Le grand chien 3.0
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I knew three people with Amigas
    i5CF3cO.jpg

LOL
  • I think the SNES was an inevitable upgrade to the NES. I don’t think it did anything innovative, it just did the same thing better. Whereas the Wii was a real attempt to shake things up. As dyed in the wool gamers, we might feel it was a bit of a flop, but the numbers tell a different story – the Wii shifted a lot of units. It broke out of the gaming industry and sold as a family-friendly toy.

I vote Wii.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I knew three people with Amigas

i5CF3cO.jpg

Lol. Good work.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    God I fucking love my Wii.

B7qYUAk.jpg

Some just absolute bangers

7bZMcp1.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SNES is ok too

2gDoVAh.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Wii
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • SNES, but like moot said...
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Wii is a bit of an unsung hero when it comes to due respect for its software library

The he got this wrong though...
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    the SNES is the big daddy Cane Corso of the thread.

After seeing everything being voted for at least once now I think the 360 will be the easy winner.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not much point in lengthy explanations now I suppose. The Wii scraped through against the DS. The SNES is one of the all time greats.

SNES
  • Also surprised the Switch didn't put up more of a fight. I thought it might be a major contender here and didn't realise there was so much fondness for the ol' PS1.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Busy at work so SNES

Could explain more why later, but don’t really think I need to.
  • I’m gutted the Switch lost that round. I genuinely think it’s my favourite console of all time.
    It feels like it’s been made for me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fucking hell but the Wii line up

Beat the Beat Wubbalubbadubdub
    Bit Trip
    Ghost Squad
    House of the Deads
    Kirby Epic Yarn
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    The best Resi 4
    Wii Sports
    Mario Galaxy 1&2
    The Virtual Console
    Muramasa
    Silent Hill
    Project Rainfall
    Okami
    Little Kings Story
    No More Heroes 1&2

You people are animals
  • SNES, but like moot said...
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Wii is a bit of an unsung hero when it comes to due respect for its software library
    The he got this wrong though...
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    the SNES is the big daddy Cane Corso of the thread.
    After seeing everything being voted for at least once now I think the 360 will be the easy winner.

biggest-dog-breeds-in-the-world-00.jpg
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Some list of games

I played a grand total of ONE of those on my Wii.

On the other hand, I never even bought a SNES.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Also surprised the Switch didn't put up more of a fight. I thought it might be a major contender here and didn't realise there was so much fondness for the ol' PS1.

I also think we're all trying very hard to avoid what I like to call the Ricky Gervais bias (the technical term is the Present Bias, I think - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present_bias).

Gervais once cracked a joke about some dumb fuck channel 5 top 100 list show, voting the dance scene from The Office as the top TV moment of all time. In a world where we've had the coronation of the queen, the moon landings, Clinton's impeachment proceedings, etc...

The Dreamcast was pitched against the Snes too early, and it's buckled the tourney. :'P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    the Wii was a real attempt to shake things up.

Very good.
  • I had a lovely T-shirt with an illustration of a Wiimote smashing a TV screen.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fucking hell but the Wii line up Beat the Beat Wubbalubbadubdub Bit Trip Ghost Squad House of the Deads Kirby Epic Yarn Metroid Prime Trilogy The best Resi 4 Wii Sports Mario Galaxy 1&2 The Virtual Console Muramasa Silent Hill Project Rainfall Okami Little Kings Story No More Heroes 1&2 You people are animals
    Yeah, some good stuff but it's not that great, is it? Even some of that stuff gets a bit of a shrug, and it's not a long list. Solid, but no SNES.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fucking hell but the Wii line up Beat the Beat Wubbalubbadubdub Bit Trip Ghost Squad House of the Deads Kirby Epic Yarn Metroid Prime Trilogy The best Resi 4 Wii Sports Mario Galaxy 1&2 The Virtual Console Muramasa Silent Hill Project Rainfall Okami Little Kings Story No More Heroes 1&2 You people are animals

If you think theyre monsters, I'm currently in the process of selling half of these games on ebay.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I didn't vote in the last round because I couldn't make my mind up. I love the switch and don't care much about the PS1 but it was still tough. It was a console I owned and enjoyed but I didn't delve very deeply into its game library. Most of the titles I owned could be taken straight from the list of top 10 best selling PS1 games. Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy 7, Crash Bandicoot. All quality (at the time), all a big leap forward. But apart from ISS, I don't have really fond memories of playing them. ISS really was good though. Over the years, I've probably spent a thousand evenings with mates, housemates and others, playing Pro or ISS. It really wasn't anymore fun than the times of crowding into people's bedrooms when we were 16 and having a tournament. I remember getting the demo disc of the front of a magazine. You could only play the first half and someone had to be France and someone had to be Brazil. That kept us going for at least a month until people started coughing up to get the game. 

On the other hand, the Switch is just the perfect console for me. Needing to sit in a specific room, occupy the tv and carve out the block of time needed to play the playstation can be hard work. It's been this way for years now. Then switch came along and said here you go, just play this whenever, this is the full fat console, not reduced versions of the games you'd rather be playing. If you can get it on the tv, that's fine. If not, fuck it, play it in bed tonight. But then I've only had it 9 months and me sitting in bed and playing the thing isn't ever going to compete with adolescent ISS sessions.
  • @monkey which is why switch pes is necessary
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I gotta go SNES. I do like the Wii a lot and think it gets a bit of an unfair rep, plus it's effect on the wider culture as a whole is undeniable. Then again, you could say the SNES had the same effect.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Wii hosted some amazing games. Beyond the obvious wavy stuff of Wii Sports/Resort, we had a lot of classic Nintendo games. The 2 Mario Galaxy games, 2 Zelda games (no one played Twilight Princess on GameCube), NSMB, , Paper Mario Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Mario Kart and even a new Punch Out!

There was the light gun revival with House of the Dead Overkill, which is possibly the best lightgun game ever, re-releases of HotD 2&3, Dead Space extraction, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles and Ghost Squad. Although not quite the same, there was the excellent Sin & Punishment 2.

There were some quality puzzle games in Tetris Party and Boom Blox, RPGs in Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story, and some excellent sports titles that weren't mere ports (PES 2008, the Tiger Woods games, MLB.

Plus games like Madworld, Monster Hunter, the De Blob games, Lets Tap, Trauma Centre, Bit.Trip, a Boy and his Blob, Elebits, Muramasa, No More Heroes and more I've probably missed. We haven't even got into WiiWare.

Write off the Wii as mere novelty at your peril. There are a ton of great games on there, and varied ones at that.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Wii Fit turned exercise into a game. No mean feet.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yeah, some good stuff but it's not that great, is it? Even some of that stuff gets a bit of a shrug, and it's not a long list. Solid, but no SNES.

It’s also not a comprehensive list of every great game though.

Several more were covered earlier in the thread.
  • I thought this’d be an easy choice of SNES, but Reg’s list has reminded me of some of the great Wii games available.

I know we’re not supposed to consider backwards compatibility, but the Wii’s ability to play GameCube games, and the Virtual Console were aspects I really enjoyed.

The Super Nintendo vs Mega Drive was a wonderful era of gaming, two different machines offering vast libraries of wonderful exclusives.

I’m going to give this some more thought and vote later.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    @monkey which is why switch pes is necessary

Ah man... I'm just waiting for that.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!