Election 2019 - Hide in a fridge to win
  • Thanks Monkey, appreciate the thoughtful answer.

I'll say that the Libdems can still get fucked, but if they help (or have helped) to clarify Labour's Brexit strategy, and if they force Labour to better represent remainers as a result, then at least they're useful arseholes.
  • They might also be useful in that their current approach would seem to appeal most to Tory remainers. Some Labour remainers as well, but more the Tories, I think. If they can attract enough of them, it might do some good.
  • But for those more on the Left, I'm increasingly of the opinion that even tactical voting for the Lib Dems should be last resort - i.e. only if it's a really close Lib/Tory marginal seat and Labour are completely out of the picture.

After all, Tory-Lib Dem coalition is a possibility.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Turn in the scary stories Jon, Halloween has been and gone.
  • The LibDems would form a coalition with Farages lot if it would get them closer to power, the cunts.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I haven't even heard a policy out of them yet other than revoke art.50.

It is all about how they can also wear big kid pants and increasingly how Swinson can be PM.
  • Look at the headline. On the front page it's "Corbyn says...", Here it's "insists." Quote tags.

"Corbyn: Labour's Brexit stance isn't complicated" is a headline it could have used. It has used that sort of headline. You could even add the word really.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Not "Swinson insists she really can be the next PM"

• It’s weird that this is news now - it’s exactly what was said at the party launch (and yes - in those exact words “not that complicated”). But, leaving aside shoulder chips / axes that need grinding - this is the right call. It’s the only option that attempts to bring the country together, and it’s also the best one for preventing no deal. The straight revoke option is poison for democracy and, if lost (which it probably would be under the Lib Dem’s) would commit the country to bending over and getting fucked.

Any party running in a pure remain, revoke A50 platform at the moment is knowingly jeopardising the country just so they have a vote-winning “I told you so” later. Cynical, callous tosh.
  • He did brilliantly today. I challenge all to go find fault with what he is saying. If you really listen, remain or leave, the complaint is the same and the fix is the same, a Govt and policies that work for the people.
  • In the 2015 general election, the Tories were committed to re-negotiating a new relationship with the EU, then putting that new deal to the British people in an In/Out referendum. Their leader wouldn't be drawn on what side he would eventually take in that referendum. 

I can't quite remember what the media's reaction was but I assume they all lost their shit and went on about it for day after day while voters heads exploded at the sheer complexity of it all.
  • I saw the Corbo press conference and it was decent. He's helped by having his army of little Jeremies in the audience to laugh and cheer at all his best lines. I don't think the Johnson v Corbyn debates are going to be quite as good for the Tories as they seem to think though.
  • Johnson will just shout and interrupt for the whole thing.

The electorate will see it as a sign of strength because that is what little England like. They dont want to have a conversation, or to listen to sensible policy, they want to be fucked by a rutting pig.
  • Taking a step back and looking at Labour strategy, I think their message is a little too complicated for the electorate to easily digest, if you consider that electorate to be formed of roughly 3 camps: hardcore remain, spectrum of people in the middle, and hardcore leave.

For hardcore remain, there's something there: whatever new WAB is negotiated is irrelevant, they'll get the chance to vote remain again in the referendum. OK, so keep referendum in manifesto, good.

For bunch of people in the middle, they're not sure what they're going to get: am I voting for a remain party or a leave party? Or neither? And yet more negotiation, for what? Do I care enough about the details here?

For the hardcore leave (and that sliver of those who are traditional Labour voters), a renegotiated WAB based on customs union and/or single market doesn't appeal much, and a referendum less so: current Labour policy for these guys is a non-starter.

My point, I suppose, is that I'm not sure why they're bothering with the "we'll get a better deal from the EU in 6 months" bit. Just promise a referendum based on "a" deal vs remain, and then say the PLP won't be whipped either way so it's up to them to answer awkward Qs about their intention in the referendum. It's a clearer message, it removes several attack vectors from Tories and hostile media, and I'm really not sure that this "new deal" appeals to enough leavers, of any shade, other than perhaps a tiny sliver of very soft leavers - and they aren't worth this pain.
  • I mean, the lines write themselves: if the Tories attack them for wanting a second ref, then just say "but Boris' deal is apparently brilliant, so it should stand up to the public", etc. Just dodge the whole "new deal" thing altogether, it's not necessary nor helpful to their cause imo
  • It seems pretty important to send the message that Boris's deal is shit though. Saying they'll keep it isn't a good plan.
  • All this brexit bollocks aint that important when the planet is fucked, i'm voting for Greta and XR
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I mean, the lines write themselves: if the Tories attack them for wanting a second ref, then just say "but Boris' deal is apparently brilliant, so it should stand up to the public", etc. Just dodge the whole "new deal" thing altogether, it's not necessary nor helpful to their cause imo

I suppose for me - and maybe I’m being incredibly naive here, that’s certainly a possibility - I’m thinking that in that middle camp (and even in the remain / leave camps) there will be people who can swallow or accept the least damaging compromise.

I’ve no idea if that’s doable in this climate. But I’ve said elsewhere in politics threads that I’m at the point now where I want remain, but I’ll happily accept some form of leave deal that tries its best to cover and protect as many people (in the Uk and Europe) as possible.

It’s not “I want it done”. To be honest, this is a big deal, I can wait until we get it right. It’s “I want us to start fixing our problems with each other”.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cons getting in early with the misinformation:

https://fullfact.org/news/keir-starmer-gmb/

It’s going to be a long few weeks.

Edit: useful short vid from the Beeb breaking this down:

https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1191842845134639111
  • Fucking scumbags.
  • Cleverly was on the news this morning defending that video as 'satirical' and 'edited' rather than fake or misleading. What a cunt that man is. The Comical Ali of the Tories.
  • Djornson wrote:
    All this brexit bollocks aint that important when the planet is fucked, i'm voting for Greta and XR

The Tories will continue to encourage the raping and pillaging of our planet in the interest of a quick buck. Labour would change public policies to at least attempt to mitigate the damage our country and others are doing. This isn’t just about Brexit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Like a stopped watch...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Like a stopped watch...

...He deserves to be smashed in the face with a hammer?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He did brilliantly today. I challenge all to go find fault with what he is saying. If you really listen, remain or leave, the complaint is the same and the fix is the same, a Govt and policies that work for the people.

I agree.

Maybe it's cometh the hour.

I like his relaxed style (which was referenced Fallout it's the result of how he was trained). A debate with Johnson may actually be interesting to watch as it won't be a case of 2 people trying to out bluster one another.

However I'm afraid the declared "winner" will be more a reflection on the electorate than the participants' performance.  The apparant appetite for Johnson's lies seems to be relentless.

Brexit is a distraction now wrt this GE. In or out ,what will matter more is who is in charge.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I suppose for me - and maybe I’m being incredibly naive here, that’s certainly a possibility - I’m thinking that in that middle camp (and even in the remain / leave camps) there will be people who can swallow or accept the least damaging compromise. I’ve no idea if that’s doable in this climate. But I’ve said elsewhere in politics threads that I’m at the point now where I want remain, but I’ll happily accept some form of leave deal that tries its best to cover and protect as many people (in the Uk and Europe) as possible. It’s not “I want it done”. To be honest, this is a big deal, I can wait until we get it right. It’s “I want us to start fixing our problems with each other”.

I should have been clearer - I meant electoral Brexit strategy. In general, I've come to believe that despite ANY deal being objectively worse than our current EU situation, a CU/SM basis for trade negotiations will be the "no-one's happy but no-one's rioting" way out of this shit (with the slim possibility of a Remain referendum vote combined with serious progressive social and economic policy reform still an unlikely alternative).

But from a GE perspective, given the choice between:

- Simply committing to a referendum and hand-waving over future negotiations / potential deals and lambasting Johnson's shit WAB,
    or
    - Trying to explain their current strategy of new negotiations, a soft leave WAB then a referendum, and not being able to straightforwardly answer whether the leader or any front bencher will even campaign in favour of this "better" WAB;

I believe Labour should choose the former. Every broadcaster, every journalist is asking the same thing: "if you get this new better deal, will you campaign for it during a referendum?", no answer. Then the follow-up: "if I vote Labour am I voting for remain or leave?" which is dumb because of course in theory you could be voting for either, but it's impossible again for them to answer and is a clear follow up to the first question. It's taking all the oxygen from what will be a progressive manifesto that could change people's lives - everything is about this weird "future better deal but Labour can't even get behind their OWN deal" narrative
  • Of course they could just front up and be honest:

"I personally will campaign for Remain as I personally believe that is best for the country, but I, and the Labour Party, cannot ignore the millions of people who voted to Leave, so we will go back to the EU to negotiate a better deal than Johnson's terrible betrayal. Then we can offer the country the best choice possible in a referendum, which will represent the will of both halves of the country; with a deal which protect worker's rights, protects the environment, protects our businesses and our citizens"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!