• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The pyrotechnic attack is very useful.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I think for the purposes of this we should ignore BC.

That'll be interesting when we come back around to the Bone.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyway, closing time 6pm. Just on a rough scan I think this one will be close.
  • davyK wrote:

I refuse.

• I’m also going to say DS again because I bloody love portable gaming.

Besides can we just admit that the Switch is the king and end this?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    That'll be interesting when we come back around to the Bone.

Exactly. I'm ok with controllers, hardware design, services, games etc. 

But back compat?

Then surely PS2 = PS1 + PS2. That's insane. If we argue PS2 I'm not gonna say that PS2 is great because you can play FF7 on it.
  • Retroking had a PS3 that also played PS1 and PS2 games, I'll vote for that even though PS2 didn't do much for me.
  • I also have a launch PS3. So, yeah...
  • So, PS3 wins everything yeah? All Playstations from 1 up until the 4 arrives. 

It has Uncharted 2, and Shadow of the Colossus and Final Fantasy 7.
  • Exactly. I'm ok with controllers, hardware design, services, games etc. 

But back compat?

Then surely PS2 = PS1 + PS2. That's insane. If we argue PS2 I'm not gonna say that PS2 is great because you can play FF7 on it.

Mine won’t play Legend of Dragoon at all.

I have three.

None of them work because it was a piece of shit.

Same goes for for the original 360.

Worst designs ever.
  • BC comes under 'welcome additional feature' for me, it's always nice to have and neither Sony nor MS offering it was the main reason I sulked so hard before entering this gen a couple of years late. Not sure it'd sway my vote on any specific console match ups though. Depends how close it is I guess.
    I have three. None of them work because it was a piece of shit. Same goes for for the original 360. Worst designs ever.

Cool. My 360 RRoDed. But my PS3 is going strong. I had 2 Dreamcasts fail. But I love my Dreamcast. PS3 failure rates put it somewhere in the middle as not exceptionally reliable or unreliable. I redid the thermal paste a year back and that's it. 

That's not an argument for or against Back Compat.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ... can we just admit that the Switch is the king and end this?

Sexist and wrong, nice.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Including BC is stupid. Cinty knows.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm absolutely fine with it, it's just if memory serves it was a big part of the Xbox argument. What about gamepass giving 360 games ?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Including BC is stupid. Cinty knows.

It's a feature, stupids.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I’ve had a few DSes. I had the original (possibly the ugliest handheld ever), a black lite, and a petrel 3DS. I’ve got a funny feeling I maybe also owned an XL at some point. Maybe not.

They were all fine to play on, but they were shit as portables. The original, because you wouldn’t want to be seen in public with it. The latter ones because Nintendo were rubbish with battery usage in sleep mode. The ability Tom suspend a game by closing is neat in theory, but in practice meant frequently opening the DS to find that the game had drained the battery seemingly faster than it would have playing it.

The touch screen was a great idea to early. The size of the screen meant that it needed to be resistive, for accuracy, but that diminishes the aesthetic.

The Wii was... fine. I had two. The controller was less revolutionary than it gets credit for. The OS was awful. It had a lot of shit ports.

For all the great long lists of software that people are now posting in lieu of points, to me the whole experience of a console is a major factor, beyond the games. (Also, I’m seeing plenty of multiplat titles being used to bulk up those lists. Just, no.) Look at the number of times people ask for games they loved on other platforms to be released on Switch; it’s because the Switch is, for most (I see you, Cinty), a great user experience. It’s not something I associate with either the Wii or the DS. Yes, I was at family gatherings where everyone had a laugh with Wii Sports, but that’s not enough.

I dunno. This is a pretty uninspiring round. I’ll probably vote DS, just for the number of hours put into Animal Crossing or Pilotwings Resort, but if either of these consoles progress further than the next round, it’s a damning indictment of the medium.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There was a pilotwings on ds?!
  • ...but Guitar Hero: On Tour.
    I still think about this video regularly
    You just know that if I shouted ROCK OUT into the DSs microphone, it would launch 4OD.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Andy wrote:
    … if either of these consoles progress further than the next round, it’s a damning indictment of the medium.

I agree with Andy.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It's a feature, stupids.

It's a great feature for day to day usage. For a best of thread it's a crutch because the games designed for the console aren't good enough by themselves.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    … if either of these consoles progress further than the next round, it’s a damning indictment of the medium.

I agree with Andy.

I don't. I'm not going to reveal my answer if ntil after voting done by one of these two is my number 2 of the whole list and I think one of the most diverse and cool line ups ever.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    I agree with Andy.
    I don't. I'm not going to reveal my answer if ntil after voting done by one of these two is my number 2 of the whole list and I think one of the most diverse and cool line ups ever.
    regmcfly wrote:
    There was a pilotwings on ds?!

I'm guessing Wii.
  • Eh, was 3DS. Whatevs.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It's a feature, stupids.
    It's a great feature for day to day usage. For a best of thread it's a crutch because the games designed for the console aren't good enough by themselves.

Yep. It doesn’t feel in the spirit of the thread / what Reg is trying to do. As I think you mentioned before, there would be no point to the ‘competition’ cos the most backwardy compatible console would have a huge advantage.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Eh, was 3DS. Whatevs.

Yep, I suspect Andy might be conflating some 3ds stuff here which, to be fair, Nintendo didn't help with the naming. At least they righted that ship unlike their other one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Can people not just decide for themselves whether or not they think its worthy of consideration and factor that into their votes accordingly?
  • The Wii U was perfectly understandable. 

It was a 32-bit CD add-on for the mega-drive, right?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!