Le grand chien 3.0
  • Oh Davy ya gotta give S&P2 some time, better than the original imo
  • davyK wrote:
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is an excellent Wii Platformer too. It's a shame they forced the shake mechanic in there but it doesn't ruin the game or anything. Ivy the Kiwi came out super late and got ignored which is a shame. Nice little game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4tYwTp2Uk

Quoted for Page Turn.

The Wii had some good games, aye. But waggle and motion really wasn't a benefit to 9/10 games. It didn't make Mario Galaxy better, it didn't make Twilight Princess better, and it certainly didn't make Metroid Prime 3 better. In the worst cases it changed the pace and focus of the game, see Metroid, and was a hindrance that made games inferior to support a gimmick. 

My parents had a Wii and they enjoyed it - I certainly don't have anything against the console. But yeah...I can't think of that many Wii games that wouldn't have been better just by ditching the waggle entirely.
  • House of the Dead: Overkill was excellent, if slightly unsettling (I’m looking at you final boss!)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Motion control made Metroid Prime 3 much better. And Skyward Sword. Shame they weren't all that great anyway though.
  • Metroid Prime 3 was, imo, vastly inferior to 1 and 2. The motion aiming reduced environmental complexity and nudged Retro towards more linear environments with a combat heavy focus.
  • Any lightgun game.

Cool. But i'd rather buy a peripheral for a console than have an entire consoles catalogue built around a glorified lightgun.
  • Any lightgun game.

Cool. But i'd rather buy a peripheral for a console than have an entire consoles catalogue built around a glorified lightgun.

Which would be a great argument if it was up against a different console.

But it’s against the DS.

Wii wins
  • ...but Guitar Hero: On Tour.

Plus, and let's be honest now, Animal Crossing on the DS made Animal Crossing as a thing.
  • Any lightgun game.

Without the Wii remote, none of those games would exist though. It's fine to say you'd rather buy a peripheral, but the G-Con 3 had a total of 2 games for it. And the second one of those was a compilation which featured the first one. It's fairly clear that these games were only made because every single Wii owner could play them.
  • True. So, would I rather have Mario, Zelda and Metroid with motion controls, or fewer lightgun games with a console where a peripheral is required to enjoy them. I like lightguns, but if i really get a hankering for them I can find an arcade if I look hard enough. The former games are hard to replace, though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sections of Zelda Crossbow Training hinted at a new sub-genre. There were levels that let you move around a 3D environment using the nunchuck mounted on the gun shell with you aiming using the wiimotes point functionality. It was highly entertaining playing that way.

I remember one of the FPS games ported to Wii used that scheme as option - may have been one of the COD games.

If the Wii had supported HD graphics its control scheme would have been a genuine alternative to twin sticks and keyboard+mouse. It impacted on me because I don't get on with twin stick FPS style games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • House of the Dead: Overkill was so god-damn laugh out loud funny that it justifies the Wii’s existence on its own.

I know it’s a cliché of an opinion, but I think the Wii had a genuinely democratic effect on gaming. My Mum bought one, for fuck’s sake.
  • Never played Crossbow Training, but heard good things. Probably should give it a go, sometime.
  • True. So, would I rather have Mario, Zelda and Metroid with motion controls, or fewer lightgun games with a console where a peripheral is required to enjoy them. I like lightguns, but if i really get a hankering for them I can find an arcade if I look hard enough. The former games are hard to replace, though.

No they’re not.

The GameCube had what in some people’s opinions are better versions.

All of which are available to play on the Wii without motion controls.

With the exception of Galaxy which was built around and only exists because of the controls.

So you get the best of both worlds.

AND light gun games.

It’s a fucking marvel I tells ya.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never played Crossbow Training, but heard good things. Probably should give it a go, sometime.

Lovely little score attack game. It doesn't amount to much but it's dirt cheap. There's quite a bit of shooting gallery stuff albeit nicely presented but in places it hints at what could have been done with the control scheme - amounting to an on-rails / 3rd person hybrid that could have been expanded to something else.
    No they’re not. The GameCube had what in some people’s opinions are better versions. All of which are available to play on the Wii without motion controls. With the exception of Galaxy which was built around and only exists because of the controls. So you get the best of both worlds. AND light gun games. It’s a fucking marvel I tells ya.

Wait, are we including GC back compat here?
    I still think about this video regularly

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    True. So, would I rather have Mario, Zelda and Metroid with motion controls, or fewer lightgun games with a console where a peripheral is required to enjoy them. I like lightguns, but if i really get a hankering for them I can find an arcade if I look hard enough. The former games are hard to replace, though.
    No they’re not. The GameCube had what in some people’s opinions are better versions. All of which are available to play on the Wii without motion controls. With the exception of Galaxy which was built around and only exists because of the controls. So you get the best of both worlds. AND light gun games. It’s a fucking marvel I tells ya.

Pikmin and RE 4 benefited from the control upgrade.

There's a Mario Soccer game that works really well too.

The Mario Tennis redux was a bit of a dumb down though.
  • Forgot about RE4. But I'm also one of those people that doesn't like RE4. I've bought it 3 times, for some reason.
  • Wait, are we including GC back compat here?

It was physically built in to and hence was one of the selling points of the original launch console.

Would seem churlish to ignore it.
  • Wait, are we including GC back compat here?
    It was physically built in to and hence was one of the selling points of the original launch console. Would seem churlish to ignore it.

I get that. But...then any console with decent back compat will always win again the previous console, no? My original DS has GBA back compat. So...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Guitar Hero 5 on Wii had an exclusive roadie battle mode. It was 2 versus 2 and used the DS linkup feature. You had two teams - each made up of a guitar player and a roadie on the DS.

The DS player interacted with the game to either help his guitarist or hinder the other team's guitarist. An ignored yet wonderful little side mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGz435RNCTk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think for the purposes of this we should ignore BC.
  • But...then any console with decent back compat will always win again the previous console, no?

Not necessarily. Maybe the back compatibility is badly implemented? Maybe the newer console tries to do too many things and fucks up the experience? Maybe the the newer console has a worse controller? (Especially where handhelds are concerned – button placement could ruin things).
  • Guys, the fucking video
    I still think about this video regularly

YES!
  • Guys, the fucking video

Hahaha, way ahead of you.
  • Srsly, the fucking video.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!