Le grand chien 3.0
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I would save Showgirls.

Gonna go see You Don't Nomi at the PCC I think.
  • nick_md wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Nes Batman is a good un. The Megamans.

Erm, Tetris.

Batman is the other go to, nearly clocked it last year, that ends boss tho (og cart). The soundtrack is great.

Don't normally do this but Batman NES is an all timer.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I've owned a PS4 since sfiv and played hardly anything. I've played as much NES on emu and and much more interested in watching vids of it. I watch and listen to TMNT (pack in for me) and Bucky O'Hare (great game, top tier ost) on the reg. It's clearly the worse console of the two, but somehow I love it (like how Showgirls is clearly awful but I fucking love it). NES it is don't @ me

Ahem, the unrated version of Showgirls is an awesome film, easily the equal of Starship Troopers.
  • I mean, it's such an awful film.
  • But I love it, clearly. Not sure I've seen the unrated version, will check dvd later...
  • Didn’t own a NES, but did have the opportunity to play a fair bit of Super Mario 3, which is an utterly amazing game.

However, PS4 has ALL the Yakuza games, and gives me the opportunity to play Rez in VR.

I vote PS4, please Reg.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    PS4 because, again, fuck Nintendo
  • NES is clearly important historically and was a whole different story in the US. Also the beginnings of Mario Bros, Zelda and Metroid of course. But it was kind of a non-event in the UK, with such a low profile presence, and therefore never really appealing. I've also never really taken to it as a retro option, due to the ugly graphical style.

PS4 on the other hand has become a real favourite. It's mostly just a matter of timing - I think there are just more great games around now than there were in the couple of generations before, especially with all the indies - coupled with its success, ensuring almost all those games find their way to it. As a machine it's a no nonsense solid performer, but with possibly the best library of games on any console ever.

PS4 then.
  • Reg has me on ignore confirmed. That's two rounds I've not gone on list for.
  • NES for me.

Going to it after the Atari 2600 was mind blowing. Super Mario Bros and the D-Pad were one of if not the biggest jump in gaming for me.

The only thing to equal that jump was the 3D revolution of the mid 90s.

Much like that generation it appears rough to people who didn't experience it at the time, which is understandable.

Games that spring to mind:
    Zeldas - yes even II
    Captain Skyhawk
    Rush N Attack
    Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden)
    Batman
    Super Marios - 3 is still my favourite 2D platformer
    Castlevanias - especially III
    Micro Machines
    Mega Man's
    Cobra Triangle
    Chip N Dale
    Duck Tales
    Double Dragon - especially II
    Excitebike
    Gradius
    Life Force
    Punch Out!
    New Ghostbusters II
    Probotector's
    Rad Racer
    RC PRO AM
    Rollergames
    Kung Fu
    Jackie Chans Action Kung Fu
    Konami Hyper Soccer
    Track & Field 2
    Turtles The Arcade Game
    Wrecking Crew
    Tetris

Blades of Steel
    Double Dribble
    Super Spike V'Ball
    Golf
    It was from those four games that I learnt the rules of each sport, because of that they hold a huge amount of importance to me.

Even it's popular but shit games like Turtles hold a special appeal.

Then there's Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley, they might seem crude and laughable now but shooting a gun at the screen and ducks dying at 8 years old was jaw dropping.

I've also still found old new gems such as Holy Diver and Shatterhand in recent years, and for that it gets a nod over the PS generation as playing something new on one of those is almost always awful. Early 2D > early 3D in that respect for sure.

It's on it way to a hiding against the PS4 on here which is fine, but for me it'll always be an easy contender for the top 4.

PS4 has been a disappointment for me after the PS3, which is not only my favourite Sony console but probably my favourite of the last 20 years.

VR is its saving grace, but I see a lot of the Wii in VR, both the good and the bad.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Vote ps4.

Nes has about three iconic games and a bunch of junk that is only nostalgically good. The NES also had a a pad which was basically hand damaging and the front loader (for the NES) was a bad design for aesthetic reasons.

Ps4 gets the nod on just being vanilla.
  • Omg The Witness. How could I forget that. PS4 so good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Having not owned either, I will give my vote to the one that has had the greatest impact on video gaming.

NES.
  • Don't know how to vote for this one.  The majority of the PS4 games I love are third party indie titles, so while I'd definitely vote for the generation as a whole ahead of the NES (what a time to be alive, it really is), I'm not sure about placing an individual console above it.  Yakuza 0, AstroBot and Uncharted 4 are the best of the exclusives for me, but Shatterhand punches them all in the face.

NES for me, for flimsy-ish reasons but it had genuine clout.
  • Nes
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    NES for me, for flimsy-ish reasons but it had genuine clout.

From an old Ninty fanboy to an old Sega fanboy...
    giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a89ab1481cdc099fdb4b5edb800c7e0455f4ba35c&rid=giphy.gif
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I blame the head to heads.  NES would lose out to all standalone Sega consoles.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I blame the head to heads.  NES would lose out to all standalone Sega consoles.

Damn straight.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Reg has me on ignore confirmed. That's two rounds I've not gone on list for.

I am so so so so sorry. I haven't meant this at all. Apologies, like genuinely.
  • I should probably start out by admitting that the NES didn’t really stand a chance of getting my vote. I didn’t have one as a child. In fact, the home computers were so dominant amongst my peers, I pretty much only ever saw NESes in the Argos catalogue. It wasn’t until the end of its lifespan that I saw one belonging to a friend of the family, and played Duck Hunt. My only real experience of it is the NES mini, and the games available with Switch Online. I’m glad to have access to them as historical documents, but they are of little entertainment now beyond satisfying curiosity.

So, the PS4. I should probably start this story by skipping back a generation and a bit.

As the PS2/Xbox era was drawing to a close, my friend and I were looking ahead; we wanted to both have the same console in the coming generation. He had a similar desire with his brother, so he was hopeful that the stars would align in that respect. At first it did; we all wanted a PS3. My friend was the first to be able to afford one, so in he plunged. Unfortunately for him, though, by the time either me or his brother were able to afford the upgrade, we had both shifted our intentions towards the 360. In my case, it was the console that most people on here were playing and, in his brother’s case, his actual, real life friends.

So it was that the majority of my videogames in that generation were on the 360. I didn’t get a PS3 until much later. Gradually, though, I played more and more of the PS3, and less and less of the 360. PS+ did a lot of the leg work in pulling me in that direction.

As the hype for the next generation began to build, I was largely undecided; I knew that there would probably be more opportunities for online multiplayer with folk from here on the Xbox One, but I was more likely to enjoy the PlayStation exclusives. However, in early November 2013 I went to the Gadget Show Live @ Christmas expo, and got hands on with both controllers. The XB1 pad just felt awful in my hands, with poorly placed shoulder buttons and triggers. The Dual Shocks felt as great as ever, and my mind was solidly made up. It did not look like I’d be joining the next gen quite yet, though. Finances and circumstances had not been great in the lead up, and I had not been able to preorder in time. By the time I felt able to commit, I had to settle for being on a vague reserve list.

The PS4 launched in he UK on Friday 29 November 2013. I consoled myself with the notion that it would be something I could look forward to in 2014, and there’d be more games then, of course.

Two days later, on Sunday 1 December, I was sitting in my pyjamas watching Spurs hosting Man U when I got a call from the Game in town. We’ve got PS4s available to buy. We’re calling the folk on the reserve list, but you can’t reserve one, it’s first come, first served. “I need to get showered, dressed, drive in, parked somewhere, and into the shop. There’s no way they’ll still have them,” I thought to myself. I think I sat through another ten seconds of the football match before engaging frenzy mode.

And so it was, about an hour later, sitting in my (illegally parked) car, I texted my mate a photograph of the contents of my Game carrier bag. I had gone for the box which included two controllers, the camera, and Killzone Shadow Fall.

Of course, though, the first thing I played was Resogun. Because, if the first thing you played on your PS4 wasn’t Resogun, you’re PS4ing wrong. What an absolute joyous blast that game was. I remember the first time the voice emanated from my controller, ‘Human lost’, genuinely thinking, “YES! This is the future!”

There are a whole host of games that I’ve played for hours and hours and hours on my PS4. A lot of them are multi-platform, so it feels like cheating to list them (although a shout out goes to Sleeping Dogs, which I had previously completed on the 360, and completed again on PS4). Those exclusives, though: marvelling at the rain effects, while losing whole evenings to single courses for forum TT challenges in DriveClub; revelling in the lore of The Order: 1886 and praying it was the first in a franchise; laughing, crying, and sweating my way through Uncharted 4; laughing, laughing and sweating my way through Ratchet & Clank; the unparalleled experience of isolation and exploration in No Man’s Sky; the inviting, crafted world of Horizon Zero Dawn; revisiting old friends in Uncharted: Lost Legacy; being the best ever version of my favourite ever superhero, Spider-man, with its frankly incredible realisation of web-swinging through Manhattan; the visceral combat of God of War with its eponymous hero’s apparently infinite different intonations of ‘boy’, each clearly communicating its subtle meaning in that one short word. And, to be honest, I’ve barely scratched the surface of Bloodborne, Nioh, the aforementioned Killzone Shadow Fall, inFamous Second Son, Matterfall,  Nex Machina, Helldivers, or Super Stardust Ultra. And I’m yet to complete P.T., on account of it being the scariest thing I have ever experienced.

All of this is wrapped up in a great user experience. I really like the PS4’s UI. The screenshots and video capture work in a way (along with the social media and SHARE factory) that makes capturing and sharing your experiences fun and engaging. Even simple things, like keeping the running of games and video apps separate (so that you can suspend your game, and use any number of Netflix, NowTV, iPlayer etc, then jump back into your game instantly) has been great for someone like me who has used the PS4 as their main source of TV for the majority of the time I’ve owned it.

I have, for some time, toyed with the idea of getting an Xbox One. I’d like to try Sea of Thieves (although I think that ship might have sailed, pun intended) and Forza Horizon 4, but more and more I’ve been thinking that I’d rather upgrade to a PS4 Pro, given how many games I have on there that I’m still really keen to spend a lot more time with.

Oh, and it’s one of the best looking consoles ever.

So, yeah. My vote is for the glorious, outstanding, joy-bringing, superior exclusive hosting slice of awesomeness that is the PlayStation 4.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Reg has me on ignore confirmed. That's two rounds I've not gone on list for.
    I am so so so so sorry. I haven't meant this at all. Apologies, like genuinely.

This apology is far too sincere for the inconsequential oversight.  Put me in twice for the Megadrive and we're even.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    PS4 by a mile. As an overall console experience Sony nailed it. You know you are into a winner when all people can complain about is a light on the pad. No one ever seemed to mentioned the scorching white light that shines in my eye with the Xbox One pad, but I digress. Games are great, UI of the dash is the best of most consoles (Switch is a close call) and until the X came along it had the power to spank the competition. The Pro, on a shiny 4K TV is even better and, with Destiny, I played more online than I have with any other console.

NES - prototype for the far superior SNES. Having forked out for the Nintendo Online pass I decided to play some of those games. Need not have bothered. If you have rose tinted glasses for the glory days keep em on and don’t replay these games.
  • Resogun is all I played on mine for weeks.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Great read, Andy. Cheers!
  • My tale of PS4 launch is losing my mind in HMV as it was the last launch they went in hard for and I had thirty bundles pre-ordered, phoning every customer and making sure they got exactly what they wanted, and about £15k of sales generated in one day. Worked 50hrs that week just to make sure it went smoothly.

I didn't get mines til a while later.
  • NES has more than three iconic games, dafuk
  • Ahem, the unrated version of Showgirls is an awesome film, easily the equal of Starship Troopers.

Finally, something I disagree with Kara on.

Also, I vote PS4.
  • I think you failed to count my vote for Wii but nevermind.

PS4 versus NES? Easy:

PS4

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!