Le grand chien 3.0
  • nick_md wrote:
    Thread is a weiner for me too.

This was meant as 'winner' but also 'weiner' like sausage dog. Hot dog. Big dog. Btw.

I like the thread, basically.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great post Andy.

But if you haven’t had a Switch rooftop party you haven’t lived. I’ll invite you to the next one!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    The Case for Switch

I’ve had a patchy history with Nintendo. I never owned one growing up. My Game Boy was bought very late in the game. I’ve owned all the handhelds since, but they didn’t rock my world. I bought an N64 and remembered every time I switched it on what a turd it was. I owned two Wiis during its lifespan but, again, it never gelled. Perhaps I was railing against the notion that it was a revolutionary controller (it wasn’t) but nothing I played really grabbed me. The WiiU was a joke as far as I was concerned. Just more Fisher Price nonsense from Nintendo. So, when I heard they were abandoning it and releasing another console, it was a Partridge shrug from me.

Then I saw some pre-release footage of Breath of the Wild, and my mindset changed. I had never been interested in Zelda games, but this looked interesting, looked fun. Then there was the launch announcement video for the Switch, and it looked incredible, roof-top parties aside. In a very short amount of time I went from, “I will maybe pick up a cheap Switch late in its lifecycle to play that Zelda game,” to, “I’m buying a Switch on day one, with that game, so help me.”

I probably couldn’t afford it when I bought it (anyone reading and retaining my lengthy posts in this thread will notice a running theme) but I had absolutely zero buyer’s remorse at any time afterwards. It came out a week after Horizon Zero Dawn launched on PS4, and BotW utterly vaporised my relationship with that game.

I know a lot of the indie stuff is available elsewhere, but the portability plus screen size makes it a great successor to the Vita as the place to play them, as far as I’m concerned. Stardew Valley is one of the games I’ve played the most, but I couldn’t have seen me getting so into it on other platforms; the intimacy and immediacy of the Switch sells it to me.

And, as for Nintendo’s first party stuff, it has come at a great time for me; as I get older, my enjoyment of the sort of thing they produce has greatly increased. Unfortunately I’ve never gelled with Splatoon 2, but the entire weekends I’ve lots to ARMS Party Crashes has more than made up for it.

I’ve heard complaints about the hardware, but I think the Switch is great. The shift from resistive to capacitive touchscreen makes a massive difference, imho, to the quality of the machine. The JoyCon have some nifty refinements of existing tech; HD rumble is incredible when it’s used well (hello to the balls in a box game of 1 2 Switch, and Golf Story) and the Pro pad is excellent.

On Friday I’ll start playing my second Zelda game, in the reworking of Link’s Awakening, and I cant wait to see BotW2.

I swear, I’ll never have a big enough SD card in my Switch. I love it so much.

The Case for PlayStation

Growing up, we had home computers. The ZX Spectrum was first. At out old house, it would only come out occasionally, and our parents gave us a choice: if the computer is set up, you don’t get to watch any TV. So, it was Chequered Flag or The A Team / CHiPs / Street Hawk / whatever. In 1986, when I was 7, we moved to a bigger house, and it got permanently set up in my brother’s room. The binary choice of TV or computer was replaced with strict time limits. Some time around 1988 or so, we replaced the Spectrum with an Atari ST.

I remember asking for a Game Gear one Christmas, and an Atari Lynx another Christmas. My mum always said we’d have to ask my dad, and my dad torpedoed it every time. There would be no games consoles in his house. It didn’t seem to matter to him that I rarely used the art or music packages and mostly played games, it was important to him that the option was there. (I got a Yamaha keyboard instead of a Game Gear, btw. I still can’t play.)

In 1996, I got a summer job working for my uncle’s company. £100 a week. Every day I would walk from my work to my mum’s office for a lift home, stopping at the Virgin Megastore and HMV to fill in the time until she finished. It was the Saturn that I loved first, but after a while it was the PlayStation demo units that took more and more of my time. Every Friday, I would be doing the same thing, but with my £100 pay packet in my pocket.

Once I had saved enough, there was one last step. I may have been 17 years old, and it may have been my money that I earned, but I was still living in my parent’s house, so I asked permission to buy a PlayStation. Reluctantly, my dad agreed.

Destruction Derby, Blast Chamber, Actua Soccer and Tekken (which won the coin toss with Battle Arena Toshinden) we’re amongst the first games to come home. Shockwave Assault and Assault Rigs followed very soon after. I had finished school, and this was the first time in years that evenings and weekends weren’t shadowed by homework, and I was diving headlong into videogames. My job was physical and outdoors, so it didn’t feel harmful to spend my full evening with my PlayStation.

Where FIFA is one of my most played games these days, I wasn’t a big fan of it back then. I usually preferred the Actua games and, latterly. This Is Football and Pro Evo.

I have so many memories linked to PlayStation. When people describe pouring over a recently purchased game’s manual in anticipation of actually playing, the first thing that comes to my mind is reading the Project Overkill manual on the bus home from town after uni one day.

Or, if talking about the building anticipation waiting for a game, reading about Bushido Blade before its release felt like a wait that would never end. I even bought Star Gladiator Episode 1: Final Crusade in an attempt to satisfy my hunger for a weapons-based fighter. It was a great game, but it didn’t quite scratch the itch. I also bought Shaolin while waiting for Wu-Tang Taste the Pain, and then never bothered with the latter, because the former turned out to be awesome.

Similar to the Bushido Blade hype I remember reading a preview of Colony Wars in Play magazine, at the kitchen table, just as clearly as I remember playing the game in the dark in halls of residence. That’s a game that stands up incredibly well, btw.

I was late to pick up my girlfriend for our first ‘date’ because I was playing Worms. I have great memories of playing Bishi Bashi Special with my girlfriend, or playing Final Fantasy VII while she had a post-sex snooze on my bed in halls.

I remember getting a lift into uni one Friday morning, listening to Newsbeat on Radio 1 as they talked about grand theft auto. “That’s not the new game your buying today, is it?” :D Yup!

When the manager of the tour company I worked for in Amsterdam wanted to get a games console in the semi-basement hang-out, PlayStation was the only option. It was seen as the cool console, when that felt like it mattered. A multi-tap and Crash Team Racing was a successful combo (although my girlfriend and I preferred Muppet Race Mania when it was just the two of us.

Rally Cross remains one of my absolute favourite racing games. As much as I loved the FlatOut games on PS2 and Xbox, they never lived up to the hours of my life I lost to Destruction Derby 2. (Wreckfest is the first game that looks like it might reach that bar.)

I missed an entire week of lectures after Metal Gear Solid was released. The hairs on my neck stood on end every time I loaded Medal of Honor.

I can still hear the voice samples of Die Hard Trilogy. I still love the explosive energy of One. I still don’t follow the opening of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

wipEout. Tomb Raider. G fucking Police.

I’m so sorry, Switch. I love you so much, but not quite as much as I love my PlayStation. I still play the games on Vita, on PS3, and on the PSone (with the attached screen). And I still bought a PlayStation Classic, for some reason.

I vote PlayStation.

A list of all the games I wanted to mention in my post:
    Spoiler:
    Looking back, I’m not sure aI left that many out...

QFPT
  • Somehow I knew Andy would go for PS. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Somehow I knew Andy would go for PS. :)
    Credit to the Switch, it provided one of the toughest opponents, in my mind. The PS1 has the benefit of being my first dedicated games console, and being the console that I had all through uni. I was slap bang in the middle of the demographic that Sony were selling to. Everything about it appealed to me, I suppose things could’ve been different had there been more worth playing on the N64 than just Wave Race 64, or if I’d stuck with my desire to be playing Virtua Fighter, which was the game I played most in HMV.

Interestingly (well, it’s interesting to me) this means that this:
    Early 3D does suffer a lot in that way. I had a reply to Davy ages ago that the forum ate which made that point, and compared to 8/16 bit games it lacks that visual charm. I can look past it, but appreciate many can't.
    doesn’t apply to me. I have no issue with how the PlayStation games have aged. I’ve got the readiest access to the NES and SNES on Switch, I’ve got a Vita with Retroarch to (re)visit other 8 and 16 bit titles, but when I play retro, I most often go back to original PlayStation titles. I deeply regret selling my OG PSP — dropping PSX disc images on there was a breeze. At least I’ve still got a PSone, PS2 and PS3 to play the collection of disc games I have. :)
  • Age probably does have something to do with it.
    I would have been 9 when the PlayStation was launched here. Literally no-none in my circle had a PS1 anywhere near launch. I am shocked it launched in 1994 elsewhere and 1995 here, It wasn't until 1997-1999 that  the kids at school started to get these consoles.
    I have hardly seen a PlayStation controller without analogue sticks, don't think I have ever held one. The only person I knew with a Playstation near launch had an older brother who was 19 at the time.
  • Probably the best day one for me. I had an account at one of those building societies that merged with another, which meant a sudden bonus of about £600, and this wasn't long before the PS came out. I was in there with the console, 3 games, 2nd controller and memory card on launch day.
  • Nice.

I had to wait a while for mine. My family didn’t buy expensive gifts and so I had to save for my PlayStation. I already had a gameboy and I liked that, but I didn’t really have that many games for it and I had no idea what was good at the time. Gaming wasn’t really a hobby and, a couple of games aside - Monkey Island on the family PC, for example - I hadn’t really seen games as much more than just toys.

I saved money over time and added some birthday money, then went and got a 2nd hand PlayStation and 3 second-hand games (it was that or one new game) from Electronics Boutique (I think).

I picked up Driver and Tomb Raider (the former because it was newish, and the latter because it was famous). I also rummaged around the 2nd hand bin and picked up a game with a white cover. Final Fantasy VII...I had heard it got amazing reviews, but I had no idea what it actually was. The cover was cool, though. Different. So, I picked that up on a punt. I mean, it had 3 discs! It had to be amazing.

After that, games were no longer toys.

For the older generation (my brothers, for example) gaming became a social thing. The PlayStation (although more the PlayStation 2) became a pre or post-night our thing. Relax, play some Fifa and go out. Or hit the club then come home and chill on the PlayStation.

Until then, games were, for me, kids taking turns on the mega drive. This was now part of a social ritual.

Many years later I was in London at a New Years party. We listened to some Dizzee, got high as fuck, and played Burnout. It was so unexceptional, and I think that kind of interaction started with PlayStation.
  • I knew three people with Amigas, two of whom never bothered much with consoles.  All of them migrated to the Playstation at launch or shortly after, staunchly refusing to entertain the idea of the Saturn.  Obviously I'm only basing this theory on those people....but did Amiga types gravitate toward Sony early on, in anyone else's experience?
  • Andy wrote:
    I know a lot of the indie stuff is available elsewhere, but the portability plus screen size makes it a great successor to the Vita as the place to play them, as far as I’m concerned.

This.  I'm not fussed with screen size, I quite like diddy handhelds really, but similar to my thoughts otherwise.  The Vita was an under-the-radar indie behemoth.
  • Yar. Vita and switch both v. solid re. Indies. Happy there’s still a machine that can carry that flag.
  • Dont think I explicitly voted, so just in case, PlayStation.
  • Playstation for me.

I do like the switch but damn the Playstation just has that special spot in my heart.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I tend to do this by a top 10 on each platform, mentally, but havent written it down generally.

PS1:
    * Wipeout 2097
    * Metal Gear Solid
    * FFVII
    Tenchu
    * Bushido Blade
    MediEvil
    Blasto
    * Parappa
    Resident Evil 2
    Tekken 3

* are ones Id happily play again today. The others are best left as memories.

Switch:

I'll limit this to games I have meaningully completed so far, which is a smaller list.

BOTW
    Mario Odyssey
    Into the Breach
    Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
    Steamworld Dig 2
    Puyo Tetris

Of these games, there are probably 4 that stand out as games that genuinely stunned me at the time. Wipeout 2097, Metal Gear, Bushido Blade and Breath of the Wild.

BOTW was the first game to do that in about 15 years (the gap from my purchase of Halo CE to BOTW). By sheer weight of impact that game had on jaded old me, I have to vote Switch.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Switch is a great piece of hardware and my kids love it, but having owned a Wii U, most of the stuff I've bought on it has been a known quantity (my choice I know), the polar opposite of my experience of the PlayStation which was relatively unknown.

I got mine for Christmas 95 with a demo disc and no games. That one track of Wipeout took a hammering as did the tech demo of the T-rex. Managed to get Wipeout, Loaded and Crazy Ivan but didn't have a memory card so I never really made any progress with them.

That generation seemed to last a long long time and probably outstayed it's welcome tbh and as a result there was a lot of trash

But, (and Cinty has made the case better than I even could) just to say GT 1&2, TOCA, Motorhead, Rollcage, Wild 9, Tekken, NFS Road Challenge, RE2, Soul Edge, Colin McRae 2, Wipeout 2097 all still bring back fond recollections for me. Good times

PlayStation please.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    Crazy Ivan

Incorrect spelling.  Think crazier.
  • PlayStation.

For similar reasons I voted NES > PS4.

Both had a positive impact on the industry overall and whilst we could argue if they didn't do it some one else would have, the reality is they did.

PS4 and Switch are both great consoles, but the excitement of NES after the Atari and the PlayStations part in the 3D revolution of the mid 90s are both high watermarks in gaming for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's 17-8 for the PS so let's call it there - can't see the winds blowing the other direction.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    QUARTER FINALS

https://challonge.com/jbk1mlle

Wii Vs SNES. I hate you all because this will be over by lunch time.
  • Dang. I was going to vote switch but it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Anyway I vote SNES because it was decent and the wii is poo.

Feel free to underline me in your list of people who are right about stuff, Reg.
  • SNES.

I worked the Wii launch at Game as a temp that year. Funnily enough I was in Glasgow on Saturday and saw my old boss from there now working as a greeter/welcome person at The Lego Store. Felt good.
  • This threads been worth it if only for Andys posts.
  • SNES.  Wii is a bit of an unsung hero when it comes to due respect for its software library - physical and digital - but the SNES is the big daddy Cane Corso of the thread.
  • SNES
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I knew three people with Amigas

i5CF3cO.jpg
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Snes. Wii was great, and wavy wavy is revolutionary stuff.
    Probably ahead of it's time.

But I can't, for the life of me, recall any memorable Wii games.
    In fact, off the top of my head, Wii Sports Baseball was probably the only thing I played avidly.

The Galaxy games were also ace tbf.
    I'm probably doing the console a bit of a disservice. I didn't even play Skyward Sword.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • SNES
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!