Election 2019 - Hide in a fridge to win
  • Monkey cannot win here!
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Spoiler:
  • For many the problem with the Lib Dems is their appearance of selling out and becoming Tory lap dogs.
    They failed to deliver almost all of their manifesto and even voted against it on certain points like tuition fees.
    What did pass generaly had overlap with Tory policy or was fairly insignificant.
    They also failed to stem the tide of some of the worst Tory policy.

The two articles below go through the 2010 Tory and Lib Dem manifestos and if the policies were met. Published in 2015.

The result was that a Lib Dem vote ended up pretty much being a Tory vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/15/how-much-of-the-liberal-democrats-2010-election-manifesto-was-implemented

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/14/how-much-of-the-conservatives-2010-election-manifesto-was-implemented
  • Everyone knew the Tories were appalling cunts and expected the horrible things they wrought upon us, whereas the Lib Dem’s had a vaguely pleasant, well meaning, ‘nice but useless’ reputation as mild mannered sandal wearers who were sort of all right really, if you ignored their general lack of ideological consistency and all round wetness.

Before Clegg you might consider the Lib Dem's as a potential protest vote, if things weren’t going as you’d like with Labour (post-Iraq for instance) and there was little real chance of the Tories getting in. Now you just think they’re actually worse than the Tories, who at least have the decency to be upfront about their agenda of maintaining the wealth of the wealthy and trampling all over the rest of us, cackling to themselves as they do so.

Swinson’s an empty vacuous mediabot to me, created in a laboratory for the benefit of people who don’t want to see Labour take their money but still like to think of themselves as quite nice people underneath it all. They’re not ready to go full on selfish bastard and vote Conservative but they’re none too impressed with this Corbyn chap and his loony, non-mainstream Utopianism. “A distinct lack of sensible moderation to this Corbyn ... and where’s his weary practicality? We all have to make tough decisions y’know...”

Or maybe they just see Brexit as their everything (which I can at least sort of understand).

Clegg’s a fucking cunt, obviously and his stench will linger for a longtime. Charles Kennedy, I quite liked really. It’s a shame his legacy has been so thoroughly trashed.

As ever: imo, etc.
  • They were the junior partners in a coalition so you can argue forever about how much of their manifesto they could have / should have implemented. All three parties had some kind of spending cut commitments. All of them were a bit vague about who they’d fuck over. The LDs positioned themselves as the common sense moderates who wouldn’t let the Tories hack the state to the bone. Then they gleefully jumped on board the austerity bandwagon, defending each budget, as the Tories went further and further.

2012, the omnishambles budget, when the wheels really started falling off the policy of cutting, was the time for a re think. But still they went on, propping up the government as it swept the legs out from under the poor, the young, the incapable, the people the Lib Dems pride themselves on looking out for.
    Although it's now hard to recall, the party ran on an anti-austerity platform at the general election, opposing any in-year spending cuts. In March, for instance, Clegg declared that "merrily slashing now is an act of economic masochism", adding that he would not compromise on this point in any coalition negotiations. "If anyone had to rely on our support, and we were involved in government, of course we would say no." On 1 May, less than a week before polling day, he reaffirmed his position: "My eight-year-old ought to be able to work this out -- you shouldn't start slamming on the brakes when the economy is barely growing. If you do that you create more joblessness, you create heavier costs on the state, the deficit goes up even further and the pain with dealing with it is even greater. So it is completely irrational."

Yet once the results were in and parliament was "hung", the Lib Dems made no attempt to keep their pledge to oppose immediate cuts, abandoning it even before they entered coalition negotiations with the Tories. Nor was this merely a pre-emptive attempt to appease Cameron and Osborne in the hope of concessions elsewhere. As Andrew Adonis's excellent 5 Days In May (which I have reviewed for this week's NS) reveals, the Lib Dems insisted in their talks with Labour that "there could and should be immediate in-year spending cuts for 2010/11 and 'further and faster' spending cuts than Labour's plans thereafter."

More wretchedness in the link.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/why-did-lib-dems-really-u-turn-spending-cuts-2010
  • I'll never forgive the Orange Book cunts for destroying the Lib Dems.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    However, perhaps more have been adopted than might have been expected for a minor party in a coalition.

I can only see one example of them voting in the opposite direction to their manifesto; tuition fees. Which the Conservatives made a condition of the coalition. Edit: The austerity argument appears to trump this.
  • On tuition fees, Osborne apparently said they could abstain and Clegg insisted they would vote for it.
  • My fear is Swinson is going to do the exact same thing.
    Drop revoke, agree to put a ref to Parliament but not back it.

She can be the first female Clegg.
  • monkey wrote:
    On tuition fees, Osborne apparently said they could abstain and Clegg insisted they would vote for it.

Clegg, thinking to himself: “This act of shameless & unnecessary toadying will no doubt see me rewarded further down the line...”

*cut to five years later, as Osborne bids farewell to his erstwhile coalition colleague*

Clegg’s brain: “...bollocks”
  • Yeah, according to Camerons book, Osbourne could see the damage it would do to the Lib Dems, and thought it might bring the coalition down.
  • You read ‘the pigfucker diaries’?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d vote Lib Dem if I were in a Con/Dem marginal, at least their Brexit policy is better than the Tories’. Even if Brexit weren’t an issue, anything to make a Conservative majority less likely is probably worthwhile. They may end up in a coalition and it may end up making zero difference to how we are governed, but there’s a small chance it might offer some mitigation, perhaps. Not that it’s a choice I’m ever likely to have to make.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    You read ‘the pigfucker diaries’?

Christ no, it was an extract in one of the papers.
  • Ah right. I deliberately avoided all coverage of it, too annoying.
  • I'd quite like to see a Larry Davido parody of se.of those extracts, struck me they were apt for satirising
  • Stanley Chow has done a Jeremy Corbyn poster for free download here to liven up our windows and annoy the neighbouring Tories during the election run in:
    https://ibb.co/8Mgmk3W
    You can buy A3 print for £1 here too:
    http://www.thestanleychowprintshop.com/product/vote-labour-poster
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Last week it was antisemitism, this week the Corbyn whipping stick is "will he press the nuclear button?".
    Asked to Thornberry btw, not Corbyn.
  • Well, it’s Armistice Day. The obvious day to ask about genocidal tendencies.
  • In news that will surprise basically no-one, Farage has just announced that the Brexit Party will only be contesting Labour and remain party-held seats, rather than all of them, with a view to giving the Tories an easier ride. That can't be good.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've been over loads of that type of crap with my pals. They're worried about nukes, ISIS moving in next door and the collapse of the economy should evil Jeremy Palpatine ever get power.

So I asked if they know what the Tory politics of fear thing was all about, and they said yeah. Unbelievable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    In news that will surprise basically no-one, Farage has just announced that the Brexit Party will only be contesting Labour and remain party-held seats, rather than all of them, with a view to giving the Tories an easier ride. That can't be good.

That's it done then. It's a stich up job by the Tories.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yay we’re fucked.
  • Seems fair enough to me if the Greens and Libs etc are doing it. The electoral system is broken. It’s a problem because Remain can’t get their act together.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50374630

BBC ‘accidentally’ broadcasts cenotaph footage from three years ago, when Boris was foreign sec and looked relatively smart, rather than from this year when he looked like a fucking bin man and proceeded to place his wreath upside down.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Seems fair enough to me if the Greens and Libs etc are doing it. The electoral system is broken. It’s a problem because Remain can’t get their act together.

Are they? Unless it's done in collaboration with Labour it's pointless.

• That is an out and out fucking lie. Fuck the BBC, shower of cunts.
    That old footage would be archived.
  • monkey wrote:
    Seems fair enough to me if the Greens and Libs etc are doing it. The electoral system is broken. It’s a problem because Remain can’t get their act together.

There’s about 60 seats where they’re doing it. But yeah without Labour it’s not going to be that effective. Seats where Labour are going to be third they shouldn’t be standing in.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Last week it was antisemitism, this week the Corbyn whipping stick is "will he press the nuclear button?". Asked to Thornberry btw, not Corbyn.

I think the best way to answer that is to reframe the question.

"That's an interesting question, how many civilians would I be willing to murder. We rightly regard the events of September 11th 2001 as atrocities because they were attacks targeted at civilians and cost the lives of nearly 3,000 people. With a nuclear attack, a single missile would murder hundreds of thousands in an instant, with the effects on survivors of the initial blast taking that into millions.

If the architects of September 11th are regarded as monsters, and the deaths I would cause make that number pale into insignificance, then what would that make me?"
  • monkey wrote:

Plaid Cymru aren’t standing in Cardiff to help the Lib Dem’s.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!