hated it all the same.)

However - I really enjoyed those buried files.  The infuriating redactions, the cross referencing to games I haven't even played.  The hints of stuff to come, and the clues to the wider plot. I love the humour in it. - often subtle and under played, and occasionally just full on ridiculous.  (There is a moment of sheer unexpected silliness, dropped when you're not expecting it, which is one of my favourite moments in a game ever.)

I loved the building itself.  I liked being slightly lost, but always with a literal sign post. I liked it most when it was at its strangest, but also appreciated that Always Strange All The Time would have got old quickly.

I liked the janitor, and the kids TV shows, and the various objects, and That Thing Everyone Mentions, and the clocks, and the hotel, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't even nod towards because Spoilers. 

Don't get me wrong.  There were bits I hated - one boss in particular that was just plain stupid - and yes, sometimes when the room went red and another wave was incoming I found myself going "really?" and sighing slightly.  (However, it worth saying I feel that way in a lot of games these days.)  But the rest was enough to keep me interested and engaged right up until the very end, which was admittedly a bit of an anti-climax.  

(I played the jukebox once when it was released as DLC later and didn't bother again.)
  • I agree with Tin, and he’s a doctor.
    POP.

Person of Power.

Incredible.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I'm intrigued as to what people like about the game. I mean loads of people like it, but I'm not sure why. It feels very third rate to me. The story is bobbins, her internal monologues are cringe, as is most of the dialogue of the supporting cast. I find the setting drab and samey and her erratic and scattershot movement about the place is bordering on comedy. The perks and guff you collect that you have to faff about with and delete all the time in the menus are also unnecessary. Design by committee. Someone put that shit in there purely because other games have that shit and they thought it needs to be in this game. Totally pointless.
    First up, I get what people don't like.  The combat takes a bit of warming to, and the enemies aren't wildly varied.  (Though I still had a lot of fun with it.  The main thing I found was that I had to accept that the gun isn't the weapon.  In most fights it is, at best, punctuation.  A means to buy yourself a bit of time whilst you fire up the good stuff again.  The "good stuff" however, is sometimes really good.  Ripping up a desk towards you, smacking an enemy over the back of the head with it, before firing it into another, never got old for me.  YMMV.  But I absolutely accept, if you're wanting gun play, you're going to be very disappointed.  My advice for anyone playing the first time is put all your upgrades into Launch at the outset.) I also get that the game doesn't help itself by burying the story in files, which you then have to stop and read, via an insanely unhelpful menu.   If you go through the game shooting things, and getting the story from Jessie's internal monologue, than it's going to be no fun at all. (Which isn't necessarily how those who hated it played it, I appreciate.  You may have played just as I did, and hated it all the same.) However - I really enjoyed those buried files.  The infuriating redactions, the cross referencing to games I haven't even played.  The hints of stuff to come, and the clues to the wider plot. I love the humour in it. - often subtle and under played, and occasionally just full on ridiculous.  (There is a moment of sheer unexpected silliness, dropped when you're not expecting it, which is one of my favourite moments in a game ever.) I loved the building itself.  I liked being slightly lost, but always with a literal sign post. I liked it most when it was at its strangest, but also appreciated that Always Strange All The Time would have got old quickly. I liked the janitor, and the kids TV shows, and the various objects, and That Thing Everyone Mentions, and the clocks, and the hotel, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't even nod towards because Spoilers.  Don't get me wrong.  There were bits I hated - one boss in particular that was just plain stupid - and yes, sometimes when the room went red and another wave was incoming I found myself going "really?" and sighing slightly.  (However, it worth saying I feel that way in a lot of games these days.)  But the rest was enough to keep me interested and engaged right up until the very end, which was admittedly a bit of an anti-climax.   (I played the jukebox once when it was released as DLC later and didn't bother again.)

This is definitely in "you are playing it wrong" territory.

Have to admit I got bored of reading all of the documents I pick up. I don't bother now. Enjoy Dr Darling's videos though.
  • The game had that Astral Chain thing where they pad out a game with an “abstract environment”. It’s quite in interesting convention.
  • Finally finished. The ending seemed to drag but I'm still not sure what the actual ending is because the DLC kicked in automatically somewhere along the line!
    Spoiler:
  • That's where I truly began to loathe this game. The foundation level was the death knell for me. I thought the whole game was garbage tbh. The stand out moment was the Ashtray Maze and that was merely okay. The other stuff was just bobbins. The mirror bit and the other puzzle stuff was weak. The building itself is dull and drab. I've no idea where all this quality stuff lies in the game because I found it to be really dreary. I suppose the destruction of scenery was quite cool. I'm not gonna read through pages and pages of stuff to flesh this game world out. The whole premise was ridiculous.

Enemy design is probably the blandest I've seen in any major game for quite some years. Combat is very tedious and boils down to just throwing everything you've got at orange blobs until you run out of focus then shooting a bit, whilst sprinting about. The levitation is really bad, there's no upgrade to speed it up a bit - which is mind boggling, so you end up doing that silly little dash in the air everywhere. I'd go far enough to say that I think levitation actually makes the game worse.

The last level - the big red one where you float about shooting orange blobs - was just about the most awful end level to any game I've ever played.
  • I'll take that as a no then, lol.

Yeah, I feel like I'm in the same camp now. I found it too long and too repetitive and for the last few hours, I turned on one hit kills just so I could plough through to the end.

I think the central narrative was fine and I enjoyed the overall atmosphere, but I found a lot of the side quests tiresome and felt no real desire to complete them - but primarily because I knew I'd have to endure more of the same repetitive combat to complete them.

It's a shame, because initially I found flinging stuff about excellent and I was intrigued by the mystery of narrative, but like others here have said, the combat often feels like a hindrance. I wanted to get on with exploring and plucking away at the mystery, but then a battle ensues, I die and I'm whisked back to the last control point, which is often half hours progress ago. This just wore me down in the end.
  • kestla wrote:
    Finally finished. The ending seemed to drag but I'm still not sure what the actual ending is because the DLC kicked in automatically somewhere along the line!
    Spoiler:

I did Foundation as DLC months later and thought it was OK, but not spectacular.  It does expand quite a bit on what's going on with The Board, so I guess that's what you're missing.  (Though, as ever, it throws up more questions than it answers.)

The AWE stuff is pretty much more of the same, but certainly worth playing through if you're a fan of their previous games
    Spoiler:
  • tin_robot wrote:
    kestla wrote:
    Finally finished. The ending seemed to drag but I'm still not sure what the actual ending is because the DLC kicked in automatically somewhere along the line!
    Spoiler:

I did Foundation as DLC months later and thought it was OK, but not spectacular.  It does expand quite a bit on what's going on with The Board, so I guess that's what you're missing.  (Though, as ever, it throws up more questions than it answers.)

The AWE stuff is pretty much more of the same, but certainly worth playing through if you're a fan of their previous games
    Spoiler:

I did the AWE one, almost by accident. It was well integrated into the main game, so didn't realise it was DLC until I was half way through. Thought that was OK, but found the boss slightly tedious.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!