Election 2019 - Hide in a fridge to win
  • The real question is what nation is going to launch a nuke at us anyway?
  • We’re basically living in a post-Nuclear dystopia already.
  • I just had a horrible vision of the future with Johnson-led Tories going expansionist and trying to build a new British Empire. It’s the only thing that’ll ever appease their deluded fanbase.
  • A privatised, out-sourced Empire maybe.

Botswana - in association with Group Four.

The People’s Republic of Virgin Airways (formerly the Falkland Isles)
  • Welcome to CAPITANIA
  • I think the nuke thing is a legitimate enough line of enquiry. Obviously the tabloid, "Corbyn security risk we all gonna get blowed up" angle is demented. But it costs £30 billion or whatever. The Tories say it's a deterrent, we have to say we'll use it for that deterrent to be effective, it gives us a seat on the 'top table' of global warmongers. You can agree with that or not. Labour on the other hand, are spending this money and won't defend it or even say if they'd ever use it, even in the extreme circumstances of the UK being under nuclear attack. What am I supposed to agree with there? Is it £30 billion up the wall or isn't it?
  • Great Britain - a part of the Poundland group
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Some quick analysis of Farage’s move here:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1193874186885840897

Might not be as bad as it first appears?
  • monkey wrote:
    I think the nuke thing is a legitimate enough line of enquiry. Obviously the tabloid, "Corbyn security risk we all gonna get blowed up" angle is demented. But it costs £30 billion or whatever. The Tories say it's a deterrent, we have to say we'll use it for that deterrent to be effective, it gives us a seat on the 'top table' of global warmongers. You can agree with that or not. Labour on the other hand, are spending this money and won't defend it or even say if they'd ever use it, even in the extreme circumstances of the UK being under nuclear attack. What am I supposed to agree with there? Is it £30 billion up the wall or isn't it?

Don't spend the money. Take those tens of billions of pounds and spend them on making society a better place for those of us who live in it, rather than on a fake insurance policy with a payout of millions dead.

If there was a meaningful nuclear exchange between countries, it would make not one single fucking iota of difference whether the PM pressed the button as to the survivability of the majority of people in the world.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Plus Corbyn should point out that if it did come to Boris pressing the button, it's an even chance that he'd probably end up nuking the Isle of Man or something by mistake.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • monkey wrote:
    I think the nuke thing is a legitimate enough line of enquiry. Obviously the tabloid, "Corbyn security risk we all gonna get blowed up" angle is demented. But it costs £30 billion or whatever. The Tories say it's a deterrent, we have to say we'll use it for that deterrent to be effective, it gives us a seat on the 'top table' of global warmongers. You can agree with that or not. Labour on the other hand, are spending this money and won't defend it or even say if they'd ever use it, even in the extreme circumstances of the UK being under nuclear attack. What am I supposed to agree with there? Is it £30 billion up the wall or isn't it?

It's £30 billion up the wall regardless of if you say you'll use it or not. It's a deterrent that doesn't deter, and has no place in a modern military. The only reason we're replacing Trident is the jobs involved in making and maintaining it, a reason that is never applied to non-military projects.
  • “There’s no denying that my accidental nuking of the Hebrides was something of a mistake. I’ve apologised already, to the families of those vaporised and the owners of holiday homes in the region. But I will not stand for this leftie, remoaner-led caricature of me as somekind of clumsy, oafish upper class cock-up merchant. When the time came to press the button - I pressed it! Whether I pressed the correct button or not is frankly irrelevant!”

EDIT: damn autocorrect
  • I think the nuke thing is a legitimate enough line of enquiry. Obviously the tabloid, "Corbyn security risk we all gonna get blowed up" angle is demented. But it costs £30 billion or whatever. The Tories say it's a deterrent, we have to say we'll use it for that deterrent to be effective, it gives us a seat on the 'top table' of global warmongers. You can agree with that or not. Labour on the other hand, are spending this money and won't defend it or even say if they'd ever use it, even in the extreme circumstances of the UK being under nuclear attack. What am I supposed to agree with there? Is it £30 billion up the wall or isn't it?
    It's £30 billion up the wall regardless of if you say you'll use it or not. It's a deterrent that doesn't deter, and has no place in a modern military. The only reason we're replacing Trident is the jobs involved in making and maintaining it, a reason that is never applied to non-military projects.
    Not if you don't spend it.

They should have been prepared for this particular line of attack really. They don't have to say they'll use it, just say they're committed to renewal as a deterrent. Corbyn can wiggle around the question saying his role as a backbench campaigner is very different from his role as PM, with different responsibilities but he can't list out the circumstances he would and wouldn't fire it.

If it was I, monkey, I would say that only a handful of people know what Britain's policy actually is, I don't know it, you don't know it, (points to whichever Tory lickspittle is asking the question) it's under lock and key on a submarine somewhere, it almost certainly says "In the event of nuclear attack, phone Nato and co-ordinate with them." The specifics of the thing would have been worked out over decades by defence experts, and I would almost certainly keep the same policy intact. To tell you anymore is to threaten this nation's security. Vote monkey for all your armageddon dreams to come true.

The best answer is Grem's one but we're too stupid to go for that.
  • Not spending it is not a possibility. It's already been approved 3 years ago, and we've started building them.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fracking ban u-turn has happened marginally quicker than expected...

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-fracking-ban-u-turn-shale-gas-general-election-921414
  • This country is ridiculously fucked.
  • It’s be funny if it wasn’t, y’know, where we live.
  • Might look into moving to Scotland in 2021
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Same.
    Gonna just go and live in my brother's shed.
  • Plenty of spare rooms and sofas up here if you want to crash when househunting.
  • I'm so fucking depressed
  • I prepared for disappointment and it didn't do shit
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got an Irish passport with my name on it lined up in a few years time.
  • I prepared for disappointment and it didn't do shit

Should have prepared better instead of drinking coffees or eggplant.
    Boomer Liv has spoken.
  • I feel like drinking eggplant right now
  • I've got an Irish passport with my name on it lined up in a few years time.

I got fuck all. This is my good passport. The other is one only good for free orange overalls

• LivDiv wrote:
    I prepared for disappointment and it didn't do shit
    Should have prepared better instead of drinking coffees or eggplant. Boomer Liv has spoken.

The Rise (and Fall) of Boomer Liv
  • He is surely the best of us.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!